Dazzled's Big Mig Build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Big Mig Build

Post by Dazzled »

While the second coat of green on the -15 dries and the Swordfish wing sets up, I thought I'd wheel the Mig-21UM back on to the bench.

I still have things to address with the kit before the fuselage goes together. One thing that's bugging me is the jet exhaust. It's not even close to realistic. I could buy an aftermarket resin one but I've already spent more on this kit than I'd like to tell the wife about so I decided to have a bash at some DIY improvement.

The main problem is that there's no depth to the jetpipe. To remedy this I cast about for a suitable piece of tube. A quick rummage in the "handy bits" box turned up a medicine syringe that was the perfect diameter. It's polythene rather than plastic but it's nothing that can't be overcome.

Firstly I sawed off the end.

Then I squared it off and gave the inside a couple of coats of Tamiya metallic grey and, while I was about it, I trimmed the kit "engine rear bit" to size. I think it's meant to represent the afterburner ring but it looks more like a turbine. I painted this up to give it a burnt look.

I painted the inner ends of the fuselage metallic grey too. The picture shows just now close to the rear the ring/turbine would have been.

Finally, and in line with my suspicion of all tricycle aircraft as potential tail-sitters, I added some weight to the nose.

Hopefully, fuselage closure will happen very soon.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just a little update on the two Migs currently on my work bench.

1. The Airfix Mig-15.

Painting is now finished, apart from a few touch ups. I just gave the upper surfaces a coat of Klear ready for decals.

I'm quite pleased with it so far and it's getting close to complete.

2. The Intech Mig-21UM

This one is naturally requiring a bit more work than the Airfix -15 but I do finally have the fuselage halves together.

The seams can best be described as "interesting" so a bit of filling, sanding and general tinkering will be needed to fettle them into something resembling an acceptable fit.

I am, however, quite pleased with the improvement in the jet-pipe.

It may not look much but it's a lot better than the kit's original idea. The "fan" rested where the end of the tube now is, far too close to the rear.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Hey Dazzled some very nice builds going on :grin: I really like the Hungarian Mig very nice colour scheme. I have some Migs in the stash a Mig 29 and a Mig 29ub both Academy in 1/48 also the Linden Hill Turkmenistan Air Force decal sheet (cause I go there a fair bit) I just need the Revell 1/48 Mig 25 and the Revell 1/48 Mil 24 plus a 1/48 Frogfoot standard and the UB to finish the decal sheet. Look forward to more of your Mig builds mate.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'd like to build a couple in 1/48th, especially those Eduard Mig-21s, but I have to keep it real as far as shelf space is concerned. I wonder if my cabinets would even hold a big scale Mig-25.

It may be fun finding out ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Got a little more done to the -15 over the last couple of days.

The cannon have been fitted and the decals are applied. There are an awful lot of stencil decals in this kit and I did use the majority of them.

I needed a little lie down afterwards :roll: .

My nod toward weathering on this one was to highlight the panel lines with a fine propelling pencil.

Post decalling, the model was given a coat of matt varnish and has been put aside to dry.

More updates on the Migs soon.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Pugz636
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Pugz636 »

Im loving the -15, cant wait to see the Mig-21 finished, its gonna be a bit of a mahoosive project if
you are gonna model every Mig....

Good job so far, watching with Interest
Pugz

2016 A:6:B:2 c: 1 ,2015 A:7 B:1 C:0 2014 A:2 B:1 C:0 (2013 A:22 B:1 C:0) (2012 A:3 B:2 C:0) (2011 A:4 B:8 C:1)
IPMS #12527
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great looking Mig-15 & the two seater Mig-21 is coming together nicely.

Excellent work on the engine.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Wow, that Mig-15 looks fantastic! And I love the camo.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I finally managed to get a short blast at the model bench during which I pushed the -15 to a conclusion.

I'd already got the u/c on so it was just a few doors, the airbrakes and the spine aerial to attach and a quick touch up where I'd removed mould gates etc.

And here it is.

Also worthy of a closer look is the Eduard etched cockpit set, even if the cruel close up shows some flaws with the paint on the framing. I've just put this right before putting it in the cabinet alongside the Mig-3 and -29.

My next Mig, apart from the ongoing -21UM will be a Hasegawa Mig-25 with a resin cockpit set and some a/m decals. Either Ukraine or Algeria I think. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Wonderful camo job mate. An excellent looking Mig.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Oh well. It seems as though Picture Trail won't let me upload any more pictures.

Looks like I'll have to try to get Photobucket to do something to fix my account :sad:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

OR you could try using Imgur.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for the suggestion. Imgur is quite handy but there is the necessity to manually resize pictures to bring them down to usable parameters for the forum. Photobucket, for all it's faults, does this automatically.

I guess I'm just lazy but I do tend to put a lot of pictures in a build thread.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gomergizmo »

Photobucket has been a real problem last couple days.

Nice job on the Hungarian Mig15
Professor Polarbear
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Lovely job on the 15, looks tremendous in those colours! Looking forward to the 21,

Zee

Return to “Aviation Modelling”