Yellowjacks!

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Yellowjacks!

Post by Dazzled »

In mt quest to complete a few "ongoing projects" this pair of Airfix's lovely new Gnats has shimmied it's way back on to the bench.

Those of you that remember the Gnat SKGB may recall that it was my intention to build a flight display of two aircraft by utilising an SM Silk decal sheet and an Airfix Dogfight Double stand liberated from a Spitfire/Bf110.

And this was how far I got.

Unfortunately the canopies crazed slightly, possibly from some odd reaction with the Clearfix but removal and cleaning with a cotton bud got them clean and clear again.

Today I reattached the canopies and masked them off before giving the models an undercoat.

OK, they now look more like blackjacks than yellowjacks but black is a good base colour for yellow (plus I had a spray can to hand). I wanted one of the Gnats to be the lead aircraft, so some masking on the fin was necessary to leave a black identification panel. Then it was time for the finish colour.
For this I chose Tamiya X-8 (lemon yellow), nice and glossy and a good looking match for my references.
Now, as many of us know, yellow can be a bit of a pig to paint so it was fingers crossed. Mixing the paint with the correct amount of thinners was a little difficult and I eventually ended up with a rather thinner mixture than I normally like. Not discouraged, I set about building the colour up gradually. With two models on the bench this wasn't so difficult, with one model getting a few minutes for the paint to set while I applied a coat to the other. After about three coats each this was how they looked.

Unfortunately, at this point, I ran out of paint :frown: . But, on the bright side, I'm planning a trip to Cardiff on Saturday and I always visit the model shops (don't we all) with a list of paint and supplies wedged securely in my wallet, and the X-8 has been duly added so more progress will follow in a couple of days.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
skypirate

Re: Yellowjacks!

Post by skypirate »

Dazzled wrote:more progress will follow in a couple of days.
I look forward to that!

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And after my trip to Cardiff and a not immodest outlay on paints (14 Tamiya acrylics and 4 Humbrol enamels), with Mrs Dazzled looking over my shoulder, I'm back in a position to pregress the Yellowjacks.

So, several more coats of X-8 through the trusty Aztek got a nice solid yellow.

I'm pretty pleased with it although, at one point, I thought I'd never get good coverage. Such is the joy of yellow aircraft ;-)

While I was waiting for the paint I decided to assemble and position the stand. It's a standard dogfight double item but I have filled in the little cross-shaped hole for the Airfix logo and then gave it a nice paint job.

Tamiya X-14 sky blue. Well, they fly in the sky so I thought "why not?".

Not bad progress for someone suffering from food poisoning 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Looking very good there Looking forward to seeing the finished model. That blue one on the decal sheet looks interesting. A little tip though. try yellow over a white or very pale grey base coat. You'll use much less paint to get a good coverage.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Great Idea for my future display!!! :grin:
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Today was decal time :grin:

This wasn't exactly uneventful as I used a mixture of SM Silk and Airfix decals and had to get some online references as to the actual markings for the aircraft I wanted to represent. This was necessary as the SM colour plans are far from comprehensive and the sheet doesn't include a great deal in the way of stencilling. On the bright side, a bit of research showed that the Yellowjack Gnats carried very few stencils and all the missing ones are provided by Airfix. Another issue with the SM decals was their eagerness to curl over when being applied. All in all I wasn't too impressed, particularly as they weren't exactly at the cheap end of aftermarket decal sets :frown: .

Unfortunately, the decal sheet didn't have enough black "XR"s or enough "9"s to make 2 aircraft. To overcome the first problem I snipped up a couple of "1"s to convert "XP"s into "XR"s. For the second problem upside down sixes were used, hence I managed to get XR992 and XR996 out of the sheet. I also used the roundels from the Airfix kits as they seemed to be closer to the correct size and had better colour density to boot!

After decals and attaching the dorsal aeriels, the models were given a good dose of Klear to seal in the decals.

They should be dry by now so it's on to the finishing touches 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Which are:

Attach the landing light lenses
Shove the exhausts into the tails
Stick the models onto the stand
Oh....and take the masking tape off :oops:

And the result is....

I knocked up a simple placard on my PC. Forgot to mention that.

And that's that. The Gnat SKGB finished.....AT LAST :-D

Two completions in a week. For me that's virtually light speed ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Great looking models, but I believe you need a darker background to show off your work, maybe a blue?

Regards,
Bruce
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Great Look!
Impressive, really a good Job! :)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Superbly done. I really like what you've done with the stand. The blue makes the display feel a lot more dynamic than black. The wife agrees too.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Oh yes, very nice display, well done. Lovely and colourful, and superb in formation.

Cheers
Jim
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Very shiney stuff! Good repair with the canopies they look lovely and clear.
running at the edge of their world
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Those look well smart and nicely posed too.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

They look......very yellow. :-D

Great build.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
jelly071