1:32 Revell Hurricane IIC

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Boldman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: 1:32 Revell Hurricane IIC

Post by Boldman »

...a week goes by...

Actually it was a very enjoyable week even though hardly any modelling work got done. Celebrated my birthday on Monday with my girlfriend in London, had a great time. She's likely to be making more visits in the future now she knows how nice my new house is, so I'm going to have to do some work on getting the shed habitable as the model gear will bet forced out into the shed. In the meantime, as soon as she left, it all got put back in the workroom and progress was resumed!

We are not the stage of painting now, so first off lets try some pre-shading...

yeah, I'm not very good with the pre-shading yet. Still need to practice it more! Next was the underside. This was a custom mix of Tamiya XF 18 with some buff added to fade it out a little. The paint surface came out VERY matt, so had to be sanded down a little, but worked out okay. The pre-shading doesn't really show through very well - again more practice needed.

On the topside, I sprayed the inner port wing with a patch of flat aluminium and coated it with a layer of Klear and then when dry, a layer of hairspray. This is to allow some paint chipping where there will be wear from the pilot mounting the aircraft. It will also be the area where my father's figure will be sitting.

I then masked the entire underside and once the hairspray patch was fully dry, sprayed the entire topside with another custom mix of XF 52 and buff again to give it a mode faded/sun-bleached look. While this was drying I scanned a page from the On Target Profile 12, hawker Hurricane in RAD and Commonwealth Service by Aviation Workshop. This page depicts a Hurricane IID from 5 Sqn in July 1953. I resized the scanned image and printed it out to use as templates for the masking of the RAF green. The scan and print out came out slightly small which worked nicely as I was using blue tac to shape the exact demarcation lines of the camo so this worked out well.

The detached tail and elevators were similarly masked and one of the removed panels from the port side was also masked to add the green camo. Again I used a custom mix of XF-81 Dark Green 2 (RAF) with some buff to simulate the sun fading and sprayed this as well. Once the masking was off, I could finally see if my masking of the open panels and cockpit had leaked...

and I am very pleased to say that they didn't!!! Phew!

I then removed the tissue packing/masking from the wheel well:

I've also done the paint chipping on the port wing and next job will be to give this the whole things a spray with Klear to form the base for the panels washes and initial weathering.

Finally for this update, I order some laser-cut paper Jungle foliage which I've then painted with oil paints to give an interesting variation to the vegetation:

Not entirely sure it works well - I may need to add more to make it a bit more "jungle-like" - any suggestions?
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

Its finished!

I haven't posted much during the later stages of painting because it was pretty standard fair - Klear, weathering, klear, decals, klear, matt varnish, last bits of weathering.

The only construction elements were adding the undercarriage legs and wheels, although that was not simple nor straightforward as the modifications needed to fit with the GMF Resin wheelbays meant a lot of realigning, detaching the doors from the legs, rebuilding the extra door panels and general alignment issues. I also manage to break off the pilots step two or three times and had to eventually rebuild it as the hoop got swallowed by the carpet monster.

Since taking these photos I've realised I've forgotten to attach the pilot's rer-view mirror and the pilot tube under the wing doh! Anyway here are the photos of the completed diorama...

I'm very happy to have finished but somewhat frustrated that there are still numerous faults with the model. The vast majority of these come down to the awful Revell kit. This really is a bad kit and IMHO if you own it, use it as landfill as its nothing but junk! The GMF additions help, but generate their own issues, not least with the interaction between the Mk II nose and the cockpit interior. They really need to sort that out.

Anyway, here it is - I doubt if it will win any prizes, but its an interesting diorama and I am happy with it for all its shortcomings :) I know I will definitely produce a better model later in the year when I do the 1:32 Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb trop converted into a Vc trop as would have been used when my Dad was with 81 Sqn in Algeria in 1943! Watch for that one later this year :D
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

AWESOME. That's a stunning tribute. well done.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Nax »

Unkn real, Stunning, awesome, stunning, fantastic, brilliant, ace, I don't know what to say. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
Wookie13
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Wookie13 »

Superb job!
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

Thanks guys :)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Really good. Great pose too. Good work with a classic kit.
So many models, so little time.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

That is just superb mate. Excellent concept, excellent build (silk purse from a sow's ear), and an excellent, detailed build report posted here (thank you) all culminating in an excellent finished product. The scene is evocative enough as it is, even without realising the personal connection with your Dad, so don't worry about the detail that you know is wrong, just enjoy the praise from your fellow modellers for a job very, very well done. ;-)

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, very well done, and I'm happy to see that your efforts on the interior under the panels came out so well !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Boldman

Post by Boldman »

Thank you gents, it was a relief to finally finish it. I must admit to struggling with motivation toward the end as I began to see more and more faults from the original kit that I couldn't fix anymore.

...and now on to something much easier as an antidote...

Return to “Aviation Modelling”