Pete's 1/72 Junkers 388 project...

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
pete1979
Series 3 and Beyond

Pete's 1/72 Junkers 388 project...

Post by pete1979 »

This is an ongoing project but first let me explain how it came about. The model was purchased off ebay as a kit. The photo was poor so I was none the wiser. The seller refunded the money after agreeing that it wasn't a kit.He said I could keep it, so I decided to save it. It's a Frank Modelbau (Airmodel?) vacform conversion kit for the Matchbox Ju188, missing decals and vacform canopy.

It came with 1/72 scale plans so (after toying with the idea of modifying a Junkers 88 kit too fit and even purchasing a Matchbox Junkers 188) I decided to scratchbuild the missing parts! The only parts you get are the two body halves,engine cowls and a pod for the underside.

I've constructed the body - easy enough.

Made the wings by constructing a template from the plans, building a brass rod frame and then skinning it with plasticard. Built up the plasticard in layers and then skimmed with P38 bodyfiller and putty.

Rudder made from pieces of plasticard glued to thickness then sanded/filed to shape.

Photo shows one wing in primer to check for flaws and start of frame for tail being built.

I purchased a Squadron vacform canopy for a Italeri Junkers 188 which I'll being using the front part (after modification) and then I'll smash mould the rear section from clear plastic. Interior and engines to sort, I've just bought some square section brass rod to allow me to attach the engines.

If anyone has any advice or ideas then let me know as all help gratefully received.

Cheers, Pete
Chris

Re: Pete's 1/72 Junkers 388 project...

Post by Chris »

Its a great start, but I would have picked up a 188 just for the parts!
pete1979
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by pete1979 »

I've got the Matchbox Ju188 but I didn't want to use an otherwise complete kit to donate parts. If nothing else it'll be an experiment into the unknown to see what I can achieve through scratchbuilding. Will post more pictures tomorrow.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Great stuff! Keep posting, as I think lots of people will be interested in your scratchbuilding techniques.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Aviation Modelling”