Academy 1/72 Spad XIII FINISHED

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Academy 1/72 Spad XIII

Post by Nax »

I think the hair looks about the right scale?
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

As do I, thanks to the dark colour.

Regards,
Bruce
Nax

Post by Nax »

How do you hold the plane while your trying to do the rigging?
Steve/Nax
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

In one hand.

Don't forget, I anchor the thread first and then...well, there's a video somewhere ;-)
Nax

Post by Nax »

Well it's finally done/almost, I cannot for the life of me get those fuselage struts back into place since they fell out when I started rigging, they will not line up, so they're off ATM.
I don't think I should start another bi-plane for a while, I thought I was ready to start a rigging job :evil: it's very character building :roll: I'll build a few more mono's for a while.

Completely OOB except it has had the spare decals from my Tamiya Mustang draped around the cowling and drowned in Mr Mark Softner and decals from three different kits for the crosses and that's it

Thanks for looking. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

A real shame you lost the fuselage struts. Other than that, it looks cracking. Well done on the rigging!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
MerlinJones

Re: Academy 1/72 Spad XIII FINISHED

Post by MerlinJones »

Very nicely done, Steve.
Come on...you must have some spare plastic rod or strip, to make a few little struts?
Get 'em made, lay your bird upside down and lay your cabanes accordingly. (Ignore them holes, if it helps).

I think you also need to find some EZ Line, or equivalent. So, so much easier than hair. That said, great rigging job.

Regards,
Bruce
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

It looks pretty nice Steve, but you definitely chose a difficult kit to rig with its double-bay struts. Nice job on the checkered cowling lip. Can I suggest a nice Eduard Nieuport as your next rigging project? Great detail, and comparatively straightforward rigging.
Nax

Post by Nax »

Thanks very much Ian, Thanks Bruce and I will give the struts a go after a short spell, it annoys me that they are not on it. Mike, thanks for your comments and tip on the Nieuport, I bought the Academy for two reasons, #1 it was cheaper than a Happy meal at $3.99 (at that price, expendable) and #2 it has about fifty less strings than the RE.8 sitting in the stash (I break into a sweat thinking about that one) ;-)
Steve/Nax

Return to “Aviation Modelling”