Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F.2A (F for Funkadelic)

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F.2A (F for Funkadelic)

Post by VickersVandal »

This is the kit I started on as part of the flying boat group build and very depressingly and frustratingly didn't manage to complete in time. First part of build here: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=5347;

The paint scheme on this is pretty demanding! But we'll worth it. You won't see anything this trippy outside of a Parliament gig. You dig.

The kit has some pitfalls, mainly in part fitment. Not major, but in the case of the engines with the fine detail and number of parts it can be quite frustrating. Not something you can dry fit either.

Currently the tripped-out paintwork is completed and engines mounted. The kit relies on a butt join at the centre section for both sets of wings and I just can't see that giving anywhere near enough rigidity so I've drilled and inserted brass rod for each.

Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
VickersVandal

Re: Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F.2A (F for Funkadelic)

Post by VickersVandal »

And here we have a perfect example why I didn't manage to get finished within the deadline......

I decided to rig this section before attaching the rest of the wings. One hour later, after mucking half of it up and having to redrill and rethread, it's done. One side, that is :roll:
Ah we'll, it's been a couple of years since I last rigged a biplane. Have to expect a few hiccups.

After this I think I might have to build something that doesn't need a single wire on it.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Ah, but looking very good .... it will be worth it!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
vacant

Post by vacant »

My experience of building the Felixstowe is that it's an incredibly difficult build, but goodness, is it worth it! The engines are complex pieces to put together, but they do look great. The butt joints on the wings are indeed risky, but I did not have problems once everything was in place. The struts seem to hold it together. Rigging it is best done with a tame spider. You have chosen a very difficult scheme to do freehand. I opted for a version with red and white stripes and although I could use masking tape, that was hard enough - all the angles go wrong where the upper part of the fuselage meets the lower part. So, the best of luck with the rest of the build.
stevehed
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by stevehed »

Good work so far. The reinforcing rod in the wing joints would be a definite for me too. I use this method on Pegasus kits, never mind a big brute such as the Felixstowe.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Thanks for the encouragement. I got the other engine pod rigged much more quickly. Now I am prevaricating over putting the wings on. I was considering doing the top first and resting the model upside down on it, attaching the struts, then adding the lower wings. Is this a flawed plan doomed to utter failure?.....

The top centre section went on with far less screaming and mayhem than I was expecting, so I'm somewhat encouraged by that and wondering whether the rest of the wings will come together similarly easily. I think if I did it again though I'd do it quite differently. Good practice for the pair of Roden Gotha GVs in the stash.

vacant

Post by vacant »

I had no problems in mating the top wings to the bottom wings, though I don't remember which way round I did it. What I do remember is that I needed to open up the locating holes for the struts, just a bit, but I shoudl have done that before attaching the lower wings to the fuselage. The problem with doing it afterwards is that it is too easy to snap off the butt joint - but you have used strengthening rods, so you should not have that problem.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I've already opened up all the holes with a drill so no probs there. So you recommend just joining the wings to the c-sections then adding the struts after? That sounds like it could be less prone to disaster. As you say, the rods should keep them firmly bonded.

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Well done on the tricky artwork. But look what has just come into stock at Hannants :-D

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIMS7204
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Good spot Julian, I've added one to my wishlist for now.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Yeah, MerlinJones flagged those a few weeks ago. Will make the build a whole lot easier for anyone else keen on this scheme. I enjoyed the challenge of masking though.

broadside
Active Participant

Post by broadside »

Some excellent modelling going on with this one. Lovely job on the scheme!
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Thanks broadside.

Wings on, with the aid of a jig:

I made it so that the wing supports can be slid in and out as I plan to install the struts in this jig.
The wing width and separation distance both correspond exactly to lego dimensions, almost as if it was planned that way......

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Thank goodness for Lego!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Flute »

>Well done on the tricky artwork. But look what has just come into stock at Hannants :-D

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIMS7204;

<

That may be a restock - there were several sets available a few years ago for the psychodelic schemes. I could be wrong though, and the previous efforts may have been by FCM, and almost certainly hard to find now anyway.

Lovely job so far. Be careful though - a friend of mine in Brisbane got as far as adding the top wing and rigging the thing and dropped it. Several times. It was for a customer, so he persevered, but I do believe there were tears involved.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”