Airfix 1/72 Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/72 Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer

Post by Zee28 »

Hi all,

Well, the Girlfriend bought me this for Christmas, so I thought I ought to build it.
Initially I wanted to do the version depicted in the box art, but then I realised that without quality pre-shading, weathering, oil stains and the like, which I am not capable of, it would probably end up looking like a big pink toy jet rather than looking real, so, after a glance at the painting guide I choose the South African version, it was colourful, different and interesting, so decision made.

The cockpit interior went together quickly….

Despite it’s age (around 1960 for the majority of the tooling I believe) there are some nice touches to this kit. The seats are particularly well done with a good shape and seatbelts moulded in for those good modellers that want to pick them out. Consequently I simply shot everything with Matt Black and readied it for pilot figures (lazy, see). At the same time I sprayed the intakes with the Airfix recommended shade of light grey and painted the intake fans also as per their colour call-outs. The new decal sheet provided lovely instrument and side panel decals for both pilot positions, very nice! So these went in too.

Major assembly went quickly and OK. Needed a bit of filler here and there but essentially it looked OK, so I ran with it. Worst area for filling was around the tail/air brake area. I now wish I posed it open, which would have meant less filler and more visual interest for the finished model. Oh well……

Whilst that all dried I decided to frame the canopy and paint the pilot figures. I followed Airfix’s moulded-in guides for the canopy framing, which, to be honest, were probably a bit on the thick side. But looking at the positives, the canopy was nicely moulded, very thin and incredibly clear, which was nice!

The pilots and canopy were added and then masked off, then I sprayed the nose area in the Radome Tan colour.

Then I sprayed the tail/air brake area black and masked off both the nose and tail ready for major painting.

I shot the underside with PRU Blue as specified in the Airfix painting guide, I’ll mask off and do the undercarriage bays later and do them in the light grey (Hu 64).

Then an extensive masking session ensued ready for upper colours (yawn……I don’t like masking).

After shooting it all with the dark grey I then masked up for the black nose area.

After removing all the masking tape there was that lovely ‘Ta-dah’ moment, not looking too shabby at the moment……

Then I sprayed the undercarriage bays, I added all the little bits and bobs, and masked and brushed painted all the little bits; aerial thingies, undercarriage, silver leading edge bits, lights and stuff. Then I Kleared it all, added the delicious (and extensive!) new Airfix decal sheet, then shot the whole thing with a Satin Coat. Decals were accurate, opaque and behaved wonderfully, the new Airfix decals are the business!
The only disappointment with the decals is that Airfix thoughtfully included the stripe that divides that Radome nose with the rest off the fuselage. Unfortunately the decal was in exactly the same colour as the nose so would have been invisible, but a quick image search on the web showed it to be darker, so I masked it off and brushed on Dark Earth to make the ring.

Basically, I am please with the finished result, it looks OK-ish

Zee28
flakmonkey

Re: Airfix Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer

Post by flakmonkey »

Looks nice in RSAAF colours, you've made a nice job of that. It's almost made me want to build one just like it, but I still remember my battle with the Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer and have developed an aversion to them. Until Trumpeter make one albeit, no doubt, one with the a backwards tail or something…
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Cheers Flaker! Appreciate the comment. An old kit (but a new re-release with updated decals and painting guide) and I must admit I rushed through it a bit, didn't take my time at all! General opinion is that the Matchbox kit is better, but I've never done one so can't comment. The 1/48th is sadly not my scale, so can't really comment on that either. The 1/72 Airfix shows it's age in lots of places, as expected, but it isn't terrible assuming one has no aversion to filling and sanding! Getting the intakes to look half decent requires effort due to the horizontal split, and mine are far from good.

Thanks for the encouragement matey!

Zee28
vacant

Post by vacant »

Looks great.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice looking Buccaneer in an attractive scheme. Did you hand paint the canopy framing or mask it?

Nigel
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice, Zee.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

That looks lovely.

Just finished reading a book on the Bucc - they were a bit of a handful to fly (especially the S1).

The Airfix kit of the S2 I recall as being "relatively" modern i.e. from around 1980 or so. They had produced a much older kit which was really of the NA39 (not even an S1). I have both kits in my stash and there is little or no commonality between them.
Tony O
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Tony O »

Nothing OK-ish about that, its a little beauty, you`ve done a great job on this old kit, your paintwork is top notch and I love the SAAF scheme,
All the best
Tony
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Brilliant finish, very well built.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think you made the right call on the chosen colour scheme. Though the gulf war aircraft carried great nose markings the rest of the aircraft is frankly a bit dull. A lovely build.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This is coming along nicely.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it’s especially heart-warming when it’s the first I’ve ever posted on any forum, ever!

Hi ClashCityRocker (love your forum name by the way, I was at Clash gigs in London ‘back in the day’, although the Stray Cats were more my thing, but hey, they were all mates! Yeah, showing my age or what?), to answer your question I did the canopy in my usual lazy manner, masked the cream coloured bits, brush painted them, let that dry, then masked again and brush painted the grey bits. Looking back now I should have been more careful, the cream coloured parts are too wide really, it should just be a delicate thin line against the grey, but it’s done now, so hey-ho….

Eric, I didn’t know it was complete now tool in the ‘80s, I thought at least some of the parts may have dated back to the 1960 NA39. That explains the nice seats and crystal clear canopy moulding. It does actually go together OK with a bit of clamping and generous gluing. I’d like to see how it compares to the Matchbox Buck, anyone done one?

James, thanks for the comments re-colour scheme, yeah, the colourfulness of the SAAF makes it stand out and is a bit different. I’d like to do the pink one someday, but after looking at the one at Hendon I realised that weathering and dirtying would be key to success (something I’m rubbish at). That thing is filthy! And littered with oil stains and the like. Do it well and it’ll look the business, but, as I said,earlier, if I did it then it would just end up looking like a ‘big pink plane’. Plus Airfix instructions would have you cut the wingtips off and replace them with other parts supplied. I didn’t really have the confidence to hack away at the wings.

Thanks again for all the positive comments folks, it’s really encouraging for what is effectively just a simple OOB build over a few evenings, with no extra detail, weathering or other skills on display. In comparison with your standards it’s pretty simplistic.

I feel welcomed now, and I’m glad I joined (after 4 years of lurking!)

Zee28
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Punks not dead, on this forum anyway! Stiff little Fingers and Peter and the Test Tube Babies, were my cup of tea - well pint of lager actually! Nice Bucc, one of the only ones I´ve seen made up with positive commentary so well done!
running at the edge of their world
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The Airfix NA39 was so unlike a real Buccaneer in so many areas that it was virtually impossible to convert into any mark of the genuine Bucc. I bought it with the intention of building it as an S1 until I realised how difficult it would be.
So, the NA39 got parked in the pile around 1982 and has remained there ever since.

More recently, I picked up a resin conversion set for an S1 which should work with the Airfix S2. I have two Airfix S2s set aside now, one to be built as an S2 and the other is earmarked for the S1 conversion. I also have a Matchbox Bucc.

The Matchbox kit was released in the mid 1970s and is simpler overall than the later Airfix one. It does give you the bulged bomb bay but little in the way of cockpit details. The air intakes on the Matchbox kit are supposed to be more accurate than those on the Airfix kit as well.

FROG also did a nice enough Buccaneer which, like the Matchbox kit, was fairly simple but looked accurate enough.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Since comparing seems to be the order of the day, perhaps this photo will help.
I won't say which is which, but the lineup consists of three Airfix, one Matchbox and one FROG.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”