Zero,Zero.

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Zero,Zero.

Post by Dazzled »

I'm sure I've posted something about these two builds before but can't seem to find anything on the forum :???: so here, to avoid any confusion is the background story.

The kits are 1/48th Zeros. One is a Fujumi A6M2 intended to be painted up as an aircraft from the Zuikaku at the time of the Pearl Harbour attack, using the excellent decals provided in the kit. The other is a Hasegawa kit of a Nakajima manufactured A6M2-N Rufe floatplane fighter of the 802nd Flying Group.

I started both kits in 2011, just before I joined this esteemed forum. My logic in building both kits together was that they were the same colour and so would require less individual painting sessions. Everything was going well, I completed the interiors and engines, got everything together, sorted out the joins, particularly the enormous gap front and rear of the wing on the Hasegawa kit and masked up for paint.

Then things went horribly wrong :shock:

Due to a dodgy batch of paint and some problems with my appalling old Badger air compressor (now binned) there was a big problem with the finish. Basically the paint all went powdery and dropped off in patches. I tried to rectify things a couple of times but, in the end, lost heart and put the models in my loft room (read toy room ;-) ) out of sight and out of mind. A couple of months ago I got them back down and started working on the paint. I rubbed back all the offending paint over a period of a few days. Then they were sidelined again while I've been busy with other things. Today, however, while I had the airbrush out to paint the Swordfish I thought "Why not?" and applied a nice coat of fresh Tamiya IJN Grey to the pair of them followed shortly after by a coat of Klear ready for decals. I'm feeling a lot better about these now. This is how they look at the moment.

I do have quite a few pictures of the entire build and I'd be happy to put them on the forum if anybody's interested.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Zero,Zero.

Post by AndrewR »

They look pretty good now! :)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I'm glad you brought these back from beyond. They're both looking nice. I wonder if it is my screen or did you mix some green into your paint?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Saved by zero.
Honcho of ASMMF
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Softscience wrote:I'm glad you brought these back from beyond. They're both looking nice. I wonder if it is my screen or did you mix some green into your paint?
I think it may be your screen. They definitely look grey to me.

Grey with red spots in the case of the wheeled version :) .

COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Nax

Post by Nax »

Looking good, Dazzled I agree with Ralph, I would pick the paint as having a green hue about it too, just compare it to the grey sprue's in the background, if you ask me the colour of your Zero is perfect with that green hue. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've made a start on decalling the Rufe although I have found that Hasegawas decals, like Fujimis, don't like Microsol very much.

The tail bands are a bit wrinkled at the moment but I'm pretty confident that they'll smooth out as they dry. I have more decals to go on, including one that sits on top of the blue bands, so I decided to wait for the initial batch to dry out first.

I did a bit more to the Zeke too.

I forgot to mention that my original plan for a Shokaku (Not Zuikaku-doh) based aircraft went a bit awry. Well the white tail band did, disintegrating nicely upon application of Microsol. All was not lost however and the aircraft is now marked as an aircraft from the Akagi. Fujimi provide markings for 8 aircraft with this kit. Unfortunately not all of them are shown on the instruction sheet. Figure that one out.

Once the decals were on I gave the model a coat of matt varnish, took the masking off, opened up the u/c bays and fitted the engine cowling.

Everything was hunky dory. Then disaster struck.

While I was fitting the oil cooler duct it disintegrated :shock: .

It's broken badly in two places. As the picture shows, I glued it back together with Zap-a-Gap but it looks pretty rough. I foresee a bit of work with filler, glue and sanding sticks.

Pants!!! :evil:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Chris

Post by Chris »

I don't recall seeing a small piece break that way, it sure looks like a pain to fix.

Decaling looks very nice.
Honcho of ASMMF
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It did require a bit of fixing, plus a bit of Mr Surfacer to hide the joins, but I have fixed it and, despite my doubts about finding any time to do any modelling at all, I did find a couple of spells when I could spend a bit of time at the bench today. The result is that I finished my Mig-15 and, low and behold, the wheeled Zero is also done.

It didn't all come together plainly, however and there was a little struggle with u/c legs and wheels. I used the Hasegawa legs suitably adapted by attaching the Fujimi top mounts to them. With a little filing down they were encouraged to fit. Trouble was the wheels didn't want to fit into place. They were too big. Bearing in mind that these were also Hasegawa bits I was a bit surprised. I had to resort to cutting bits out of the legs with a motor tool.

Other than that little irritation it all went together very smoothly and I had one of those very rare days.....TWO FINISHES!! 8-)

Woo Hoo :-D
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

They'll be coming back off then-again.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And suitably re-jigged.

BTW, I forgot to mention the aerial wire. It's my first experiment with EZ line. It's brilliant stuff, the best I've ever used. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Aviation Modelling”