FROG 1/72 scale Ta-152.......

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Allan31
Active Participant

FROG 1/72 scale Ta-152.......

Post by Allan31 »

Using the old FROG kit I substituted the engine cowl, spinner, landing gear and cockpit from an Italeri 190D kit from the stash.

Willi Reschke was born February 1922. He joined the Luftwaffe in 1941 and commenced pilot training in 1942. In June 1943 Reschke served with Jagdgruppe 102, in Zerbst to undergo operational training. On completion of training, Unteroffizier Reschke was posted to 1 staffel, Jagdgeschwader 302, based near Vienna in June 1944. By wars end he was credited with 28 aerial victories in 70 missions.

In 1999, Reschke recounted his wartime experiences in print, published in English in 2005 as "Jagdgeschwader 301/302 'Wilde Sau': In Defense Of The Reich with the Bf 109, Fw 190 and Ta 152;" including writing about the late-war period he spent flying the exotic Focke-Wulf Ta 152 high-altitude fighter-interceptor designed by Kurt Tank.

On 14 April he flew the new Focke-Wulf Ta 152, "white 1" for the first time and claimed a Hawker Tempest of No. 486(NZ) Squadron. In this engagement he shot down pilot W/O Owen J.Mitchell who was killed. I also plan on building Mitchell's Tempest from the FROG kit.

All surface detail was sanded off and panel lines drawn on in ink using the thinnest of these.

In addition to the Italeri parts mentioned above, I added my own vac canopy and aftermarket decals.

A terrific little kit and with the addition of the other parts builds up quite well.

Wing guns are steel surgical tubing from the dentist.

I really enjoyed this build and was surprised how well the simple changes improved the old kit.

Who has more fun than we do?...................NOBODY !!!
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: FROG 1/72 scale Ta-152.......

Post by DavidWomby »

Fantastic job on an old classic kit. I love the weathering but especially the panel lines. How do you do that without making wobbles and blotches?????

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

1/72, you say? Frog kit, you say?

WOW!, I say....!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Chris

Post by Chris »

That is brilliant.
Honcho of ASMMF
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Wow!....that is a truly beautiful job. Your panel lines look amazing and really make the model, imo.
uavdb (Dave)
vacant

Post by vacant »

That is just quite exceptional.
Nax

Post by Nax »

Absolutely terrific build Allan and the history info adds that extra bit "Wow" factor, thanks for sharing. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Stunning build, i'm looking forward to seeing the Tempest!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Sorry, i've just re-read your post - you DREW the panel lines on with ink? Wow, i've never seen that before - what a brilliant idea! It looks really effective, what's your method? (if you don't mind me asking)
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I love seeing ancient kits turned into masterpieces.

As has been asked already - how did you manage to draw on the panel lines so straight? Did you use a rule/straight edge of some sort?
Lyell72planes
Likes Paint and Markings!

Post by Lyell72planes »

Great looking Classic model. I like the paint and detailing with a little
history added in. :grin: Lyell
Classic British Kit Collector
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

That looks really nice. I like the drawn on panel lines. I must try that some time.
Amazing that such an old kit can look so good.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Allan31
Active Participant

Re: Panel line tutorial......

Post by Allan31 »

This is a tutorial I had done a couple of years ago posted on Hyperscale. The pencil works for 80-90% of what you need except on the darkest colors. I discovered the ink pens when I did my Airfix Doolittle Raider and like them better. I "erase" my ink mistakes with a small brush dampened with window cleaner.

I like the pencil because it is very controllable and the results can be very, very subtle. Many panel lines just are not visible on real aircraft.

I get as much painting and weathering done ahead of time as the paint can cover up the lines. A dead flat coat is best to draw on.

Simple tools as shown, I use HB lead but will experiment with water base felt tip pens on darker colors. The "Dymo" tape does NOT have the adhesive exposed, any thin, flexible plastic strip will do as a straight edge. Find a good technical drawing, look around, some are drawn better than others.

Good photos. Some panel lines on the drawing do not show up in life.

It's easiest to have the drawing same size as the model, then just transfer the dimensions.

Start easy and simple, here the wingtip is drawn and a line near the wheel well.

Refer to the drawing and fill in the gaps. It need not be perfect, close enough is good enough, remember to keep it fun.

If your happy with what you have, do the same on the other wing. If not, erase and redraw. Seal with Dull-coat to prevent smearing.

Work down fuselage then up onto top of wing. Mark on leading edge panel lines that continue on top and go. Seal with Dullcoat as you work along. The Dull-coat turns the silver pencil dark grey.

For compound curves I like this stuff. Stretches but is thick enough to run pencil along.

Someone on Hyperscale posted this. It's sold at beauty supply places. 1/32" and 1/64", Su picked it up for me.

Rather than decals I used it to make the shell ejector ports. Again sealed with Dull-coat.

A little silver pencil for paint chipping and it's done. It looks better than it photographs, again it's very subtle.

Airfix Orion is pencil.

Airfix Zero is pencil.

Airfix B-25 is ink.

Hope this helps, enjoy,
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Excellent work, and thank you very much for the tutorial !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Wonderful work. Thanks for taking the time to share. I shall try this technique very soon.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....

Return to “Aviation Modelling”