Airfix Spitfire Mk VB

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Motley
Active Participant

Airfix Spitfire Mk VB

Post by Motley »

Recently whil looking at my model collection i noticed that i infact didnt have a RAF Spitfire in it, so i decided to treat myself to a new kit to solve this problem. I ended up with Mk Vb, the reason is out of the kits i saw in the shop it had the best book art out of the Spitifre :ha: , so anyways got down to building it a few days later and i kind of ended up building it, painting and decaling it all in under 3 hours :shock: , seeing how little time i spent on it, im actually really pleased with the out come and im proud of the finished plane. The kit itself if really nice but the wing roots do have big gaps which doesnt bother me but most would want to fill these in, anyways on to the pictures,

Finished in marking of Pilot Officer Leo Nomis, No.71 Eagle Squadron, based at RAF Martlesham Heath in April 1942,

And finally my little collection of Spitfires :)

Enjoy :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix Spitfire Mk VB

Post by flakmonkey »

Nice BT-K. There's something about a cleanly built and unpainted model that just does it for me. Most of the original (as in coloured plastic) Matchbox kits look good built that way.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Looks nice - if you filled those gaps and did the canopy that would be a sweet model - do another one!
running at the edge of their world
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Stamford wrote:Looks nice - if you filled those gaps and did the canopy that would be a sweet model - do another one!
I am very tempted to get another one to do in the other scheme of a US Spit, and if i was going to fill in the gaps id have to buy some filler and learn how to do it but if i can get some money its just what ill do :)
flakmonkey wrote:Nice BT-K. There's something about a cleanly built and unpainted model that just does it for me. Most of the original (as in coloured plastic) Matchbox kits look good built that way.
Up close it isnt actually that cleanly built :roll: it was the first plane i built before i had paints hence why its un painted but i do like it how it is, esecpially in the blue :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Get some tamiya filler - costs a couple of quid - you can clean it up with acetone (nail polish remover) and fine grade sandpaper.
running at the edge of their world
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You have done a good job on the paint and decals. I use tippex on the smaller joins, it dries quick and is easy to sand down.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Motly as you are in Kent.

Did you know the new Airfix 1/72 Hurricane is modeled on the actual a/c that's on display at the Spitfire Hurricane Memorial Museum at Manston in Kent and has the markings for it.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

splash wrote:Motly as you are in Kent.

Did you know the new Airfix 1/72 Hurricane is modeled on the actual a/c that's on display at the Spitfire Hurricane Memorial Museum at Manston in Kent and has the markings for it.

Regards
Splash
I didnt actually know that, but ive been bugging my parents to take me up there for awhile now cause would like to go back to the museum, just seems like another reason to go :)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice collection of Spitfires. Do you have any closeups of the USA Spitfire?
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

You need to bite the bullet and have a go at canopy framing. There are a number of different techniques to do this, from simple use of a brush and a steady hand, to using painted tape or masking and painting. Try some of these techniques out on some cheap kits - like the Airfix Spitfire Vb
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:Nice collection of Spitfires. Do you have any closeups of the USA Spitfire?
I have on the oldsite here, http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=14962;, not the best shots i know

And if i can be asked ill put up some pictures of it with the canopy done now :)

Return to “Aviation Modelling”