New Spitfire IIa from Airfix

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Chuck E
Established 1949

New Spitfire IIa from Airfix

Post by Chuck E »

I've just picked a couple of these up. I'll start the build here and keep you up to date.

First impressions are very good. What you get is . . . .

The same nice new Spitfire 1a kit complete.
A complete new sprue containing 2 new props and spinners ( Making 3 in the kit )
New oil cooler.
New Exhaust stubs.
Pole Aerial
New Canopy ( 2 included )
Two new decal choices .... WZ-T and NK-K.
Tray style box and colour 4 view painting instructions.
An RRP of £6.99 ( I can get them for £5.99 ) This is very good value in my opinnion.

I'll post pictures later. Off to the other model club now and a pint of the black stuff.
So many models, so little time.
IrishAir
Active Participant

Re: New Spitfire IIa from Airfix

Post by IrishAir »

You can see an inbox review on it over on the ATF.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... 26415.html;

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

What is it with those awful panel lines?!?
If this is aimed at the spontaneous buyer/Aunty Flo and LJ market, then they would've been quite happy enough with the older kits and been generally disinterested in the differences between Mk.I and Mk.II.

Bizarre. :roll:

Regards,
Bruce
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Do you have one in front of you, Bruce? If not, I'd wait on "those awful panel lines" until you know what it looks like in real life, with a coat of paint, from a couple of feet away from a 1/72nd model. Angled light, cameras that try to provide the full range of dark --> light automatically, beefing up the contrast in Photoshop.... it all makes a difference. It's true, I wouldn't put a dark wash into the lines to give additional contrast, but if I look at Kate's Mk.1, which is presumably largely the same plastic, it looks perfectly OK in primer...

bestest,
M.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

No, but I saw one today in the LMS, in actual real life and a new kit shouldn't require you to buy extra tins of paint, to use as filler.
Of course, Airfix will be getting what they can out of the new Mk.I kit, as they have with the new Sabre kit and that's to be applauded.

Regards,
Bruce
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

Airfix Mk I kit, 3D Kits conversion set, build by Drewe Manton:

I don't believe Drewe used anything to tone down the panel lines, but I do know he used an oil wash. The lines aft of the cockpit look a little excessive to me, but I can't get exercised over them myself. I discussed this issue with Trevor Snowden last year before he retired, he said they were looking for a compromise that would suit bristle brushers sloshing on lots of paint and the 'enthusiast' end of the market. I've got one of my own under construction and used a liberal pin wash of Mr Surfacer in the panel lines. The kits themselves are a joy to put together. I used the Mr Surfacer trick with this Mk IX, it doesn't take very long to do:

You could argue that you shouldn't have to fill in the panel lines. Airfix could argue that they make loads of money on their products and don't see any need to modify their philosophy. If you can't be arsed to fix the panel lines then I would recommend you buy the AZ kits. They are just as accurate, come with very fine panel lines and cost about three times that of the Airfix.

peebeep
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Stamford »

That looks excellent value - the decals looks very good and the shape looks very nice.
running at the edge of their world
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Looks good with your treatment, Paul.
I'll be trying liquid paper on my Hurri.

Regards,
Bruce
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bassman »

That's a nice pair of Spits. I like them. Last week I started the Spitfire Mk1A and until now I think it is a fine kit. The Mk2 will follow soon.
Henk
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thats good news, I want to do a spitfire prototype so the two bladed prop and flat canopy will be a good starting point.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Some photos I've just taken before setting to work with a craft knife.
Actually, I don't think that the panel lines are too bad. They certainly fade with a coat or two of paint. I always hand brush mine anyway, so less line shows. I bought two and will buy a lot more. Very happy with it so far. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I always remove the raised seams on the fuselage sides where the instrument panel goes. The halves go together better this way. I also remove the location pin on the rear fuselage. The whole kit is very similar to the Tamiya kit, but for half the price.

Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Keep the updates coming Chuck. I have just picked one up myself and hope to get cracking on it soon.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bassman »

Now I see the parts I like it even more. The additional sprue is very welcome to make an early Mk1. Thanks for sharing the picture Chuck.
Henk
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

If you look on the new sprue, you will see the late type Oil Cooler housing. This was seen mostly on the MkVb, though I have a couple of photos showing a similar one on a later Mk II. I expect a new Mk Va to be putting in an appearance soon. Series 2 with two or three decal choices. Douglas Bader's DB will be one I reckon, another RAF Va, then some other more exotic scheme.

Two hours got me here. I pulled the bands out to give a little more dihedral. It looks Ok now it has set. The easy way to get the required angle is to pare away the fuselage wing root carefully, cement and put on an elastic band. No filler. I added a little superglue to the seam in front of the cockpit. This has now been sanded flush. This is a very easy build.

After setting and a bit of sanding. Literally a couple of minutes. No filler at all. Spend time getting the dry fit of the wing to fuselage right and it's simple.
None here either ! I'll add a little just next to the rear fuselage where the wing joins. It will make it tidier.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Chuck E wrote:This is a very easy build.
Chuck E wrote:I pulled the bands out to give a little more dihedral. It looks Ok now it has set. The easy way to get the required angle is to pare away the fuselage wing root carefully, cement and put on an elastic band.

It might be an easy build for someone of your modelling talent, but how would it look without carefully paring away the wing root, etc.? Is the kit dihedral really insufficient?

Have you cut out the openings under the wing, or is that paint?

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Aviation Modelling”