Grumman Goose 1/72 Rareplanes *FINISHED*

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Barry
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Grumman Goose 1/72 Rareplanes *FINISHED*

Post by Barry »

One of Gordon's gems circa 1989

l/g, wheels, engines and props are supplied in white metal. Somehow they missed the photo shoot. (As did the vac clear parts.)

The instruction sheet. There are four other sheets detailing the various color schemes.

Nice decal sheet

Will insert one long strip of clear for the side windows

Rudimentary innards....could have picked lighter colors, but it really doesn't matter. Line of sight into the cabin is blocked by the wings.

The cockpit will be visible through the windshield only. Side windows are blocked by the engine nacelles.

Fuselage joined and seams sealed with super glue. Painting them before rubbing down helps me see when when I should stop sanding.

This is the underside of the wings. So often, they want to bow down at the tips...the popsicle stick is superglued in place discourage that.

Will fit the windshield next, then attach the wings.

2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Grumman Goose 1/72 Rareplanes

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice start, Barry.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

You're making it look oh-so-easy Barry! :)

Mind, having struggled with the Airfix Gosling, the vac form option might have been easier!

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Barry

Post by Barry »

So far, so good. Fitting the windshield might be tricky, and I'm going to have to tweak the l/g parts a little. Wait'll you see the gaps between the lower wing panel and the fuselage though. It's gonna take more than Green Stuff to make that bridge.
vacant

Post by vacant »

I built two if these last year - the only problem I remember was with the metal u/c legs that were very soft and likely to break. There should not be a problem with gaps, at least, no more than any other vacform. And yes, fitting the windscreen will be tricky, especially that curve at the bottom. It will look great when finished.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Yes, they are so soft that I wonder if they can support the model. Might have to break out the brass tubing.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Great work so far Barry, I love the interior (although I do think you are spending far too much time with Vacant.... You two making these Vac kits looks so easy. They're not! I tried!)

Out of interest, what's the difference between the Goose and the Gosling? Is it just the radial engines (as that's all I can tell from here), or is there more to it?

If so, a conversion of the Airfix Gosling into a Goose using the spares box could be fun.

(Not that an Airfix Gosling is ever fun.....)

Oh no, hang on, there's more to it, the wingtips are round on the Goose, the Gosling's are straight.

Zee
vacant

Post by vacant »

Don't even think about converting a Gosling to a Goose. Although they are from the same general stable, they are quite different in size, the Goose being quite a bit bigger as well as the engine difference).

Goose
Length: 38 ft 6 in (11.74 m)
Wingspan: 49 ft 0 in (14.94 m)
Height: 16 ft 2 in (4.93 m)
Wing area: 375 ft² (34.9 m²)

Gosling
Length: 31 ft 1 in (9.47 m)
Wingspan: 40 ft 0 in (12.19 m)
Height: 11 ft 5 in (3.48 m)
Wing area: 245 ft² (22.8 m²)
vacant

Post by vacant »

The brass tubing would be a sensible precaution. I went with the soft metal and have had problems with it ever since.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

vacant wrote:Don't even think about converting a Gosling to a Goose. Although they are from the same general stable, they are quite different in size, the Goose being quite a bit bigger as well as the engine difference).

Goose
Length: 38 ft 6 in (11.74 m)
Wingspan: 49 ft 0 in (14.94 m)
Height: 16 ft 2 in (4.93 m)
Wing area: 375 ft² (34.9 m²)

Gosling
Length: 31 ft 1 in (9.47 m)
Wingspan: 40 ft 0 in (12.19 m)
Height: 11 ft 5 in (3.48 m)
Wing area: 245 ft² (22.8 m²)
That's the end of that idea then! Show's how much I know.........

Can't say I'm too sorry, I'm not sure I wanted to tackle another Airfix Gosling to be honest!

Zee
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

One in the stash so looking forward to the finished result,keep up the good work.Oh by the way,was it just superglue for the seams or was it more traditional method like making small tabs and then joining with liquid poly?
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

fearless frankie wrote:One in the stash so looking forward to the finished result,keep up the good work.Oh by the way,was it just superglue for the seams or was it more traditional method like making small tabs and then joining with liquid poly?
I've only tried (and failed!) one vacform kit so far, but I found my usual poly cement wouldn't touch it at all, it didn't want to play ball, I had to use superglue throughout. Is this usual or is it my glue?

Zee
Barry

Post by Barry »

small tabs and poly as usual Frankie, the cryo was just the filler. I thought I had taken a shot of that stage, but didn't. The small tabs are essential to support the seams on the fuselage Zee, otherwise they will fail under the pressure of sanding.
smilzo_mm
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by smilzo_mm »

Great job. I've always been afraid to face a vacuform kit!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

smilzo_mm wrote:Great job. I've always been afraid to face a vacuform kit!
You just have to look them in the eye, never show fear and be decisive...much like raising children..!
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Aviation Modelling”