Airfix Spitfire Mk1a (Kit No. A55100) 1:72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Spitfire Mk1a (Kit No. A55100) 1:72

Post by Jaime »

So, with my 727 out of the way, I was freed up to work on this little thing, which is one of the Airfix small starter sets. I have to say that I really enjoyed building this as the fit of the kit is so much better than those of years gone by. Having said that, I'm learning that painting parts before assembly is a bit different using my new medium of acrylic as it goes on that bit thicker, sometimes affecting the fit of things like 'wheels up' landing gear.

This will be the first of what I hope will be many kits that illustrate my love of 'wheels up' builds, which I think convey the true spirit of the aircraft - and, of course, allow their use by munchkins as toys. That is, indeed, the fate of this model and I hope it will engender the same love of modelling in my youngest as playing with my uncles kits did for me back in the 70's.... although the day I vroomed the newly built Gloster Gladiator into my nan's belly, with catastrophic results, has gone down in infamy!

You'll see from the photos below and from future posts that I'm pretty much a build-out-of-the-box kind of modeller with no desire (or time) for customisation, except perhaps a little bit on pilot uniforms. I like the pristine look, which means that apart from a bit of dry brushing on things like exhausts and landing gear, there's no hint of weathering effects. Maybe I'll try colour washing for panel detailing in the future but want to get my basic skills back up to scratch first.

Anyway, the finished model (no 'in progress' shots I'm afraid):

*Edit: image link corrected above.
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Airfix Spitfire Mk1a (Kit No. A55100) 1:72

Post by PaulBradley »

Very smart, Jaime.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

nice!
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Good looking model!
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Built as Airfix intended. Very nice.
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Very nice job.

rich.
Rich.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Jaime wrote: I'm pretty much a build-out-of-the-box kind of modeller with no desire (or time) for customisation, except perhaps a little bit on pilot uniforms. I like the pristine look, which means that apart from a bit of dry brushing on things like exhausts and landing gear, there's no hint of weathering effects. Maybe I'll try colour washing for panel detailing in the future but want to get my basic skills back up to scratch first.
Looking at the finish on this build I would say your skills are defiantly back up to scratch.

Well done, I look forward to seeing more of your builds.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Thank you all for your kind comments - I'll try and live up to them in the coming months!
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Spitfire, wheels up, pilot in cockpit, on a stand. Perfect! :grin:
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Aviation Modelling”