Another Airfix Spitfire Mk I in 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
peebeep

Re: Another Airfix Spitfire Mk I in 1/72

Post by peebeep »

Softscience wrote:I also noticed that the yellow on the roundels is too thick
They check out pretty good with what the book says they should be. A 7" wide ring was added to the original 35" diameter roundel, making it 49". I just measured the roundels on my sheet and they are about on the money. I think the angle of the photo is a little deceptive.

peebeep
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Looking at the two photos, the yellow ring looks different on both. On the shot of two aircraft, DW-O seems to have a wider yellow ring than DW-K. Very strange. There appear to be a lot of variation even within squadrons.

More variation here . . . . http://www.markstyling.com/spitfiresmkl_ll_9.htm;
So many models, so little time.
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

Chuck E wrote:Very strange. There appear to be a lot of variation even within squadrons.
Given the circumstances it's hard to imagine that the same bloke did the same job on every machine in a squadron. The yellow outer ring and 48" lettering is a good example. Neither fit properly onto a Spitfire (or Hurricane) fuselage. If more than one person is tasked with the job you're likely to get more than one solution. Codes, aircraft letters and roudels became much more predictable post 1940 when personnel were less pressurised and there was greater understanding that the official orders were actually quite flexible.

peebeep

Return to “Aviation Modelling”