Warbird Vacform Sopwith Snipe 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Warbird Vacform Sopwith Snipe 1/72

Post by AndrewR »

You might be thinking that with four limited run kits lurking on the bench, plus the spectre of the Javelin looming large, that I might not start another project.

But no, time to start my first vac form kit. Remember, I am barking... :grin:

I have decals for it on the Wings of Silver sheet, so it will be post Great War, and in a smart silver, grey and blue livery.

A very simple kit, which was why I chose it. The wings are one sided, so the fuselage is the only bit that needs a lot of fitting together. Plus most of the bits will come from the spares box. I'm using a Bentley engine and prop from the Roden Camel kit, the wheels from the Pegasus Albatros, bending some brass rod for the undercarriage assembly and making struts from plastic rod.

Good instructions. Very impressive. So far I've spent about 4 hours on the sanding and fitting, and I'm pretty much ready to start some assembly.

Here are the bits, except the horizontal stabilisers, which I forgot to pose in the picture. :roll:

The main structure is from the vacform kit, and the seat and instrument panel will be used too.
The engine will be a Bentley engine from the Roden Camel. Technically not the correct Bentley engine, but it does have the right number of cylinders.
The Roden kit will also provide the prop, while wheels will come from the Pegasus Albatros.

The Snipe is a very compact aircraft!
Up in the Great White North
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Warbird Vacform Sopwith Snipe 1/72

Post by VickersVandal »

Ambitious! Great project though. Should be great all built up.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Will be watching this with interest. I have a few in the stash but have never built one of these types with the one-sided wings and quite keen to see how this works...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

You are barking :ha:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
vacant

Post by vacant »

Nothing barking about building a vacform. The Warbirds Snipe, Thomas Morse and others in the series are great little kits that help fill gaps in collections.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Agreed...I built their Thomas Morse Scout and was really surprised at how nicely it went together. This should be fun for you Andrew.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I am sure I have one of these buried in the stash somewhere. This will be good to watch.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

SJPONeill wrote:Will be watching this with interest. I have a few in the stash but have never built one of these types with the one-sided wings and quite keen to see how this works...
I am basically going to ignore the undersides of the wings, on the grounds that for most viewing angles, you can't see them on biplanes :grin:

A cockpit floor added, doing double duty as a locating tab. Also a rear bulkhead. I'm debating whether to add side wall detail, as the cockpit is pretty narrow and very little will be visible.

cheers

Andrew
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

AndrewR wrote:
SJPONeill wrote:Will be watching this with interest. I have a few in the stash but have never built one of these types with the one-sided wings and quite keen to see how this works...
I am basically going to ignore the undersides of the wings, on the grounds that for most viewing angles, you can't see them on biplanes :grin:
I'm Agree!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Welcome to the Vac Form club :-D

Having only just joined the club myself, I'm starting to think Vac Forms are very underrated and that everyone should jump out of their comfort zone and try one.

Your Snipe looks like a nice little kit, I look forward to watching this build.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

splash wrote:Welcome to the Vac Form club :-D

Having only just joined the club myself, I'm starting to think Vac Forms are very underrated and that everyone should jump out of their comfort zone and try one.
Well, if that isn't an outright challenge... :-D
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

vacant wrote:Nothing barking about building a vacform. The Warbirds Snipe, Thomas Morse and others in the series are great little kits that help fill gaps in collections.
Tbh vacforms scare the living daylights out of me :shock:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

TobyC wrote:
vacant wrote:Nothing barking about building a vacform. The Warbirds Snipe, Thomas Morse and others in the series are great little kits that help fill gaps in collections.
Tbh vacforms scare the living daylights out of me :shock:
So far, it's been less work than the Pegasus short run Albatros!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The decal sheet is the Model Alliance sheet "Wings of Silver, Part 2". I got it discounted at Hannant's, and the offer is still on

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML72157;

The Hawker Fury decals were very nice to use, so I can recommend them. I just have to find a Gloster Gauntlet kit now!
vacant

Post by vacant »

It is certainly an option to ignore the underside of the wings because at this scale and because it is underneath, it really will not make much difference. I don't think I did anything on the two Warbirds Snipes I have built. A simple alternative is to skim the underneath with some 10 thou plastic card - easy to do, then just sand off the leading and trailing edges. I have done that with vacform Bristol Fighters and some others. As has been said, it is likely to be far less work than anything by Pegasus.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”