John's TB.1 * * * Finished * * *

Runs: November 19th to December 23rd
GB Leader: bluesteel
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

John's TB.1 * * * Finished * * *

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

OK, OK, I'll edit the topic once I decide on which aircraft I will do.

Like Paul & Julian (and I think Bruce/M-J), I had thought about doing a Coastal Command torpedo carrier, but that seems a bit crowded.

Options (all but one would be B.1) are:
-- L4032, the 1st production aircraft, which served it's time at AA&E.
-- P1272, which went to the Torpedo Development Unit -- I can do a TB.1 with yellow undersides.
-- L4085 or L4074; both with 44 Sqn (Rhodesia), one pre-war, one early. I need to check my stock of large white serials for underwing ... I like this scheme, if it isn't obvious from my prior build.
-- P4493 or P1335; both were VC aircraft.

Anyway, here's the obligatory shot of the sacrifices .... the Airfix kit, the Valom B1/TB1 set and the Airwaves P/E. I think I have Falcon vac-canopies somewhere ....

Decisions, decisions ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: John's ?

Post by PaulBradley »

I have some Modeldecal white serials somewhere - let me know if you are missing anything and I'll see what I have left.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Another day of research, and I've narrowed to:
-- B.1, L4074/KM-O of 44 Sqn (Rhodesia), early war (I have the white serials); Bomber Command.
-- B.1, AT225/E, from 1404 Met Flight, X-Dark Sea Gray over White; Coastal Command.
-- TB1, AT147/XA-X, to make a complete 489 Sqn flight with Paul & Julian; Coastal Command.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I do have the Falcon vac-canopies and I even found a stray pair of Engine & Things Peggies ....

Still haven't decided what yet ... Since I also have the Valom B.1 and the Valom TB.1, I ought to burn the torpedo from the conversion set in the Airfix kit, but ....
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Go one, John - you know you want to!

Then we can have a flight of Hampdens for Telford next year. ;-)
Paul

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PaulBradley wrote:Go one, John - you know you want to!

Then we can have a flight of Hampdens for Telford next year. ;-)

Yes, you are probably right, and I won't have to be shipping it at the last minute .... he says hopefully.

I'll take AT147 XA-X of 489 Sqn, in grey & sky ....

I have two Valom kits, the Frog kit, and the Contrail vac if I need to do some of my other choices ....

Today, I did little other than fondle the plastic. I did try to research the different shape of the gunner's station to see what I might have to do there.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: John's TB.1

Over the past two days, my Hampden has become flush-riveted. It has also had a few workshop dings (aka sink marks) filled and sanded. A few minoir sub-assemblies are started. The elevator fits too loosely in the tail assembly and I've added shims on each side to tighten it up.

Tomorrow, I'll wash the dust off and primer the parts to see how it looks and then get started on the interior. I also intend to sand down the gear doors to a respectable thinness. I also have to modify the ventral gunner station.

I'll start doing pix from now on ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Actually I hadn't noticed before, but yes it is .... Well to be technically correct, it doesn't say anywhere on the box or instructions, but since it is proportionately smaller, I assume so ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here we go ...

I started by fitting the Airwaves P/E to the interior. It doesn't fit. I had to cut away a square panel to match the upper deck glass. I had to cut away approx one stringer off the top to get it to mate to the fuselage edge. I took off a piece of cockpit up front. And lastly, mindful of bluesteel's interior wall vs wing tabs issue, I cut away enough to clear the wing tabs. Then I glued them in.

Next I started putting in pieces. The Airwaves instructions are not for the faint of heart. They do not tell you what to do or about any prep work or even what kit parts you should save or discard. Part numbers are incorrect, incipherable, duplicated. Fortunately one can work through things. I'm sure it'll look better once I get some paint in there.

I also cut away the ventral gunner station immediately aft of the bomb bay so I could modify it appropriately. Right now I'm still working interior parts, with a focus on the bomb bay and torpedo mount.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Can we agree on interior color ? I see Paul has black, Julian has green .... FWIW the Valom TB1 kit has green.

I'm pretty well done detailing and ready to start painting ...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

The only reason I did black is to hid the fact that there's nothing in there! I believe they would have been Int Green at this point in the war; later a/c types were black in places.
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

PaulBradley wrote:The only reason I did black is to hid the fact that there's nothing in there! I believe they would have been Int Green at this point in the war; later a/c types were black in places.
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that matt back interiors were introduced during the 1,000 bomber raid period later in the war, the idea being to reduce interior glare from multiple searchlights and glare over the target. I'm not sure if Hampdens ever participated in the big raids, they were mostly relegated to other duties, CC included by then. But once the fuselage is closed up it's hard to tell the interior colour anyway.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Having put in the Airwaves interior, I went nutsoid and added more formers and stringers, probably far too many. I am still doing interior cockpit owrk, etc.

I also built my Valom torpedo with MAT. The provided MAT was too long by about a third so I modified it appropriately. I have also been working on the bomb bay, the doors, and how to hang the torp correctly. This has got me all confused again. The Valom bomb bay doors are same size as Airfix but have a line (see black line) denoting, I believe, the two parts of an articulated door. Evidently when it opens the inner (center) parts are pushed out and ride up along the smaller outer part. You can see this best in the photo of the crew loading up a torp. But Valom doesn't not represent the doors that way when open. I hung them and they were way too far down.

The next point of confusion is getting a really clear shot of the doors "closed" around the torpedo. Now we know the torp is too long for the bomb bay and the MAT won't fit anyway, so that says the doors cannot completely close, or seems to say that. No drawings are provided. I know the ventral gunner station is "raised" to provide clearance, but does that mean enough clearance for the torp to stick out the closed doors, at a slight angle, just below the raised gunner station.

All this comes back to the original bomb bay doors. Several books say the "outer" (upper 1/3) of the bomb bay doors was fixed open. Some say the center section was removed, but I don't know what a "center section" is on these doors. I am beginning to think "fixed open" didn't mean open-open, but rather that the inner part was slid into the outer part permanently.

Thus, I think that I should cut the Valom doors along the line, mount the inner part inside the outer part as if it had slid up, then glue the combined part in place, closed. Thus will leave a space between the closed doors for the torpedo. (Unstated is that all this will be too thick and I'll have to make my own doors, or at least part of them).

I think I understand what I said. For those confused, I wish to portray my Hampden with torp loaded and ready to go, so the doors need to be in take-off/flight position, not wide open.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I too keep[ reading that the outer doors were locked in the open position and the inner door parts removed. I'd assumed that the inner door parts were those below the line on the Valom doors, so was intending to remove those and cement the upper parts in an open position. It would be of help if there was a clear photo of a torpedo in the bay with the doors, but I haven't been able to find one so far other than a long shot of a torpedo being dropped, but it's too far to make out the detail of the bomb bay doors.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oh, great - I was relying on you guys to show me what it looked like so I could copy you! ;-) :ha: :lol:

Nothing in my refs either.....
Paul

Return to “Airfix 1/72 Hampden SKGB”