John's TB.1 * * * Finished * * *

Runs: November 19th to December 23rd
GB Leader: bluesteel
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: John's TB.1

Post by Jagewa »

Looks spanking John, the torp and its fitting is tops. Just one thing that leaps out at me, I may be wrong, but do those "T" vents on the engine nacelles need to be turned 90 degrees?

Cheers
Jim
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Jagewa wrote:Looks spanking John, the torp and its fitting is tops. Just one thing that leaps out at me, I may be wrong, but do those "T" vents on the engine nacelles need to be turned 90 degrees?

Cheers
Jim
:oops: :oops: :oops:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks great, John - your interpretation of the torpedo/bomb bay issue is convincing.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A day of small adventure. The dullcoat coated. The masking unmasked. The MGs and antenna went into place.

The photo, under, is my favorite ... our valiant aircraft is anxious to be off for Norwegian waters ....

You know, there are things on this model that just do not want to line up straight regardless -- this is my 4th one and I think I'm Airfix Hampdened out. Still, it's one I remember, perhaps more fondly, from when I was a young'un ...

I had specific issues with the fit of the glass, apparent distortion of the upper fuselage behind the cockpit, a twist in the tail. I was unimpressed with the Airwaves photo-etch set and ended up using very little, and I wish hadn't used what I did. After I decided to add my own formers & stringers to fill it out, I caused problems with the bomb bay. As for my interpretation of the modification for the TB.1, without scale drawings and/or photos I was swingling blindly and while I think I had the right idea, I simply didn't know enough to modify either the kit or the Valom pieces to get it to fit correctly. I note that the Valom TB.1 does not have the mods I made so I'm not sure what I will do when I get around to that kit.

My progress was not helped by having half my cataract surgery; funny I usually don't complete GB's when I'm well, maybe ... nah, don't have enough eyes, or health insurance, do do one per GB ...

Thanks, Julian, for leaving this open a bit longer. Of course we all know your ulterior motive -- to be sure I finished it now rather than have another last minute mailing drama for SMW2012 ...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: John's TB.1 * * * Finished * * *

Post by PaulBradley »

Very cool, John.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Neat-O!

Like Julian's I'm taken with this scheme and I think you've done an excellent job with scant references. It's too easy to prevaricate or stall when you don't know the "right" answer so well done on going with your intuition and getting it built.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I should make a note. I had seriously considered shortening both the main gear and the tail wheel to reflect compressed oleos and all that -- then the torp would have been much closer to ground and the need for all these mods more apparent ... One day manufacturrers will give us the choice of up & down gera legs in the same package ...
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

John,

Impressive and striking finish. Well done!

Hope the second half of your eye surgery goes OK.

regards,

Martin

Return to “Airfix 1/72 Hampden SKGB”