Jim's suitcase...

Runs: November 19th to December 23rd
GB Leader: bluesteel
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Jim's suitcase...

Post by bluesteel »

Very good work on getting the Merlin inline to radial wall join for those engines. I know how tricky it can be, having fitted 4 Lancaster Merlins to a Merlin powered B-17 What-If!
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

A Merlin B-17, I'd be super keen to see that, got any piccies or linkies Julian, please, pretty please, and I'll even stretch to: pretty please with strawberries on top.. :)

Cheers
Jim
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Jagewa wrote:A Merlin B-17, I'd be super keen to see that, got any piccies or linkies Julian, please, pretty please, and I'll even stretch to: pretty please with strawberries on top.. :)

Cheers
Jim
OK as you asked so nicely Jim :-D :

There are some pics on the old UAMF site but I can't locate them, it was a few years ago and it's still unfinished. It's based on an old Revell B-17 kit and I discovered the transparencies are so poor a fit they are unusable, so it's on the 'awaiting vacform B-17 transparencies one day' list...

It took considerable hacking of the radials but I didn't make such nice bulkheads for the attachment as you have on your Hampden.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Ohh, thanks very much Julian, that is very cool, they really suit the B-17. Did you have much trouble getting the merlins all aligned?

Change the scheme to CC, it'll fit right in with your recent builds! :)

Cheers
Jim
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Jeepers been busy this weekend, so not much done on this, fixing kids bikes, and then playing with a soda bottle rocket, packed it in when we started landing the bottle (300ml), in the neighbours front yard across the road. :shock:
Cracking fun. :-D

Got some milliput on the nacelles, used electrical tape to give me a line, so I didn't get milliput everywhere, and I could sand it sort of evenly...
removed the tape and just a light sand removed the step from the tape.

I cemented in the ailerons tonight, tidy them up, then I'll primer the wing and nacelles to check how it looks.

Cheers
Jim
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

For info. There was an inline B17 built using four Allisons but it did not go into production. I have pictures :-)

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

DH-Drover wrote:For info. There was an inline B17 built using four Allisons but it did not go into production. I have pictures :-)

Dai
XB-38, based on the B-17E; crashed due to engine fire on its 3rd flight. No advantage to configuration so project was dropped. But it is pretty.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Sorry busy over the past week, but got the wings on tonight, and one new enlarged fin, form some laminated plasticard..
Also added some cannon troughs in the nose, and four holes for the machine guns..

Cheers
Jim
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Got the fin and tailplane on..
Looking at the fins on, I don't like them, I'm not sure if they are too big, or its the shape, they look Whitleyish to me. I think I'll shorten them a touch and curve the front corner a bit more...

Cheers
Jim
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Too tall, I reckon, Jim...maybe reduce by around 25%? Looking good though - especially like the lines of the new nose in conjunction with the new engines...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

SJPONeill wrote:Too tall, I reckon, Jim...maybe reduce by around 25%?
Sounds like good advice. If you wanted to go all de Havilland, you could try increasing the radius on the rear upper corner as well.

However, it's looking good - and it will certainly give people pause down your local modelling club!

regards,

Martin
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'd go with Simon, although you could lower the upper fins and extend the lower fins down.
Bit of a faff though.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Agree re extending the lower fins further down but they are probably as low as they can go without listing the tail plane, hefting up the tail wheel or switching to a tricycle undercarriage to get the clearance at the rear...

Hmmm...tricycle undercarriage....
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Hey thanks guys great advice,a tricycle under carriage is a great idea Simon, stuff up my nose cannons though, but here's what I've done, just reduced the height and getting the fin shape back to be more Hampdenish..
The before -

The after...
Overall..
a slight difference to the kit ones, but to me they look more suited to it.

Cheers
Jim
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Martin R wrote:.... If you wanted to go all de Havilland, ...
I was trying to look all Handley Page :oops: :cry:

Return to “Airfix 1/72 Hampden SKGB”