Issues and Fixes

Runs: December 1st to 31st
GB Leader: Brews
bobblelink
Active Participant

Re: Issues and Fixes

Post by bobblelink »

Thanks, this is really useful information
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Now that's very useful, Bruce! I'll incorporate a few of these into my build, though life's too short to include all of them! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Having the model in-flight, with gear up and canopy closed, will solve many of those issues.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

No real need, Brews.
Am I right in thinking that, in-flight, with canopy closed, Airfix made a good model for us to play with?

Regards,
Bruce
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Good job I was planning on doing just that then :)
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Bruce,

Would you consider doing anything to the main wheels? The Scammell wheel nuts around the rim of the wheel hub look well over-scale compared to eg Academy, Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, etc.

Not sure what I'd be able to do to correct though . . .

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brews wrote:Martin,

Rather than answering your question as to what I would consider doing (nothing), you should satisfy yourself with comparison to the actual wheels, rather than other manufacturer's representations, in the first instance.

See the 11th photo down here.

For a more accurate representation, you could replace the Airfix bolts with smaller-diameter rod of some sort, but tbh, it looks like they stand out about the right scale distance.

You will see that the wheels on that Dora are black. AFAI have been able to determine, wheel colour could be RLM 66 or 76. However, I do not doubt the accuracy of the research done for Yellow 10. I'm even beginning to accept that they may be right in not using a wheel-bay ceiling (although I prefer, for simplicity, to believe that a wheel bay ceiling would be a practical means of keeping gunk off the engine and so SOMETHING might have been there)
Thanks for that, Bruce,

I do think those wheel nuts around the rim are too big and I may just sand them off if I use the kit items. I also notice that the wheel hub has a somewhat concave dish to it, unlike the Airfix items that are flat and protrude a bit from the tyres. Were there 2 types of wheel hub? To my eye, the one on the pic looks closer to the HB rendition of the wheel.

It's a matter of personal preference of course - but given some of the other items you point out that could be done, the wheels are quite noticeable (if you build wheels down, of course!). Consequently, I may look to swap the wheels with something a bit closer from the spares box. That would help lift the finished article a bit imho. After all, I've got to have something that will distract attention from the closed canopy!

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brews wrote: You're making me scramble for my references, Martin
Well, someone's got to keep you on your toes! :ha:

Rummaging in the stash, I found an incomplete Academy D-9 that I got off e-bay. Happy days! Wheels and other bits and bobs for the Airfix D-9!

regards,

Martin
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Good stuff here Brews. I saw the D-13 at Champlin in AZ before re-painting. And a mean fish she is, Cap'in.

Almost forgot about the machine guns visible in the wheelwell.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

Brews wrote:Something that's always troubled me a little bit, and I've just put my finger on it - the pilot definitely sits too low.
I've just spotted this too - I've dry-fitted mine and he definitely needs a booster cushion!

That said, ISTR I tried to play as a FW 190D on "IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles" and couldn't get on with it because I couldn't see a thing in front of me. Maybe the pilot really was that low.

A 7 | 12 B
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hey guys, I am looking for ideas on how to paint the radiator. My thoughts were steel color and a black wash. Any thoughts?
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

I painted it black and drybrushed gunmetal on generously. You can only see a mm or so behind the prop spinner anyway so I didn't give it too much thought.

A 7 | 12 B
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

My LW ignorance is showing again - what colours are the u/c gear bays and legs?
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

OK, thanks Bruce.
Paul

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I really, REALLY don't like the sound of H30 and H78 for the camo for my Babysitter.
What's the recommendation in Humbrolese, sans mixing?

I can live with H65 or H90 for the lower portions of the fuselage, so what's recommended?

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Dora! Dora! Dora! - Airfix 1/72 Fw190D SKGB”