Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer ** Finished ***

Runs January 1st 2012 to January 31st
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer ** Finished ***

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm going to start 2012 boldly, trying two builds in one GB. That'll make up for punting on my more complex first choice, but my eye surgery schedule is an issue.

Anyway, the Amodel 1/72 of the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer, a kit I have had around just for the beauty of the sircraft -- if you don't like Rutan designs, you have no heart ....

From Wikipedia:
The Scaled Composites Model 311 Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer (registered N277SF) is an aircraft designed by Burt Rutan in which Steve Fossett flew a solo nonstop airplane flight around the world in a time of 67 hours 1 minute from February 28, 2005 until March 3, 2005. The flight speed of 590.7 km/h (342.2 mph) broke the Absolute World Record for the fastest nonstop unrefueled circumnavigation set by the previous Rutan-designed Voyager aircraft at 9 days 3 minutes and an average speed of 186.11 km/h (115.65 mph). The aircraft was owned by the pilot Steve Fossett, sponsored by Richard Branson's airline, Virgin Atlantic, and built by Burt Rutan's company, Scaled Composites. The companies had previously announced a combined effort for Virgin Galactic. Between February 8, 2006 – February 11, 2006, Fossett flew the GlobalFlyer for the longest aircraft flight distance in history: 25,766 miles (41,467 km). You can read more about it here.

The kit appears very simple, the molding is quite nice with no obvious flash, sink marks, or ejector pins -- but then again I can't see very well either. It has no panel lines, making life very simple.

Paint is mostly white, all the colors specified are Humbrol so I'm set. The only risk is if I have decal problems.

I think I shall build this gear up, to be hung, along with Voyager, from my ceiling. Alternatively, since Voyager comes with a stand, I might just make a stand for the GF also ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer

Post by Martin R »

Nice!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

All I did today was give all the plastic, inside & out, a light spray of Tamiya White Primer then clip off a few of the major pieces. That ought to take care of any prep issues and give a good base for real paint later ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Today I cleaned all the sprue gates off, cleaned flash off, sanded down the primer, did a bit of test fitting & trimming.

I am fortunatre there is no warpage on the pieces so despite that lack of locator pins it should go together easily enough.

I decided to put the boom gear doors on before joining the boom pieces. Good thing, the doors leave gaps front and rear. I also decided to put the cabin door on before joining the sides together, and am really glad I did -- it was a fight to get it fitted and held in place for gluing and near impossible if I had done it when the instructions said ....

More of the same tomorrow, then maybe some pix ...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Does this kit look like a rush-it-out kit, John?
Most Amodel kits require some work, but this sounds a bit more primitive than their usual.

REgards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

No, I think it "typical" Eastern European for the time, and frankly nothing that can't be handled by a little modeling. Like I said, it is warp-free, and wings like these give a manufacturer any number of ways to do a bad job. The difficulty with the fuselage door is mainly due to a lack of a little backing nub to sit it against. The Voyager, that might be a different subject, it is earlier, and cruder ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Today I put the fuselage and both booms together. In case you think you missed something, I'm going to hang these from the ceiling gear-up and so I left out all the interior/gear detail. With the few tiny windows you wouldn't see it anyway.

I had previously done some clean-up. Today I focused on clean-up of edges and joins for fit. When happy, I put several clamps on each to hold them together -- then I worked between each clamp using Tenax and the ol' Mark I Finger-Thumb Clamp to get it sealed just right, alternating top & bottom. After they dry, overnight, I'll put a bit more tenax in the spots covered by the clamps, then do any touch up sanding.

I am a great believer in the ol' woodworking adage -- "If it ain't clamped, it ain't glued".

I have complained about flash and clean-up and I think I have been accurate. OTOH to balance things, I mentioned parts are warp-free, and I must also say that the fuselage and boom halves are about as identical as they can be and they mate very cleanly.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Over the last couple days, I have been going through eye #2 surgery and not done much. All that happened yesterday (Friday) and seems to have gone well. I now have two eyes nearly alike and have to start all over figuring out how to use them. It'll be another few weeks until I can go in and see about corrective lenses for driving/distance; for intermediate, I may be just fine without; for near I may just get by dealing with "cheaters" and today I got a new one for reading and another for modeling. The lens in eye#1 has clouded up so I'll need a spot of laser to fix it in about 90 days; that allows the eye to be fully healed and more importantly the insurnace to cover it. At any rate, it seems I can get back to a bit more modeling now ....

Anyway, what I have been doing is sanding out the fuselage and boom seams. Note the Flex-I-File which is just wonderful for sanding rounded joins without leaving flat spots. Anyway, these components are ready and I've now glued in the fuselage-boom stub wing. I should be able to get the booms, wings, and tails on in sort order.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Looking very good. Good luck with the eye business. To bad they don't make Krystal-Klear for the eyes.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Assembling the booms to the center section ....

Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Good news about the eyes, all the best for a speedy healing.

Great jig work....

Cheers
Jim
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Note to self, pick up some Lego when next at parents.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

This one must be about getting it lined up properly - as James says maybe you´re never too old for Lego!
running at the edge of their world
dknights
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dknights »

Legos. Why didn't I think of that?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Good luck with your eyes, I'm glad you are on the mend.

The Flyer is taking shape, I look forward to watching this build.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Boom! Boom! Basil Brush's Twin-boom Aircraft GB”