Rutan Voyager *** Finished ***

Runs January 1st 2012 to January 31st
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Rutan Voyager *** Finished ***

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm going to start 2012 boldly, trying two builds in one GB. That'll make up for punting on my more complex first choice, but my eye surgery schedule is an issue.

Anyway, the Amodel 1/72 of the Rutan Voyager, a kit I have had around just for the beauty of the sircraft -- if you don't like Rutan designs, you have no heart ....

From Wikipedia:
The Rutan Model 76 Voyager was the first aircraft to fly around the world without stopping or refueling. It was piloted by Richard Rutan and Jeana Yeager. The flight took off from Edwards Air Force Base's 15,000 foot (4,600 m) runway in the Mojave Desert on December 14, 1986, and ended 9 days, 3 minutes and 44 seconds later, on December 23. The aircraft flew easterly 26,366 statute miles (42,432 km; the FAI accredited distance is 40,212 km)[1] at an average altitude of 11,000 feet (3,350 m). This definitively broke a previous record set by a United States Air Force crew piloting a Boeing B-52 that flew 12,532 miles (20,168 km) in 1962. You can read more about it here.

The kit appears very simple, but unlike the Global Flyer, the molding has lots of flash, thick connections, etc. Fortunately, it has no panel lines, making life and clean-up very simple.

Paint is all white, all the colors specified are Humbrol so I'm set. The only risk is if I have decal problems.

I think I shall build this gear up, deither to be hung from the ceiling along with Global Flyer, or on it's stand or maybe one of my own making.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rutan Voyager

Post by Martin R »

jRatz wrote:
-- if you don't like Rutan designs, you have no heart ....
John,

Good luck!

Gotta love a Rutan. I read recently that they've flown one at least one new aircraft for every year that the company has been in existence. So at least one aircraft firm is in practise . . .

regards,

Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

All I did today was give all the plastic, inside & out, a light spray of Tamiya White Primer then clip off a few of the major pieces. That ought to take care of any prep issues and give a good base for real paint later ... The closer I look, the worse this plastic is compared to the Global Flyer ...
dknights
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dknights »

John,

I'll be watching this one, since I too have a soft spot for the Rutan designs.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great, original build subject John. If memory serves, didn't this rub off it's wingtip finlets on take off?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Today I started cleaning off sprue gates, flash, snading down the primer, etc -- unlike the G-Flyer this one is pretty rough, although the surface looks fine. I still haven't finished cleaning all the main pieces, so that'll happen tomorrow.

I did a couple test fits and see some potential problems there the canard elevators go thrpugh the fuselage and see where that will be signinficant for alignment.

I'll do more toimorrow and maybe put up some pix ...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Whilst a great subject choice, this sounds like another challenging build with few parts. I'm sure you're up to the challenge, John.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

See my Global Flyer comments, same procedures were followed here, and don't need repeating. That also applies to the alignment of the booms, although maybe a bit less so -- still it is very good.

The issue would seem to be, as I mentioned last post, the alignment of the canard assembly. The two elevators are joined at a central piece which is mounted in the fuselage. There are two holes on each elevator tab and pins on the joining piece. It would have been great if there were a trough for the tabs to lie in and guarantee alignment but there isn't so I did it by taping, tweaking, and measuring then a quick shot of Tenax to lock the pieces in place.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

John,

Your model appears to be being attacked by a herd of multi-coloured duck billed platypuses! :shock:

regards,

Martin
dknights
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dknights »

Martin R wrote:John,

Your model appears to be being attacked by a herd of multi-coloured duck billed platypuses! :shock:

regards,

Martin
I was thinking the same thing. :lol:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

See my latest Global Flyer post for eye information .... Anyway, I appear to be back at modeling now ....

As with the Global Flyer, I took my Flex-I-File to the Voyager to get all the seams and rounded surfaced well sanded without flat spots.

I also have the canard mounted in the fuselage and the fuselage halves joined. On test fit, the canard had anhedral but it seemed to me the box art showed dihedral, so I went image hunting and after finding enough I decided anhedral was correct and so I put it together. The fuselage join is ugly and will take some filler and sanding. I also see I forgot to put a backing in the rear intakes to hide the lack of engine, and in fact didn't even paint the interior black to hide the lack of anything ... oh, well.

The other thing to note in the picture are the ugly-cast props, one appears to have a growth on it. These will take some time to get right.

Anyway, once the fuselage is well dry then filled and sanded, I can get to work adding the booms, wings, etc ....
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

John,

Glad to hear everything went well and that things are improving on the vision front. Looking forward to seeing more of the record breakers you're doing.

regards,

Martin
Raptor
Getting well comfy!

Post by Raptor »

A really challenging - and original, build. Love it!
Shaun T
aka:
CAG-00.

Build for your pleasure - not theirs.

1:72 Intruder
54mm Marvel "Thor"
Revell 1:32 Tornado 2009 Tigermeet
Revell 1:72 F16 Tigermeet

A: 1 B: 5
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The join of the upper & lower fuselage halves did not hold because the canard was too tight a fit. This was a good thing as it appeared a bit lopsided anyway. I'll have to work harder at shaping the canard slots, etc ....
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Never seen this built up - those are pretty weird instructions!
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Boom! Boom! Basil Brush's Twin-boom Aircraft GB”