CAG's Revell \ Monogram Black Widow ***FINISHED***

Runs January 1st 2012 to January 31st
Raptor
Getting well comfy!

CAG's Revell \ Monogram Black Widow ***FINISHED***

Post by Raptor »

Well, off and running..... thought I had made a head start, because when I opened the box, the interior was already green. Except that when I got it inside in some decent light - it was way too dark! Back to the drawing board.

So - a coat of Zinc Chromate later, and it was ready to roll.
First - the KIT:
My plan is to do each step of the instructions as a separate post - so, here's step one!

Brushwork first, instrument panel, armests, other crew area details.... set it all aside to dry.

Step One.(A)
Like most kits - it starts with the cockpit. I was tempted to make some seatbelts - but just followed the lightly engraved ones that were on the seats to paint them. It all went together just fine, but it wasnt til I finished that I realised the floor was warped. (You can see it in the photos....) I'm just hoping that when I close the fuselage up that I can straighten it out.

The Front Office - Notice the warping of the floor piece.

Back of the Front Office

The Back Office

(B) Strangely enough - the Upper Turret was next. Again, this went together with a minimum of fuss. I didnt paint any of it - figuring I'd detail the guns after the overall paint job had been done. (I could just see what was going to happen if I tried to mask the gun barrels off...) Once this assembly had dried, I drilled out the gun barrels.

The Turret

(C) the front undercarriage and bay. I decided to leave the oleo until after the main paint job had been done - again, I could see parts coming off attached to the masking tape. I'll come back to this bit!

That's it so far - next up is to close the fuselage up - stay tuned!!
Shaun T
aka:
CAG-00.

Build for your pleasure - not theirs.

1:72 Intruder
54mm Marvel "Thor"
Revell 1:32 Tornado 2009 Tigermeet
Revell 1:72 F16 Tigermeet

A: 1 B: 5
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: CAG's Revell \ Monogram Black Widow

Post by Martin R »

Good progress. The interior looks great!

regards,

Martin
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Looking very impressive so far Raptor. I can see what you mean about the warpage in the floor but, on the bright side, it's a big floor so you shouldn't have to put too much stress on it to get it to straighten up in the fuselage.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

thats coming along very nicely. never built one of these but always thought i would like to.
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
smethwick
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by smethwick »

Looking good so far..great job on the cockpit
An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.
Elbert Hubbard
Raptor
Getting well comfy!

Post by Raptor »

Dazzled wrote:Looking very impressive so far Raptor. I can see what you mean about the warpage in the floor but, on the bright side, it's a big floor so you shouldn't have to put too much stress on it to get it to straighten up in the fuselage.
Fortunately Dazzle, that turned out to be the case - no issues at all :)
Shaun T
aka:
CAG-00.

54mm Marvel "Thor"

Raptor
Getting well comfy!

Re: CAG's Revell \ Monogram Black Widow Part 2

Post by Raptor »

Thanks for all the feedback folks - nice to have some encouragement along the way!!

Section Two - here we go again!!

Step Two. (A, B)
Cockpit sidewalls, and cannons into the fuselage, then the cockpit assembly from Step One. Everything went together easily, except that the warped floor didnt sit quite right in the left hand fuselage. Fortunately when I closed it all up, it straightened out... with the help of a lot of masking tape to hold the fuselage halves together.
(After I removed the tape, I still found the two halves were slightly stepped in places, so on with a bit of Tamiya filler to even it out.)

Fuselage halves

Cannons fitted. Nice detail, if a bit basic.

(C) The Radar assembly... things slowed down a bit here. It all went together as advertised - but I couldnt leave it without wiring. I could only find one decent picture of the radar assembly, and that was a black and white one, so the wiring is more representative than accurate. I used fine wires from Parts Box - intended as spark plug wires on auto models, but perfect for my needs. I couldnt find any good detail photos of the wiring etc in this area, so it is more for effect than realism..... It simply looked too bare without wiring. I left the dish off til after the wiring was done - it slipped on easily - no problems there. A bit of aluminium dry brushed around the framework, and it was ready to be put into place. Finally, the front undercarriage floor went in - I'm just hoping I dont regret leaving the oleo off......

The Radar - you can see the wiring is a bit basic, but I think it does add something.

I'm discovering as I go that this kit gives the option for a lot of open panels..... one engine cowling, cannon bays, radome, even some of the glass can be posed open. Of course, if you can open it on a kit like this - then open it's going to be!!

That's it for this leg..... I'm pretty happy so far, she's gone together quite nicely, and the couple of little touches I have added seem to be working..... more soon folks!!

CAG.
Shaun T
aka:
CAG-00.

54mm Marvel "Thor"

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

All that yummy detail you've painted up deserves to be seen.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I remember doing this under its Monogram label a long time ago -- one of many of their 48th series that I loved -- although I don't remember the fuselage detail, perhaps I just skipped it and closed it up, unlike some of the others that I worked hard at ....
Great build and very informative !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

CAG,

That is some seriously impressive - and pretty quick - work! You're whetting my appetite for more.

regards,

Martin
smethwick
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by smethwick »

very busy cockpit..lovin' it
An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.
Elbert Hubbard
shaun8478
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by shaun8478 »

superb detail work,well done mate.
looks awsome.
Raptor
Getting well comfy!

Post by Raptor »

thanks for the feedback guys - I've never done a group build before - but I'm sure I'll be doing more. It's good to get some positive comments along the way! :grin:
Step 3.
The wings - and Basil finally appears - Boom Boom.... :lol:

So the kit has facility for the flaps being lowered. OF course, you know what that means. I deviated from the instructions, which call for the flaps to be cemented in place prior to the wings being closed together - but a dry fit showed it would be easier to glue the wings together then do the flaps - so I went that way.
Flaps 60' please.... :ha:

Engine next - and check out how badly the prop pin was bent..... a bit of judiciously applied heat sorted that. Assembled, painted gunmetal, with steel piping, and an aluminium dry brushing it looks the part.

That pesky bent pin.... :twisted:

Engine, fitted to the boom:

Prior to gluing the boom together and sealing the engine in, I began detailing the undercarriage bay. Then stopped. Seeing as this beast is going on a base - it will never be seen, so why waste the time......

The undercarriage bay - fortunately I didn't do too much work on it!! :roll:

I've been leaving bits and pieces off - like the undercarriage - which I'm sure would just get broken during painting. They'll all go on later as complete assemblies.

So - Wings, booms, and engine done - tomorrow night, they all start going together.
Shaun T
aka:
CAG-00.

54mm Marvel "Thor"

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

This is coming along great Raptor. You're really bringing the best out of this old kit.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Rapter you are amazing, the detail you are bringing out in this kit is outstanding.

Keep up the good work, this is fun to watch.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Boom! Boom! Basil Brush's Twin-boom Aircraft GB”