Stamfords Late Entry Heller J21

Runs January 1st 2012 to January 31st
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Stamfords Late Entry Heller J21

Post by Stamford »

Permission has been granted for me to join in with my first ever group build! I missed the fact that this was going on and actually started building this at the start - karma?
Here´s the box -

The J21 just missed not being involved in WW2 and entered service in 1946. Famous for being converted into one of the first jets with a few mods and being one of the first aircraft to boast an ejector seat. Said to be more of a stable gun platform than an acrobat it became a ground attack aircraft armed with bombs and rockets a la Typhoon. Main problem with the type was engine overheating especially on the ground when the wing mounted a la Fury air cooling was of no use.
Pretty typical Heller kit with a bit of detail but plenty of scope for improvement. I intend to do her lid open and add the embarcation ladder which slides out of the fuselage. The slot for this was cut out and the machine gun holes on the nose drilled. I improved the kit seat by adding some wire and a couple of bits of card before adding some pe belts. The IP was a fair fit for a Stuka decal I had over and I also added some bits and bobs scrap pe to add business to the cockpit.

Added some lead to the nose, hope its enough, and joined it up. Sanded up and then scribed back the lost panel lines - this has raised lines but scribing that is not sanded back makes a resonable job of replacing lost detail. I then added the wings which left few gaps - the worst on the underside. I fixed these with my usual Tamiya filler and aceton wipe. The nasty gap was done by masking along the panel lines first and then sanding finely after the acetone treatment and came out pretty well not losing a lot of detail.

The air intakes were a bit weak joining together from the upper and lower wings and this didn´t work to well so I cut them out and inserted plastic card instead. This will be trimmed back and thats as far as I´ve got. I´m waiting on a new airbrush but there is a bit of construction to go so no panic yet!
running at the edge of their world
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Stamfords Late Entry Heller J21

Post by JamesPerrin »

Nice choice of subject.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Brews wrote:For your penance, you must convert it to a J-21R :)
Thats tough :shock:
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Bit of progress made over the weekend. Had a dimple on the nose which is unusual for a Heller - this is how I handle these

Add a bit of Tamiya putty swipe clean and then clear up with acetone - repeat as required. Added the booms too - at this stage the undercart should be added, clamped between the booms, but this would interfere with painting and would never survive my gentle oven glove handling dexterity - so I added a bit of scrap to provide a bottom for adding them at the end of the build.

I then proceeded to glue the wrong halves of the booms together :oops: This was a close one but I was using poly and discovered it just in time to prise them apart, it was close though! I remember doing this to a P38 as a kid and losing the kit :twisted: - traumatic childhood experience. After double checking I then glued the correct halves together and after seam cleaning added the booms to the body - nice fit here - and added the tail plane. Swiped round a tad of Tamys and acetone to blend in the joins and this is where I´m at.

Hope my airbrush arrives soon - I need it!
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

nice looking in an odd sort of way !
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hi,

Has the airbrush arrived?

regards,

Martin
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

The airbrush has landed! Being a cheap bar steward I bought a model master on e-bay not quite sure it was compatable to my aztek set up - it is! Marked on the paperwork 1996 but unused in the original packaging - I´m not sure sending in the lifetime warranty form will do me much good though!
So I got spraying. I then added the decals - this is the first time I´ve used Heller decals as usually they are usually - err - un-usable but I got these on ok. Very thin they were hard to adjust and had to be handled with kids gloves - had to touch up the yellow in a few places. I like the look of them though, they look late forties to me. Didn´t use any solvent on them just a coat of klear which settled them ok.

I´m now playing with the canopy which comes in three parts but I needed to split it into five to have the lid open as planned. This involved two cuts - stressful but I made it I hope! Cracked a corner off one of the side windows but a gentle filing should bodge it through. Frame painting ongoing. Getting stuck on the wheels which are poor from the kit. This aircraft was known for its tractor like tires so I´m thinking maybe a little toy car if I can steal one from a child somehow. My own offspring are too big!

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Stamford,

I'm guessing this one's nearly done?

regards,

Martin
Stamford

Re: Stamfords Late Entry Heller J21 - pretty much finished

Post by Stamford »

Heres a couple of poor pictures - I´ll take a few with a better camera when I´ve got a mo. It´s missing the canon on the nose which I need to replace after knocking it off. In the end I used the kit tyres and filed them to get a heavy tread. The embarcation ladder is from spares, if memory serves me correctly from an Airfix B25 that never made it. The open canopy worked out ok and I had to make a trip into town to get some glue and glaze for the wing and nose transparancies as my clearfix had gone solid! I´m quite pleased with it all in all the added details make it quite a busy finish.

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well done, sir!

I'm looking forward to seeing some better photos of this to appreciate all the work you've put in.

regards,

Martin

Return to “Boom! Boom! Basil Brush's Twin-boom Aircraft GB”