Motley's Desert Tonka **Finished**

Anything with a toothy grin, not just aircraft, not just sharks ...
Runs January 14th to February 28th.
Motley
Active Participant

Motley's Desert Tonka **Finished**

Post by Motley »

This GB has given me a chance to build something ive wanted to for a while now, one of the Gulf War Tornados and gives me a reason to finally build the Revell Tornado thats just been sitting in my stash for ages. So ill be using this kit,

With this Xtradecal set that focuses on the Gulf War aircraft and has decals for loads of different aircraft,

And the exact aircraft im going to model is, ZA475, Triffid Airways

The decals i bought off ebay so i havent got the sheet to show where the decals go so ive got to find as many different references of the aircraft as i can :) Really looking forward to this build noww :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Motley
Active Participant

Re: Motley's Desert Tonka

Post by Motley »

Soo got round to starting this today :) So far ive managed to get the seats done with the whole cockpit and then managed to close up the cockpit halves and ive also had abit of a paly with the wings and the nose cone is painted and made a start on the weapons (need to work out a load out for a gulf war tonka :???: ) and also put together the recognisable part of a tonka the fin :grin:

This is where is stands now, everything is glued except the fuselarge which is just taped together :)

Must say so far ive really enjoy this kit, ive heard people say all different boards its a good kit and i have to say it is a lovely kit and it has tons of detail, id reconmend this kit to anyone wanting to build a tonka :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

Looking good. It is amazing at how much detail Revell put into their 1/72 cockpits nowadays. May have to get one now.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Molly-new wrote:Looking good. It is amazing at how much detail Revell put into their 1/72 cockpits nowadays. May have to get one now.
Id say get one :) im loving this kit, been afriad of it for month cause of the detail but im loving it now, ill defo be buying a few more of these, quite a few schemes i want to build :grin:
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Little update on the build, most of it is now together as you can see below and ive also managed to get all the weapons im going to hang from it done as well, all ive got to do is a few little bits and it will be ready for a nice deserty pinky paint job :)

Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

That's a nice lookig load out :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good Motley. I built this kit a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. IIRC it's supposed to be quite accurate as well, which is always a bonus :)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Still ploding away at this one, ive got the paint stage now which is taking its time. Im using Xtracrylix Gulf War Desert Pink for the main colouring and it does look good when its down just takes a few coats to get it down, thinking that this paint could have down with a primer underneathe but you got to learn these things someway :) just got the bottom to paint up now and im working my way through painting the things that hang off it at the same time, this is going to be the longest part of this model, atleast there are not many decals to put on it once its all nice and painted :-D
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Little picy, here you can see my on going painting of the Tonka, its slowly getting there but ive done more work today painting it since this picture was taken and its close to being totally paintedn besides the hangy part now :)

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good Motley, the Tonka is such a great looking jet IMHO. I'd almost forgotten what a great kit this Revell offering is. I also see you've got the wings and engines on your Lanc in the four engine GB, you have been a busy boy. I've only just got the box open and put the windows in my 747!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

ShaunW wrote:Looking good Motley, the Tonka is such a great looking jet IMHO. I'd almost forgotten what a great kit this Revell offering is. I also see you've got the wings and engines on your Lanc in the four engine GB, you have been a busy boy. I've only just got the box open and put the windows in my 747!
It is my favourite jet by far and the best looking aircraft ever along with the Hurricane :-D This is a lovely kit and goes together soo easy, and my Lanc was just something to play with while putting coats on this Tonka :ha:

Quick update on the build, the main painting is now done i think just need to finish the weapons and the little details like the u/c doors and then its time for decals :) Fingers crossed ill have it done by the weekend :)
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Here is the Tonka after its painting:

Just got to paint up the details and the weapons which ill start getting through today and then its decal time. Its slowly getting there now :)
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Lovely build so far,one of my favourite planes as well,nice choice with the desert scheme.
BEEN A WHILE
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

bromo wrote:Lovely build so far,one of my favourite planes as well,nice choice with the desert scheme.
One of my favourites to Bromo, best looking jet in my eyes :)

Well its all done and dusted now :) Got the last few bits on it today so now i have a nice deserty sharky tonka :-D

Got to say this is a lovely kit and i would say to any one wanting a Tonka to get this kit, the detail on it is brilliant and you get a huge heap of weapons to load it up with. I finished it as ZA475 Triffid Airways, which i dont think ive ever seen another model of :) i know there is a few bits i could of done better but im really happy with this build :)

Enjoy :)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Motley's Desert Tonka **Finished**

Post by splash »

Well done motley, you have done a grand job, after that build the Airfix Dambuster should be a breeze to build.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Shark Mouth'd Things GB”