Telford 2012 Display Suggestions

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Telford 2012

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A list of kits that represent british icons is one approach but it is limiting and we may stretch the definition of "iconic" just to fill the table.

Why not go a step further and try to use CBK's to represent British icons, and by that I mean in the broadest scope of true icons. I did a Google and came up with several lists, obviously representing opinions, but many items on those lists made me, token Yank, instantly say "British".

Here's a few websites:
1- multi-level lists
2- a list of 100
3- more
4- more

Pardon the pun, but it would take some real "thinking outside the box". For example ...
The Beatles -- could we make them out of the 1/32 figure line ?
A cricket game -- same thing ?
TV Show Dad's Army -- there's a lot in the 76th range that we could make a Home Guard scene from ...
Steed, Peel, Avengers ?
Dr Who ?
Red Phone Booth -- railroad accessories ?
English Robin, Bulldog ?
Robin Hood, King Arthur.
Nelson, Wellington from a 32nd figure ?

I suspect that the older issues of Airfix magazine & the Annuals may suggest some relevant conversions ...
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Excellent list James - I'm thinking of several diorama possibilities already (current HMS Victory in dry dock at Pompey with a queue of punters waiting for the tour -I can probably prise the little people off of this years SR-N4 box art baseboard to save myself a couple of quid! :ha: ).

Just one glaring omission of a British Classic (to keep the resident Greasers happy)

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Thank you, you good ol' "pedantic foreigner", you! ;-)

In the 100- list, I only see some 18 possibilities for CBK'er's, but that list may grow.
That said...

Airfix does a couple of very nice Bulldog kits and there could be an opening for the Black Diamonds boxart piece.
"Empire of the Clouds" (book) suggests lots of 50's record breakers, courtesy of the big 3 CBK makers, alongside a Merlin Swift or two?

There used to be a Cricket-version of Subbuteo. Completely pants as a game, but maybe a useful filler.
Robin Hood was an HO/OO set and, of course, Airfix did Robins.

Airfix and Matchbox and FROG cover Nelson and Wellington and Churchill. A trackside cottage, with trad. roofing, may hint at Thatcher.

Beautiful Aston and Jag's must be seen.

A slant to keep things away from pure and simple nostalgia might be to include old Mini/new Mini, etc.. Some borrowed items from modern Hornby and Scalextrix to sit alongside older Airfix/Rosebud trains and cars.
The old omnibus alongside a new Routemaster?
Old footballers alongside the new-ish ones? Dr.Who is modern enough and represents modern Airfix, (to a degree).

Potential downside to this maybe the lack of modern Made in Britain and British stuff, unless Brews' excellent point re forging links with Europe and the US of A took a part.
A new Airfix sub alongside HMS Nelson and Victory, may not look pleasant, but the modern Landrover alongside and older equivalent should be okay.

One of the things that the CC/CBK stands excel at is public engagement. Perhaps this could be exploited to include some more active recruitment to the SIG's at the show. Actually get people to sign up there and then, with a Username (that they can later change if wanted), name and postal addy/email addy...one or the other, or both.
A possible incentive could be an exemption to the x number of posts required to flog stuff through the site.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

When I typed up the post I for some reason thought it was the 50th hence Golden, then realised it was the 60th but forgot to change the other to Diamond. My mind likes to play tricks on me.

I'm not keen on the word 'iconic" myself as it throws up images of the usual subjects (yawn). I'm quite happy to stretch the concept as like Beany suggests though the Norton Camander by not be recognised by everyone, like the say an E-Type, it is a classic within it's own field.

Good points made regards our 80's cut off point - but I think that comes down on how we spin it, "Since '52" would work.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Anyone been working on any other ideas for the display? We should probably have to start a vote fairly soon, I think, if we are going to start proper planning.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JamesPerrin wrote:I'm not keen on the word 'iconic" myself as it throws up images of the usual subjects (yawn).
Depends on how they are presented.
Paul

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MerlinJones wrote: ....
One of the things that the CC/CBK stands excel at is public engagement. Perhaps this could be exploited to include some more active recruitment to the SIG's at the show. Actually get people to sign up there and then, with a Username (that they can later change if wanted), name and postal addy/email addy...one or the other, or both.
A possible incentive could be an exemption to the x number of posts required to flog stuff through the site.

Regards,
Bruce
Not sure I'm for any of this -- let's remember that UAMF & the CC/CBK SIGs are technically not the same. For instance, how do we handle passwords ? What if we get 300 people, who/how manyof us will be needed to plug them in ? What's the reaction if we don't get it done for several days & they want in now ? How many will we put up that are never used ? And why offer an exception to allow them to flog goods?

IMHO, we want people who participate, and we only want those who can, on their own, take the time to go to the site and join or just join the CBK.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PaulBradley wrote:
JamesPerrin wrote:I'm not keen on the word 'iconic" myself as it throws up images of the usual subjects (yawn).

I'm afraid we're making a circular definition and what we will end up with is a display of iconic/favorite kits representing iconic/favorite British things, mostly aircraft knowing this lot, and there will be no impact because some variation of the same thing, maybe under a different title, will be seen on many other tables.

IMHO, we need to suggest and work up our theme independent of the kits, then cull by what we can do to represent it with kits (& hard work).

So:
1) what 3-4 dozen things are instantly recognized as "British" around the "world" independent of any modeling kit, technique, supply, etc,
and after we have that list
2) what 1-2 dozen can we adequately represent using CBK (plus).

At least that's my take on all this ...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

jRatz wrote:
MerlinJones wrote:...One of the things that the CC/CBK stands excel at is public engagement. Perhaps this could be exploited to include some more active recruitment to the SIG's at the show. Actually get people to sign up there and then, with a Username (that they can later change if wanted), name and postal addy/email addy...one or the other, or both.

Regards,
Bruce
Not sure I'm for any of this -- let's remember that UAMF & the CC/CBK SIGs are technically not the same.
This I know and the UAMF isn't at the show...it's the place where the SIG's meet and, rather than send new members to Matt's potting shed, we send them here.
jRatz wrote: For instance, how do we handle passwords ?

Easy...we give them a Password, eg bruce001, bruce002, etc., (if I recruit them), that they can change on arrival.This could also help us keep track.
jRatz wrote:What if we get 300 people, who/how manyof us will be needed to plug them in ?
Nice thought, though I doubt such high numbers. Besides, how many Admin staff have expressed concern that they're not doing much?
jRatz wrote:What's the reaction if we don't get it done for several days & they want in now ?
If they want in 'now', then they'll join up on their own accord anyway. A simple verbal explanation that there may be a 'small delay' before we get to admin them in. No different from other Clubs, Branches and SIG's. The size of delay will probably be known to us, because of our Password numbering system.
jRatz wrote:How many will we put up that are never used ?
Probably the same amount that join up anyway.
jRatz wrote:And why offer an exception to allow them to flog goods?
That was just a suggestion.
jRatz wrote:IMHO, we want people who participate, and we only want those who can, on their own, take the time to go to the site and join or just join the CBK.
...And I think you're missing one of the major reasons for running the show...it's so, so much more than Competition. The whole ethos, from the beginning, was to engage with the public. Not just with fellow modellers, but with those non-modellers and those unattached dabblers. One of the busiest areas of the Show is the IPMS-UK stand, where recruitment to the UAMF-UK takes place.

Previous years, there has been little evidence of pro-active recruitment amongst the Branches and SIG's, though I know it occurs. We pride ourselves on our current levels of engagement at shows...active recruitment could provide evidence of this, alongside giving ourselves a measure of our effectiveness at engagement.
I'm not, for one minute, suggesting we become hard-nosed salesmen, harrassing and bothering the punters. I'm suggesting we use our existing chatty styles to encourage the interest shown at shows and seize the moment.

I'll also expect that, upon seeing this, other SIG's will take the idea and run with it. Unlike other SIG's and Branches, we will resist any urge to turn it into some sort of competition.

We have Huddersfield coming up in the new year and could trial the idea out then.

Regards,
Bruce
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

jRatz wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:

I'm afraid we're making a circular definition and what we will end up with is a display of iconic/favorite kits representing iconic/favorite British things, mostly aircraft knowing this lot, and there will be no impact because some variation of the same thing, maybe under a different title, will be seen on many other tables.
Depends on how they are presented in the sense that a bunch of models sat on the table can be a little boring and sterile. I'm thinking bases, scenes, dioramas and so forth - a more dynamic presentation than rows of models on a table. Anyone can (and do) do that.
Paul

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

What about a "Parade"? The Queen on a reviewing stand watching the serried ranks of British icons flying, sailing, marching and driving past? It'd need a bit of work in terms of perspective and kit scales and organisation (he says, dramatically understating the challenges...). It could be a bit timeline-y, with the "focus" at 1977 in the centre, which as we know was a good year for CBKs as well...

bestest,
M.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

That actually sounds like a cool idea.

I mean, beyond maybe, possibly, perhaps, going to Telford next year I have no particular involvement in it, but it does sound like a cool idea if it can be done.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

mattbacon wrote:What about a "Parade"? The Queen on a reviewing stand watching the serried ranks of British icons flying, sailing, marching and driving past? It'd need a bit of work in terms of perspective and kit scales and organisation (he says, dramatically understating the challenges...). It could be a bit timeline-y, with the "focus" at 1977 in the centre, which as we know was a good year for CBKs as well...

bestest,
M.
And a Swordfish on slow fly-by, with flag and the back-seaters standing & saluting !!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

So...British landmarks, during the reign of HRH.
For each landmark, a year.
For each year, a "New!" CBK, with other contemporary items, to place the kit into some context.

So 1982 (Falklands) would have a "New!" Matchbox Sea Harrier kit, a World Cup, (Footballers), Prince William is born, (Lionheart figure).

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”