Telford 2012 Display Suggestions

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Telford 2012

Post by mattbacon »

Too early? Too late, mate... it's all decided, half the models are made, the table plan's done and I've designed the T-shirts...

;-P

If we think about it now, does that mean that we'll all have our models finished and in the hands of the on-site team maybe a week or two before the big day...? Ah, no... obviously that's as much of a fantasy as my first line...

OK: ideas, anyone?

bestest,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Actually, I have been thinking about it, and I wonder if it might be time to start presenting ideas...?

Sorry, James - he started it..... :ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Traditionally we give the SIG leader a break till the new year. :ha:
At least wait till I've got my bathroom fitted in a few weeks.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Give you something else to think about other than the water dripping ... somewhere ... :razz:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

OK, so we all give this some serious thought, then bombard James with ideas on Christmas Eve...hey, that's a few weeks isn't it?? :ha:
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Seriously though, James is right - he ought to have some time to relax before we start planning next year. Can I suggest that you all begin to develop your ideas in private, to be able to present them when the time comes? That worked pretty well last year, I think.
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

You could even continue with builds for the 2011 display - we still have Huddersfield and possibly Cosford to go yet. If we have enough new ones then 2012 will be sorted -

Classic British Box Art 2 - The Sequel!! :ha:

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

beany wrote:You could even continue with builds for the 2011 display - we still have Huddersfield and possibly Cosford to go yet. If we have enough new ones then 2012 will be sorted -

Classic British Box Art 2 - The Sequel!! :ha:

Cheers
Al.

Then in line with all the sequels in the 'entertainment industry', the sequel will be worse than the original ....

So we should plan for that and do a "Worst Box Art" display .... :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

jRatz wrote:So we should plan for that and do a "Worst Box Art" display .... :grin:
Too easy - the Airfix late seventies blueprint "artwork".......... :mrgreen:
Paul

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

CBKs and Record Breakers and Firsts?

The 'Firsts' would be an attempt to include more than aircraft.

Regards,
Bruce, off to his corner to mumble a bit.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As you should be well aware next year is the Queen’s Golden Diamond Jubilee (for the pedantic foreigner I am of course referring to QE2). This seems to me an excellent opportunity to do something tied in with this event and even if you are a republican it’s as good an excuse as any other for a bit of flag waving, this is the Classic British Kits SIG don’t you know.

The original idea I think got mooted last year (http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 218#173218;) and it something I’ve mentioned to a few people when asked for an opinion on what we should do for SMW2012.

The premise is simple CBKs of Classic British Subjects (excuse pun) from the last 60 years. i.e. things that were in service or production and originated in Britain from 1952 to 2012. Lots of ideas too for the title name Best of British, 50 glorious years, Blighty's Best Kits and my favourite: "Made in Britain!".

As an idea I think this works because it is 1. a simple idea. 2. the constraints help give it focus and 3. the period ties nicely in with what the SIG is about. There are plenty of opportunities for boats, planes, cars, trains and figures.

Of course this will have to go to a vote along with any other ideas that come through.

Paul has kindly taken time to produce an initial list of kits that focus on iconic or subjects that demonstrate British innovation and design excellence. I’m sure we can add a few more to this, note for those of you who really want to build a Spitfire Paul has come up with the nifty idea of including the BBMF :grin:

Airfix
QEII
Concorde 1/144
SS Canberra
Beefeater
Lifeguard
Coldstream Guard
Mini
Jaguar E-Type
Centurion
Chieftain
HMS Victory as she is today
HMS Belfast as she is today
P.1127
Harrier 1/24
Red Arrows Hawk original kit
Navy Lynx original kit
1/32 Footballers old soft figures/WC '66 diorama
DH Comet
Canberra
Vulcan
Guards Band/Colour Party 1/72 figures
James Bond/Oddjob
SRN.1
Battle of Britain Flight pre-1987 kits/markings
Falklands Task Force Amazon, Fearless, etc.

Frog
Hunter
Lightning
one of the 1/24 cars?
Bristol Britannia
Fairey Delta II
HMS Vanguard
V Bombers
DH Comet

Matchbox
Victor
Sea Harrier 1/72
Red Arrows Gnat

Revell (GB)
Austin Healey
MGB

Kitmaster/Airfix trains?

A related idea is that we could go back to the Silver Jubilee of '77 and display any CBK that was released that year. We could lay the table with jelly and ice-cream too :-D
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Surely we can only go to 1987, with CBKs... and 1952-82 has much to recommend it!

bestest,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

No reason we can't do post-1987 markings, if we really want to - we just have to stick with pre-1987 kits, which is why I recommend pre-1987 BBMF kits for example, and exclude the new and impressive-when-made-nicely 1/72 Concorde. :grin: Perhaps the display title should state "since 1952."
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Some good points, Bruce.

With Euro-cooperation, I did include the Concorde as it is perceived as a British icon - I think BA did a much better job of playing it up than Air France. Tornado and Jaguar could arguably be included, particularly Jaguar as, again, the Brits did a better job of playing to its strengths. It is worth noting that both Jaguar and Concorde are derived from original French designs, though much changed from paper to metal of course. This doesn't alter the icon status of either type.

Cortina and Capri - original British designs, much loved and a good call Bruce.

Airliners - Viscount and VC-10 would both be good additions. Rotodyne was a great British invention, though ultimately unsuccessful. You could argue the technical limitations would have limited its potential even if it had gone ahead. Not sure about the others, as although they all had some export success, I'm not sure you could class them as world-beaters or icons. Maybe the Matchbox HS125 in civvie colours.

Trains - I'm no expert. I'd have to bow to someone such as Beany for their knowledge.

Let's not get bogged down in details at the moment though - plenty of time for that later IF this is chosen as the display theme. We've presented a representative list and we can hash out details later if necesary. The main thing is that they be instantly recognisable as British, innovative and iconic to a majority of people. We could make arguments for including most of the Airfix back catalogue, for example, but it has to be pretty obviously fulfilling the requirements, as far as I'm concerned. I think if we can agree on 30 - 40 subjects, we can make a good display.
Paul

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The Queen's Golden Jubilee was in 2002...or are you thinking about her Golden Wedding Anniversary, (1997)?

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”