Telford 2012 Display Suggestions

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Telford 2012

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

MerlinJones wrote:So...British landmarks, during the reign of HRH.
For each landmark, a year.
For each year, a "New!" CBK, with other contemporary items, to place the kit into some context.

So 1982 (Falklands) would have a "New!" Matchbox Sea Harrier kit, a World Cup, (Footballers), Prince William is born, (Lionheart figure).

I like it :) with the Swordfish !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

beany wrote:Excellent list James - I'm thinking of several diorama possibilities already (current HMS Victory in dry dock at Pompey with a queue of punters waiting for the tour -I can probably prise the little people off of this years SR-N4 box art baseboard to save myself a couple of quid! :ha: ).

Just one glaring omission of a British Classic (to keep the resident Greasers happy)

Cheers
Al.
If you're going to add motorbikes then they don't get any more classic than the Matchbox Vincent Black Shadow
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Brews wrote:Or my personal favourite - Barry Sheene :)
Now that's a great idea - model the kit as one of his famous victories.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Original Matchbox 1/12th Barry Sheene (I don't think the Revell re-pop comes with the figure included does it?) - I have another of two of these in the stash so I reckon I could modify one to to mimic the "friendly" gesture by Bazza in the video Brews posted the link for!

Airfix 1/8th CB 750 Four: I have another of these also, but the second one will be finished in metallic blue.

If I'm perfectly honest, I'm not blown away by any of the ideas posted so far, but I'm stuffed if I can think of anything better myself. I know several members were put off by the diorama element this year, but many of the suggestion made so far by their nature would have to include some "scenery" at least, so maybe we could pursue the joint effort idea tossed around at the beginning of this year. I'd be more than happy to provide a base and backdrop for one or more builds if some SIG members don't fancy that side of it, rather than have them feel they can't contribute at all.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

beany wrote:If I'm perfectly honest, I'm not blown away by any of the ideas posted so far, but I'm stuffed if I can think of anything better myself. I know several members were put off by the diorama element this year, but many of the suggestion made so far by their nature would have to include some "scenery" at least, so maybe we could pursue the joint effort idea tossed around at the beginning of this year. I'd be more than happy to provide a base and backdrop for one or more builds if some SIG members don't fancy that side of it, rather than have them feel they can't contribute at all.

Cheers
Al.
It may be that the Jubilee theme just doesn't gel that well with the modelling world, or the CBK theme...just because it is a Jubilee year doesn't mean that that HAS to be the theme for SMW 12. IMHO the options so far would need a lot of explanation to a non-forum observer to whom the display might just be a group of vaguely-British themed models unlike the stunning (and totally self-explanatory) visual appearance of this year's display...IMHO, the 3D box-art theme was so well-received (and did I mention visually-spectacular?) that it is worth milking doing for another year...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The Jubilee was just a useful spin to put on Viking's original proposal of "Best of British" and means we could have bunting, lots of bunting around the display :mrgreen: The original idea is still a good one.

I noted at Telford the IPMS Brampton had a Best of British display but this mainly involved a lot of aircraft.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JamesPerrin wrote:I noted at Telford the IPMS Brampton had a Best of British display but this mainly involved a lot of aircraft.
..and it should ALSO be noted that my original list of potentials is only 50% aircraft - plenty of scope for the less-popular genres to get a look in!
:grin:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

My point exactly. ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Okay...I'll lob a pebble in the pond and see what happens...

An A-Z of CBK's

This could become an A-Z of Modelling, but I see 26 different models as the backbone of the display.

An airbrushed Austin...
A black British bike...
A collection of Concordes...etc..

Regards,
Bruce
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

OK, I was only kidding when I posted this previously, but now I think I'll propose it for serious consideration:

Classic British Box Art Too... (geddit?!)

I had a look in the archived section to see which suggestions didn't see the light of day and have a sample list here (all Airfix, but I'd definitely look at Frog and Matchbox catalogues again, and search for the genuine Revell CBKs e.g. the 1/32 Beaufighter)

Hercules and Bloodhound
RAF Refuelling Set
RAF Emergency Set (have you got any foam left Matt?)
Vosper MTB

Defender (Philippine Navy - flying over a Junk etc.)
Bristol 192 (troops dropping into long grass etc - could be just like a scene from Apocalypse Now or somesuch)
B29 Superfortress (with a Minicraft/Diecast 1/144 behind it, mounted in front of a vertical sky-scape - very 3D, very eyecatching)

The Dog-Fight-Doubles - Matt's MiG15/Mirage III was so popular with the punters - Me109/Beaufighter over water; Cessna/MiG21; Hurricane/Ju.88; Mossie/Me262, or even Fw190/Stormovik

The Old Bill Bus (street scene)
Dennis Fire Engine (against a dramatic night-time fire scene/ burning building - pass the foam again please Matt)
OO/HO Engine Shed - heavily weathered shed, tank engine, workmen, track, ballast, ash, etc (muck and filth everywhere Mr.Warwick)

Matilda Tank - nice, small but dramatic and colourful desert diorama
Bofors 40mm Gun and Tractor - suspending realistic scale flak bursts will be a real challenge

B17 A Bit O' Lace - totally iconic, would HAVE to be included
Bristol Superfreighter - loading/unloading - a not dissimilar scene to my SR-N4 Hovercraft with disembarking cars and passengers for example
Westland Scount flying over a Chieftan Tank (or is it a Centurion) - whichever, it would look really cool!

The Bengal Lancer, a proud warrior astride his noble steed - nice rocky base against a mountainous backdrop painting
54mm British 95th Riflemen - like the blister pack art - several of these fellas advancing/charging in different poses

Refresh your memories of the box artwork here: http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 32&start=0;

I hope that may have whetted some appetites. We have more than enough time to get some collaborative efforts going here for those uneasy with the bases, backdrops etc. and would rather just build the kits, or vice versa.

It is just a suggestion lads, and I got excited just making the list up, but if you think we've already done it to death then fair do's, I'll wind me neck in and support whichever theme is chosen with equal aplomb!
Cheers
Al
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Would it be OK to use Airfix Bloodhounds to recreate the box-art from the FROG Bloodhound, the original FROG kit being a tad hard-to-find?
I would be quite keen to have a crack at this so long as I could keep it to a size that kept postage at acceptable levels...or maybe some one UK-side might have a crack at it...

Having not only seen this year's display in the flesh but also heard many of the comments about it, I really think that this is the way to go for SMW 12...

If not, then my vote would go for MJ's CBK A-Z...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Gobs of Gladiators ...
Hundreds of Hurricanes ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

A black British bike...? A little vague perhaps - might need to reserve vagarity for the XYZ end of the alphabet...for bikes:

A is for Ariel
B is for BSA
E is for Enfield
N is for Norton
T is for Triumph

Although not sure how many you might find as CBKs...
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

SJPONeill wrote:A black British bike...? A little vague perhaps - might need to reserve vagarity for the XYZ end of the alphabet...for bikes:

A is for Ariel
B is for BSA
E is for Enfield
N is for Norton
T is for Triumph

Although not sure how many you might find as CBKs...
M is for Matchless
S is for Sunbeam
V is for Vincent
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Pah! You're not trying...

Skeleton (X-Ray!)
X-15 (Revell GB?)
Xacto Knife
Yacht
Yak 9D
Zero
Zerstorer
Zipkicker

...Tho' I'll concede the X-15 shouldn't be there. (Or should it?)

Anyway, I wasn't really thinking of 'black, British bike' as an option. 'Twas just a prompt to get thinking caps on.

There's a struggle for O, beyond the Airfix Owl and Opel Blitz and U is saved only be the U-2 and US Infantry and Marines, multipose...all Airfix again. My initial list only looked at the Big Three, so there's more scope elsewhere.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”