Telford 2012 Display Suggestions

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Telford 2012

Post by Viking »

beany wrote:OK, I was only kidding when I posted this previously, but now I think I'll propose it for serious consideration:

Classic British Box Art Too... (geddit?!)

I had a look in the archived section to see which suggestions didn't see the light of day and have a sample list here (all Airfix, but I'd definitely look at Frog and Matchbox catalogues again, and search for the genuine Revell CBKs e.g. the 1/32 Beaufighter)

Hercules and Bloodhound
RAF Refuelling Set
RAF Emergency Set (have you got any foam left Matt?)
Vosper MTB

Defender (Philippine Navy - flying over a Junk etc.)
Bristol 192 (troops dropping into long grass etc - could be just like a scene from Apocalypse Now or somesuch)
B29 Superfortress (with a Minicraft/Diecast 1/144 behind it, mounted in front of a vertical sky-scape - very 3D, very eyecatching)

The Dog-Fight-Doubles - Matt's MiG15/Mirage III was so popular with the punters - Me109/Beaufighter over water; Cessna/MiG21; Hurricane/Ju.88; Mossie/Me262, or even Fw190/Stormovik

The Old Bill Bus (street scene)
Dennis Fire Engine (against a dramatic night-time fire scene/ burning building - pass the foam again please Matt)
OO/HO Engine Shed - heavily weathered shed, tank engine, workmen, track, ballast, ash, etc (muck and filth everywhere Mr.Warwick)

Matilda Tank - nice, small but dramatic and colourful desert diorama
Bofors 40mm Gun and Tractor - suspending realistic scale flak bursts will be a real challenge

B17 A Bit O' Lace - totally iconic, would HAVE to be included
Bristol Superfreighter - loading/unloading - a not dissimilar scene to my SR-N4 Hovercraft with disembarking cars and passengers for example
Westland Scount flying over a Chieftan Tank (or is it a Centurion) - whichever, it would look really cool!

The Bengal Lancer, a proud warrior astride his noble steed - nice rocky base against a mountainous backdrop painting
54mm British 95th Riflemen - like the blister pack art - several of these fellas advancing/charging in different poses

Refresh your memories of the box artwork here: http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 32&start=0;

I hope that may have whetted some appetites. We have more than enough time to get some collaborative efforts going here for those uneasy with the bases, backdrops etc. and would rather just build the kits, or vice versa.

It is just a suggestion lads, and I got excited just making the list up, but if you think we've already done it to death then fair do's, I'll wind me neck in and support whichever theme is chosen with equal aplomb!
Cheers
Al
I'm with Al on this one. Even though we have always done a different display each year, i think the reception we got this year was just so spectacular that its definatly worth considering a rev 2 display for 2012. In some ways, the displays we showed this year could be regarded as "proof of concept" and next year we could do the harder and more spectacular displays ? All of Al's options listed above would be good, i would add the Airfix Ju52 and HMS Shannon plus the scots greys. if we start early we all still have excitement from this years display to give a kick start ?

Alan
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Second Alan's thoughts. I also like Al's idea -- and it would not be a "repeat" of this year because a significant number of the suggested subjects are non-aircraft -- that provides sufficient difference to the display and shows that we are not (in theory) just about airplanes ...

Then we could retire the display and do something different in 2013 for the IPMS/UK 50th ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

jRatz wrote: Then we could retire the display and do something different in 2013 for the IPMS/UK 50th ...
I totally agree with that John, only one more year left in the box art idea I think, but also bare in mind we have already been asked by Airfix to supply some of the 2011 display for use in their Exhibition Centre in Margate (to be collected by them after 2012 SMW), so I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for a few more to replace those once they see our second CBK box art display (if it gets chosen by the SIG members of course).

The list I put up was compiled from suggestions by members for the 2011 display and is by no means definitive, so please add any others you can think of, especially any non-airfix items. I forgot to add my own current favourite idea of the 1/24 Ju.87 Stuka in nose dive pose!
SJPONeill wrote: Would it be OK to use Airfix Bloodhounds to recreate the box-art from the FROG Bloodhound, the original FROG kit being a tad hard-to-find?
I don't see why we couldn't reproduce the FROG box art with Airfix Bloodhounds = kill two birds with one stone. It would look very dramatic, especially the one lifting off, and the 1/72 people would not be hard to find to populate the scene.

Finally, I'd also be keen to take it to two or three more shows in the 2013 season to try and drum up new CBK membership candidates (as I will with the 2011 display to Cosford if I can) - Huddersfield obviously, then maybe Cosford, Hendon and Farnborough say, or similar larger shows.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ollieholmes
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by ollieholmes »

The ideas floated so far dont realy take my fancy but my suggestion would be a tribute to all (or as many as is possible) CBK manufacturers. Maybe this would be more fitting in 2013 with the 50th Anniversary of the IPMS.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Chaps,

Just a quick post to say I'm following discussions with interest.

I kept out of 2011 input because I don't have the time, ability or correct tools to build backgrounds for my models. Having said that, given the excellent reaction that the display had this year, I think there probably is another year in it for those who do.

Furthermore the "Best of British" theme doesn't really float my boat; in SAMI this month there was a picture of a table with this theme at SMW although admittedly with just aircraft on it, so it doesn't appear that original.

I apologise if the above isn't that constructive. I will try to think of some more useful ideas before I post again.

regards,

Martin
beany

Post by beany »

Martin R wrote:
I kept out of 2011 input because I don't have the time, ability or correct tools to build backgrounds for my models.
Hi Martin - I hear what you are saying time wise, something we all suffer from now and again. No excuse for the other two I'm afraid - especially as a poster on a modelling forum like this - that already implies you have good levels of creativity and a willingness to learn. However, like you, some people said the same thing which put them off contributing to last years display, so this year, should this be the chosen theme, I will be posting some very detailed pictorial tutorials regarding producing backdrops and diorama bases etc. for those who might be interested.

The thing is, things like backdrops are ridiculously easy - many of mine only take 15 mins to half an hour to produce - usually using kiddies paints on offcuts of MDF or stiff card or even chipboard - i.e. scraps. If you don't like your first effort, you paint over the whole lot with a primer colour, white, grey or whatever, and just have another go. Most backdrops for flying aircraft are blurry anyway to indicate the motion of the subject, so you can get away with murder - blurry clouds over blurry terrain.

Dioramas - I am a real Scrooge so use as many household items as possible - scraps of baseboard again - never be too proud to ask people for stuff from their skip should the opportunity arise - chipboard from scrapped kitchen units etc. is a godsend for pikeys such as myself. Pollyfilla or such like can be used for terrain - paper mache for more ambitious topography, clear (bathroom) silicone sealant for water, and maybe a trip to a model railway shop (or even a post in the Wanted section) for scenic material, lichen, trees and bushes, grass from rolls of ready made matting etc.

I'm sure the other contributors to last years display will share their secrets as well. Believe me when I say that the vast majority of comments received at the table at Telford we to praise the originality of the idea and the execution of it - not criticism or even comments about the actual modelling techniques employed. Please do give serious thought to having a go at your favourite piece of Classic British Box Art as a personal project, even if not for SMW2012, as I am sure you'll find it extremely rewarding. I'll be happy to answer any queries you have or will pester other forum members who I think can help you better than myself!

Cheers
Al.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Martin,
If I can learn it, any one can. I've not done such before, had no confidence, am not very creative or artistic, got off on a tangent, took suggestions from here, and more or less managed to salvage the thing. I even got the courage to try it again for the PH GB.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I will set up a poll this weekend to get things moving.

In the meanwhile I welcome any more ideas, new or variations on previous suggestions, as well as further comments.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Given the enthusiasm expressed for a repeat of the Box Art display, I doubt any more ideas would be seriously entertained. ;-)

That said;

CBK Record Breakers and Firsts...should be able to cover many genre, although work would be required to avoid aircraft domination. First's could be the likes of the FROG Trailblazers, or more subtle stuff, like WWII: First Blood and Hampdens or whatever it was.

An A-Z of CBK's...26 areas, one for each letter of our alphabet, with CBK/modelling-related items within each. This would allow all genres to be represented, alongside, if we got desperate, useful tools and materials.

British landmarks, during the reign of HRH...For each landmark, a year.
For each year, a "New!" CBK, with other contemporary items, to place the kit into some context.
So 1982 (Falklands) could have a "New!" Matchbox Sea Harrier kit, a World Cup, (Footballers), Prince William is born, (Lionheart figure).[/quote]

Regards,
Bruce
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

MerlinJones wrote:
British landmarks, during the reign of HRH...For each landmark, a year.
For each year, a "New!" CBK, with other contemporary items, to place the kit into some context.
So 1982 (Falklands) could have a "New!" Matchbox Sea Harrier kit, a World Cup, (Footballers), Prince William is born, (Lionheart figure).

please; nothing too sickeningly royal based; some of us are good scots :ha: :grin:
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

She's queen of Scotland, too.

In fact, I seem to recall some Scottish king coming down and taking our throne at some point... :)
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
beany

Post by beany »

Viking wrote:
please; nothing too sickeningly royal based; some of us are good scots :ha: :grin:

Alan(Viking) = beautiful British name, meaning of course, 'subject of the English...' :twisted:

The four types of Scotsmen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkDYo-78rqA;

I may have to come up to the Scottish Nats this year and be your slave for the day to repent for that one!
Cheers
Al.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

You could almost do the skyline as 2D cut-outs - might have to convert some Zulus into the bathers...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
beany

Post by beany »

Brews wrote: I was hoping that there would be model railway figures to suit the bathers.
I think your best bet would be from the Preiser range, although being European they tend to be for HO Gauge 1:87 rather than the UK's OO Gauge of 1:76, but I've used 1:87 figures and they look fine.

If you really want to generate interest you could go for these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preiser-10107-N ... 02&sr=1-54; :shock:

or even

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GAUGEMASTER-CON ... 950&sr=1-1; :shock: :shock: :shock:

I haven't checked Amazon.com (which will obviously be more local to your side of the pond) but if you want any of their range but have any trouble sourcing them let me know and I'll get them here and mail them over to you Bruce.

Cheers
Al.
MerlinJones

Re: Telford 2012 Display Suggestions

Post by MerlinJones »

Has the 'classic' boxart gone by the wayside now and we're looking at any boxart that could be reproduced?
Slippery slope, methinks.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”