Box Art 2: Sign Up & Chat

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Box Art 2: Sign Up & Chat

Post by JamesPerrin »

Let us know what you are going to build once you've decided. We'll maintain a list in this post of who's doing what.

Airfix 1/72 Hercules and Bloodhound - Bromo
Airfix 1/72 B-17G "A Bit o' Lace" + 1:144 Fw 190 + 1:350 B-17G - Brews On hold?
Airfix 1/76 75mm Assault Gun (StuG IIIG) - Brews On hold?
Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi Dinah - James Perrin
Airfix 1/72 Mosquito/Me262 Dogfight Double - Martin R & Paul Bradley
Airfix 1/72 Sunderland - Beany
Airfix 1/144 Saturn V - Beany
Airfix 1/24 Stuka - Beany
Airfix 1/72 Ju 88 - TomW
Airfix 54mm 95th Rifleman - jRatz
Airfix 1/600 HMS Ajax - jRatz
Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury - OllieHolmes
Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister - OllieHolmes
Revell 1/72 Martin B-26 Marauder - MattBacon
Airfix Great Western - English Electric & Steam

Not yet started
Underway
Complete

Updated 30 Oct
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Re: Box Art 2: Sign Up & Chat

Post by MerlinJones »

Am I right in assuming that those models built for last years display, are to be considered as lost and broken, to end up in a skip outside of the Hornby Visitor Centre?
This would be a shame, as some of last years exhibits were really good and would merit a second outing, (although I note the "All new builds" on the poster.

Regards,
Bruce
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

They shouldn't end up in a skip should they :shock: As Bruce said there was some fantastic builds last year and surely they could be used again.Just my humble opinion.
BEEN A WHILE
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Most of last years models are with me and will appear at Hudds and then go off with Beany for a day out in Cosford. Airfix wanted to pic them up from SMW2012, I for one would hope that the any models loaned to Airfix are returned safe and sound.

For SMW2012 I definitely think we should aim for all new builds though, and not rest on our laurels.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Brews wrote:Also, I'd like someone to come up with an idea on how to represent bombs being dropped. My thought at the moment is a strip of acetate, onto which the bombs can be stuck. It won't do to have them on thin thread, as they'll wobble around all over the place. Maybe two threads will work, though ...
Perhaps a string of bombs, threads onto lycra thread, would be okay. Any 'wobble' would simly add to that extra dynamism James was referring to?

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Brews wrote:I have an idea, but it requires someone confirming that the Revell 1:32 Bf 109F/G was a GB tooling......
Do not believe that it is, see http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=209;
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MerlinJones wrote:
Brews wrote:Also, I'd like someone to come up with an idea on how to represent bombs being dropped. My thought at the moment is a strip of acetate, onto which the bombs can be stuck. It won't do to have them on thin thread, as they'll wobble around all over the place. Maybe two threads will work, though ...
Perhaps a string of bombs, threads onto lycra thread, would be okay. Any 'wobble' would simly add to that extra dynamism James was referring to?

Regards,
Bruce
I'd put them on two very thin wires, rather than thread. The wires will keep some control over the wobble caused by people moving about, viewing, bumping table, HVAC/door drafts, etc ...
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I thought we said last year that it was the Classic Britishness of the box art itself that was the important bit, and that it may be necessary to employ the odd 'ringer' here and there to pull off the overall diorama effect. Personally I'd love to see that 1:32 Gustav. I've just ordered a 1:200 diecast FW.200 condor to mount below the Airfix Sunderland - not necessarily for Telford if someone else wants a go at that one, but it is diorama I've wanted to do for years now.

Regarding suspending your bombs (which I will also need to do for the Stuka), Deanflyer did that excellent exploded view Lightning (now on display at the Hornby Exhibition Centre) that basically was all of the kit parts literally connected together with "lines" - I wonder what he used for that - a thin gauge but rigid wire I'd imagine. I'll have a look on L&C and Britmodeller, or might even PM him to find out what he used.

cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Brews wrote:
jRatz wrote:
Brews wrote:I have an idea, but it requires someone confirming that the Revell 1:32 Bf 109F/G was a GB tooling......
Do not believe that it is, see http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=209;
I looked there last night, and was a bit confused with that very first entry. I guess you're saying that the GBness of that BoB set was that it was only issued by Revell (GB), but the individual kits were tooled in the US.

Back to plan A (using the old-tool G-6), then. Pity. The 1:32 Gustav, for all its faults, would have looked better.
That is my interpretation, yes.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Just to clarify... my view is that we are trying to recreate, as Beany says, Classic British Box Art. Their are many Classic British Kits which also have Classic Box Art (and there are many CBKs in Boxes whose Art is very far from Classic). However, I'm thinking of recreating, for example, Brian Knight's outstanding painting for the Revell GB release of the B-26 Marauder:

It has a Revell US kit inside, but I don't think that matters in the quest to recreate Classic British Box Art. The criteria should be an outstanding painting that was available on a box from a CB maker in a UK model shop in our time frame, right...?

bestest,
M.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm sensing a potential difficulty in finding subjects, as described by Matt.
I'm wondering of the potential for emphasising the classic boxart, by placing a small selection of box tops from the Palitoy years...AND something contemporary.

Whilst our focus will always be CBK's, this includes those kits recently re-issued, including those with some new and, frankly, outstanding pieces of boxart. Plus, the CBK has always had the ability to promote a newly tooled item into a Classic. I'm not suggesting we need to do this, but I feel that demonstrating a connection between what we consider classic boxart and the new boxart, would emphasise that we believe that Airfix is back on track. We could also counter any ideas that we are stuck in the past and examples of the Palitoy years would also exaggerate the link between those classic times and today.

Do this properly and we could attract some interest from the artist responsible for those great, modern images.

Just a thought or two.

Regards,
Bruce
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Chaps,

Apologies for cutting across the current chat topic, but just to reiterate that although I'm a bit leery of dioramae / backgrounds, etc., I'd be happy to build kits as part of a collaboration. I'd prefer to keep it within my current stash if possible (due to wife issues) which is mostly WWII but I'm sure I can sort something out if not.

I have Airfix B-17G, Stirling, P-61, Skyraider and Sunderland in the stash as a starter for 10 but they may already be spoken for by others.

Or is anybody interested in collaborating on a Beaufighter / 109G or Mossie / Me262 dogfight double or old Airfix FW190D-9 scene (where a bomb toting D-9 with factory codes is in trouble with a gaggle of Spit IXs)?

regards,

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Martin, if you do the models and mounts, I can provide a background with Photoshop - the Mossie/262 dogfight double is an interesting one.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

PaulBradley wrote:Martin, if you do the models and mounts, I can provide a background with Photoshop - the Mossie/262 dogfight double is an interesting one.
Paul,

You got a deal! I'll PM you with some thoughts.

regards,

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

OK!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”