Box Art 2: Sign Up & Chat

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

bromo
On a long, long journey

Re: Box Art 2: Sign Up & Chat

Post by bromo »

I like your thinking Bruce,connecting the past and the present.
BEEN A WHILE
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

MerlinJones wrote: Whilst our focus will always be CBK's, this includes those kits recently re-issued, including those with some new and, frankly, outstanding pieces of boxart. Plus, the CBK has always had the ability to promote a newly tooled item into a Classic. I'm not suggesting we need to do this, but I feel that demonstrating a connection between what we consider classic boxart and the new boxart, would emphasise that we believe that Airfix is back on track. We could also counter any ideas that we are stuck in the past and examples of the Palitoy years would also exaggerate the link between those classic times and today.

Do this properly and we could attract some interest from the artist responsible for those great, modern images.
Yeah, I totally agree with this Bruce. In fact last year at Telford, we laid one of the new Airfix Calenders open to the page with the "new" Adam Tooby take on the old G for George artwork next to the same diorama and there were certainly fingers being waved at both by interested punters who were clearly seeing the connection, and I couldn't help thinking then having already looked through the rest of the calender that some of the newer artwork was begging to be made "3D" as well!

Personally I don't think we'll struggle to fill the table (I have a list of at least 20 odd "classics" that I'd love to do myself, but obviously hope other people will have a go at them), but I also believe strongly we should go for the new this time for the very reasons you've have stated.

cheers
Al.

P.S. Adam should be reasonably easy to reach if we feel so inclined: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... opic=74668;
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As some of you may know I picked to do the Mitsubishi Dinah sometime ago but failed to find one even at Cosford model show. However TimJ did find one there, and now it is all mine (cheers Tim). I will be doing the original leaping tiger box art showing the Dinah escaping from a Corsair straffed airfield. The example I now have has this box art which is a real boon, there have been at least a couple of alternatives since. This really stood out for me when I got Roy Cross' other Airfix Box Art book for Christmas. It's got explosions and plenty of drama to keep me busy. I'll set up a build thread shortly once I've cleared some space on the bench.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good, that should be a good one in your hands.

Is it about time to set up a master list of who is doing what so we know we are covered ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

jRatz wrote:Is it about time to set up a master list of who is doing what so we know we are covered ?
See first post.... erm I think I need to update that :oops:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well Done ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thought it were about time I opened my Box Art account with the Airfix Mitsubishi Dinah http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=3905;
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Brews wrote:Also, I'd like someone to come up with an idea on how to represent bombs being dropped. My thought at the moment is a strip of acetate, onto which the bombs can be stuck. It won't do to have them on thin thread, as they'll wobble around all over the place. Maybe two threads will work, though ...
I am building (in very slow time, of course) a B-1B in flight unloading a full load of Mk.82s. I experimented with lots of wires and threads etc but the wobble factor just looked like bombs on a string...I'm going to use three clear rods (one for each bomb-bay) on which to attach each bomb using smaller clear rods so that they are rigidly in place...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
English Electric
Getting well comfy!

Post by English Electric »

Would it be possible for myself and English Steam (the father) to produce an Airfix Great Western ship box art... not desperately busy though, but I think would look nice if done well. I haven't got masses of time to produce something complex, simple would be good... does that sound reasonable?

Chris
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

English Electric wrote:Would it be possible for myself and English Steam (the father) to produce an Airfix Great Western ship box art... not desperately busy though, but I think would look nice if done well. I haven't got masses of time to produce something complex, simple would be good... does that sound reasonable?

I had to go and look this up and the Box Art is rather good, if you don't confuse it with the Series I version! I say go for it Chris. The other little ships and spit of land in the background will set it off nicely.

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”