Airfix 1/72 Sunderland + Altaya diecast 1/144 Fw.200 Condor

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Airfix 1/72 Sunderland + Altaya diecast 1/144 Fw.200 Condor

Post by beany »

After discussing it at Telford last year Iain kindly let me have an Airfix Sunderland which arrived last week, and I'm now just awaiting a diecast 1/144 Fw.200 Condor which I've won with an eBay auction bid of £4.60 (the Buy It Now prices were all over £12.00) so that I can begin work on this one:

I'll probably do either an angled or straight on upright mounted baseboard with the bathroom sealant method for the water. Only the two planes will be models, everything else will be painted, although I may try cotton wool sprayed with acrylics for the smoke effects of the burning ship - not sure yet.
The flames on the Condor will be sweet wrappers again, although I won't be able to eat the donors this time as I've become a dieting Ninja these days!

I'm quite looking forward to weathering the Sunderland as per the box art with dry brushing and the use of chalk pastels like I used on the Lancaster in my G-for-George diorama last year and the pastels in particular give immediate results and are equally easily washed off if you don't get the result you were after.

Progress pictures coming soon.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Airfix 1/72 Sunderland + Altaya diecast 1/144 Fw.200 Con

Post by JamesPerrin »

Way to go Al!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany

Post by beany »

The Fw.200c Condor has arrived, but unfortunately as can be seen it is missing the front turret. I have contacted the seller who has looked but couldn't find it and offered a refund, but I will keep the plane and fashion a turret out of something suitable and clear.

One of the prop blades also fell off as soon as I removed the plane from its box, but I will be cutting all of the blades off anyway fortunately in order to fit prop blur acetates instead.

Now to crack on with the Sunderland itself.

Cheers
Al.
beany

Post by beany »

I made a start on this one over the weekend - delighted to discover that the die-cast Fw.200 top turret wasn't missing after all but had in fact got pushed right up inside the body of the aircraft. After much probing and wiggling I got it out and super-glued it in place and re-attached the cockpit canopy just to keep Brews happy - it does look a little better now it has been re-seated.

I didn't fancy cutting up the Sunderland instructions for the printed instrument panel so drilled a few holes for the dials and will try to achieve a similar result with painting for switches and so on.

Out with the faithful old Aztek airbrush to spray the interior bits with my own mixture of cockpit green - it was a shade of Tamiya bright green that I never used so I bunged a load of white in it and was quite pleased with the results - so much so that it is nearly all used up now so I'll have to mix up some more.
And the thing I love most about Tamiya acrylics is 3 mins in the Ultrasonic cleaner and everything is ready to go again. I have car screen wash in it which is why the water looks bluish.

Prop blurs for the Fw.200 next and a quick posed picture to start to get a feel for the box art depiction...

Pound shop wooden skewers have many uses on my bench - attach things with Blue Tack for spraying being the main one.

Also here, super-glue a tapered one to the Fw.200 ready for flame effects and cotton wool smoke attachment.

Really enjoying this one so far - not making great strides for technical accuracy as far as the aircraft are concerned but more interested with matching the box art as best as I can.

Cheers
Al.
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Al, the Sunderland box art is in my top three Airfix box art, the others being the lanc, and the B-29.

Great work so far Al, the blurs look great and the stick is a neat idea.

Cheers
Jim
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looks like you ready to bring out another box of Quality Street Al. A great start there.
beany

Post by beany »

This is nowhere near finished as I didn't expect to be taking it to Telford, but will have to do for now (I only started the background painting 2 hours ago - it is still a bit tacky). Haven't worked out how to get it to stand up on its own yet - it is propped against the Saturn V base for the photos - which a blurred because I took them very quickly & still have two more dioramas to complete yet. I ain't getting much sleep tonight, that's for sure.

Cheers
Al.
ollieholmes
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by ollieholmes »

Looking very nice. Only problem i see is how will we support it on the table?
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

You all stand around it in a circle, clap and cheer.
I'm guessing it's a little too late to organise cheerleaders, although, seeing Al's sterling work, I wouldn't put it past him...

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Only Al would dare try and pull it off at the last minute, Bravo!!

Return to “SMW 2012 - Classic Box Art II”