Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi Dinah **FINISHED**

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2012 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi Dinah

Post by splash »

:wanw
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Brilliant. I hope my little'uns turn out half as good!

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Well here's the big 'un finally done.

The decals went on fine. I just used micro sol/set this time. The rising sun's needed the film trimming as it was off centre and therefore quite wide around one side. Also there is still a bit of a yellow tinge that show up in the tigers but other wise the decals behaved nicely. I didn't use the white fuselage band as this is not shown in the box art, but did add the red strip in front of the tail wheel from the spares box.

It got a light coat of Xtracrylix Matt varnish before I spent 10mins removing the zillions bit of masking for the glazing. The frames were very thin and lightly defined so I'm pleased with the results. The previously removed flaps were then added as per box art.

Some short length of plastic tube were pushed into the holes I'd made for the engine exhausts and then sawn to the correct size.

Spinners had engine starter(?) connections added, though they look more like guns, in their centres. Some JP Productions blurred props were added to finish off the look.

and from the box art viewpoint

Sorry, no time/space to get better pics.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Just lovely James.

Cheers
Jim
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

That looks absolutely gorgeous James - beautiful build mate. I was a bit worried about what the final colour would look like compared with the actual box art after some of the discussions going on, but you totally nailed it dude! Now just looking forward to seeing the background artwork and those superb little scratch-built fellas all in position.
Cracking stuff. ;-)

cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Here's a scan of the full artwork (less 5mm off the left edge as the book is too big for my scanner). So you can see there are several element that aren't apparent as they are obscured by the package design. I've been well aware of these and have plans for how to achieve all the elements.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Dinah-MITE ! That'll look so neat !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Nax

Post by Nax »

Looks terrific, looking forward to the finished product. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
did_nev
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by did_nev »

Looks really nice James. I like the tiny efforts you did. It will be a magnificent view if it's all pieced together!
2012 A:02 B:29 C:00

On the bench : Buccaneer // B-52D // 1/48 Lancaster
Coming up : Spitfire XIV (SKGB)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Made a start on my base. I've decided to go for curves this year.

A frame was made made of 5mm foam board. The pieces were glued together with woodglue - many as it was to hand and not as wet as some PVAs. The grid lines on your cutting board are really handy for keeping everything square. The horizontal braces were strategically placed to 1) attached the backdrop card too and 2) form the basis of the supports for the models.

I still had some nice thickish card left over from last year's builds. I put some curves in it in the appropriate places by drawing it over the edge of the table. It was then attached to the frame using double sided sticky tape on the horizontal braces and wood glue along the edges. The bits of tape are just holding the edges down while it dries.

While that set I've got on with the huts, the results of which I'll post next time ;-)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Bumper issue tonight!

First up, hut building and thatching. Some basic shapes were cut and sanded from balsa wood. A perspective tapering was used to give the illusion of depth. I then glue the roofs to an old cheap paint brush which had straw coloured bristles. When the glue had set I cut the huts out and trimmed their thatch, then repeated the process on the other side. Some bald spots needed touching up by hand later but I just wanted to give the impression of straw/reed roof so didn't get too obsessed. These got painted up when I did the back drop, see below.

Last year I used water colours to produce the washed out skies for my builds. This worked really well except that the card buckled a bit due to the moisture of the the washes. This year with a more complex backdrop I decided I needed I need more opaque paints that wouldn't transfer so much water onto the card. I managed to pick up some Gouache paints (thick opaque water colours) for 4 pounds including two free brushes from a stationary shop. I've not used these before so this was a bit of an experiment for me. Though I rarely paint I'm more familiar with using water colours from GCSE Art.

The ground when on well, but the sky needed a lot of work. Thankfully you can build up layers with this kind of paint (like oils and acrylics) so you can keep working until you get it right whereas with regular water colours you need to paint the final image from the start. Eventually it start to look right and I'm reasonable pleased with the result. The forest was much easier to accomplish, dark green base, add tree trunks and then stipple the leaves and looks the most effective.

Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Holly shmollies, I hope you "rarely paint" more often, don't sell yourself short, that is bloody lovely.

Great info on using gouche paints.

Cheers
Jim
Nax

Post by Nax »

First time I've looked in on this part of the forum, excellent work Mr Perrin, very inspiring stuff, can't wait to see the finished product. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

There is s lot of smoke in this scene and I quickly decided to go down the cotton wool route. I had no other ideas and looked very effective on Matt's Apollo splash down scene last year. My thoughts were on how to colour the cotton wool. I've tried using chalk pastel dust which despite begin messy has worked out pretty well.

Some sheets of cotton wool were pulled out to the require shapes and the liberally coated with black and brown dust which was patted into the wool. This was repeated until I got the colour density I was after. Some tweezers were used to tease out the cotton wool as it had got rather flattened in the process and I want to capture to billowing effect in the box art.

The 'smoke' was then sprayed with some cheap hairspray - I think I had this lying around for 'fixing' the pastels anyway.

Finally some wire armatures threaded into the wool and glued in position so that they stand up.

TomW

Post by TomW »

That looks great James, I cant wait to see this on the stand. Only 19 days to go now :shock:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10