Blitzbau X De-Brief

UAMF's signature event.
Runs February 1st through 29th.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Blitzbau X De-Brief

Post by jssel »

I think a few words are in order to celebrate one terrific Blitzbau.

Some final tallies for Blitzbau X:

A total of 14 builders completed 24 models. That in itself a very successful Group Build.

There were several multiple builds. Splash and Titan tied with five completions out of five starts. A record that will surely hold up for a while. Brews completed three and Flakmonkey with two. The rest of us "slackers" managed to do singles. Even Greg finished one. :ha:

Of course there was the Blitz House. What can we say about the Blitz House. O-T, Cosmic and Paul each completed their builds despite the efforts of the peanut gallery to keep them off course.

The Blitzbau has met and conquered the cutting edge of technology with what I will call Facebook meets Blitzbau. YouTube links and all.

This Blitz holds the record for most consecutive off topic comments to threads. Flakmonkey's Gazelle generated five pages before the build actually started.

One of the best Blitzbau's in the three years I have been around in regards to food and libation. We surely eat very well. And it proves that it is not just inactivity that puts the old parts catcher on our waistlines but more the food we eat while enjoying the hobby.

In closing, I want to thank everyone for participating. Following each thread was as much fun as doing my own.

Looking forward to August.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Blitzbau X De-Brief

Post by flakmonkey »

What Brews said. This has been a really good one, there has always been something going on. Everybody brought their A game along, but nobody forgot to have fun. That's what it should be all about. I would even consider the model as being a minor element in a blitz in many ways. Funny when you think that just a year ago there were mutterings concerning the death of Blitzbau, but this one has shown that such thoughts were premature.

Well done to everybody who took part, and a big thank you to Jeff for his genial hostingness.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Titan

Post by Titan »

This for me has got to be the best GB that I have taken part in terms of numbers participating and actually completing their endeavours.
Yes it definitely has been fun and I suppose that drove me into building five subjects this time around.
Also it's great to see that people do not take themselves seriously and like to have a laugh along the way.
The people who took part should all take credit for this particular blitz being such a success and thank you Jeff for being a great moderator.
Until august then.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

It's been a blast reading the posts in this Blitz. Kudos to all who finished their models and reading the funnies made it all the more entertaining. Well done everyone and here's looking forward to the next Blitzbau.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

As Flakmonkey said, last year there were concerns over the future of Blitzbau but this has been one of the best ever IMHO and some of the off topic banter has been hilarious. I always enjoy a Blitz as I find I don't have time to get distracted.

Maybe if I treated all my GBs as Blitzes I might get more finished on time. :grin:
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Well done Jeff for running the GB, It was one of the most enjoyable I have been involved in. Doing multiple blitz's is a great way to get your A:B ratios down in a rush.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find the challenge of the blitz to be relaxing, I often spend too long on a kit and stagnate over the minor detail, the blitz takes me back to my childhood when you bought the kit from Woolworth's on a Saturday morning and by Sunday it was finished and in combat around your mates house.

Long live the blitz that's what I say and roll on the next one.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Congrats, thanks, and well done to all -- an excellent Blitzbau !!!

I, for one, finally selected a good kit and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Good job, Jeff, and everyone.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Yes I agree with all that has been said, some great builds, a real window into other modellers lives - I was genuinely concerned about Flaks car in the hands of ViC in the snow!
Yet despite his car troubles his Gazelle was a triumph (no pun intended :ha: )

Titan & Splash generated more completions than I manage in a year! :frown:

I promise that the Blitzbau House will be better organised next time – I will plan the build, do a little research and not rely on HobbyBoss colour call outs. At least we managed to keep our clothes on (with the notable exception of Cosmic’s man-boob) – I think we can all be grateful for that. I will have to get a copy of the BlitzHouse poster from Jratz and get it blown up. Any chance of that John?

A nice variety of builds this time round – I think Jeff’s Scooter was my fave, the poems were marvellous too, thanks Jagewa.

Good to see a few vehicles for a change. Has anyone ever tried to Blitz a ship kit?

Roll on August. 8-)
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Old_Tonto wrote:.... I will have to get a copy of the BlitzHouse poster from Jratz and get it blown up. Any chance of that John?
:oops: , all I saved is the little image that I displayed and that probably won't blow up very well. Let me try to re-create a larger size one and get it to you.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is the first time I've witnessed a Blitz and what a revelation it was. Multiple builds and some really great finished models, unbelievable considering the time restraints. Kudos to all participants and well done the organisers. I have to admit my fave for laughs had to be the incomparable Flakmonkey and his whistling chicken leg. Something like five pages of chat before the build even began and then the baps thing had me in stitches.

All being well I might even have a go myself in August!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Brews wrote:
ShaunW wrote: the baps thing had me in stitches.
Beautiful stitches, though.
Oh my.......They know what causes that nowdays. :shock:

And I was negligent in not mentioning Jim's prose to each builder. PM sent with apologies.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Indeed, where would we be without the efforts of people like Jim and Shaun who regularly dropped in with their support. Just goes to show you don't even need to build anything to be involved. Special mention to Brews for his links of mass distraction.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Blitzbau X, Feb 2012”