Europe Models 1/32 Panhard 1891 -- *** Finished ***

Runs March 5th through April 15th.
GB Leader: JamesPerrin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Europe Models 1/32 Panhard 1891 -- *** Finished ***

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This, I guess, may be a CFK -- Classic French Kit -- it has no dates to show kit age.

I started their 1895 Panhard kit and got sidetracked; I really ought to get it back out. It was a pretty nice kit and I'm assuming the 1891 will be also.

The instructions are all in French -- Google Translate will be my friend.

Sprue shots later.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Europe Models 1/32 Panhard 1891

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'm intrigued as I've not heard of this manufacturer before. Was the '95 the one with alloy wheels and a spoiler :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

BTW, I will be unable to start this until the 13th or 14th due to travel -- visiting our only grandchild takes precedence.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here are the internals.

Parts are pretty nice. They came in three separate bags, none broken, none missing. Note the lack of glass or decals to worry about.

The instructions are all in French. They are a poorly Xeroxed copy, with some too faint to read, some skewed on the page and thus cut-off, and they were not in the proper sequence. None the less, they are pretty complete -- see in particular the two page listing of part numbers, their real-world nomenclature (a sigh for times long gone where young boys could learn something from their kit), and the colors for the parts. If this is like their 1895 kit, these are probably offered as options -- I don't know if this is because the cars came with different schemes or no one knows for sure or a combination of both.

I cannot start until after the 12th, but I will be taking the instructions with me to begin the translation.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, with all the real modeling activity, all I could do is translate my instructions which I more or less got done today. Well, except for the words blurred, faded, or off the page .... I'm sure it'll all make sense once I can really start ...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Has it started to make sense yet John?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yes & No. I have gotten a start; report & pix tomorrow.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

We're back from out trip and I have got started, but all is not well.

I did translate the instructions, as best that I and Google Translate could. I have no French so don't know how to handle idioms, abbreviations, etc -- so G-T was confused at times. Nonetheless, I got the gist of it.

The real problem, as I pinted out before is the Xeroxed instructions are difficult to read -- either faint, or off the page, etc. Adding to that is that the parts are hand-drawn and many times do not look like the equivalent plastic part -- either on the sprue-layout page or in the construction steps. Other problems is that some parts just aren't clearly shown as to location, orientation, etc.

I have been all over the internet and found very few useful pix of the 1891 car to help me.

The specific problems at this stage are the front and rear axle/wheel assemblies. I think I have the front figured out, but the rear is still a work in progress. I abandoned the specific instructions and started hopping around, building from the bottom up, those parts that I could confirm the identity and location of, then adding the next part later, and so on -- always looking ahead to see what I could resolve.

Anyway, the front end is almost done -- the biggest problem with it is that almost all the steps show the chassis upside down with parts being added. However, the front axle & steering gear is shown as a sub-assembly and is right side up -- that means I either had to turn it over & hold it above my head, or stand on my head to get the same perspective on everything.

The rear axle assembly is a whole other story. One would assume the axle would mount on the center of the leaf springs and that the brake assembly would run through one of two sets of holes. If the brakes ran through one set they conflicted with other structure parts. If they ran through the other set, then the shoes come nowhere near the wheels. I finally moved the axle back as far as I could, given the sprocket, so it would be closer to the shoes. I'll have to scratchbuild the rod the shoes attach to anyway as it isn't long enough. I'll also have to do whatever to get the shoes looking near right.

Problem is, there are a few other parts that I have no clue what to do with, because of all the instruction issues I already mentioned.

I'm not having as much fun as I thought I would. The kit is clunkier than their 1895 kit so my expectations took a hit right off the bat, now these problems.

Nonetheless, we will press on …
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Is this it?

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Splash, yes, thanks!, that's the 1891. I have that picture, unfortunately it isn't from the rear quarter. It does however illustrate how thick and clunky many of the model parts are ....

Today I figured out the last of the front end. Turned out the two mystery parts were really the same ones put on in a previous step.

And pretty much closed up the rear end. I made my own shaft for the brake shoes and figured out the adjusters and one other part. I'll leave the shoes and a linkage part for later as they must connect to the actuating lever later on. We'll see how test fit & fiddling goes.

So, here she is, up on her feet -- all four of which sit on the ground nicely.

I can now look toward painting the underside and the wheels and starting to assemble the "body". Going better now and I need to decide on the paint scheme.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Sounds like a bit of a jigsaw. Was the 1895 model too dissimilar to been of help? Looks like you've cracked it now though.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

JamesPerrin wrote:Sounds like a bit of a jigsaw. Was the 1895 model too dissimilar to been of help? Looks like you've cracked it now though.
Yes, both in the real vehicles and in the kit representations thereof.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here we are. The chassis is done, the body is started. The brake shoes are mounted as is the brake lever. Everything looks about right. That which I couldn't figure out exactly has been kludged.

I've washed the chassis and wheels and will start painting them tomorrow. The Chassis will be semi-gloss black with some details picked out. I'm still working on the colors for the rest of it. From period photos, it would appear it was all black maybe with red wheels and details. However I like this look, which is a later model Panhard.

I'm probably taking a bit of latitude here; call it the first custom car !!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I am working on the wheels and mudguards; here I have trwo different base coats of woodish color that I'll try to make better using some Vallejo wood acrylics and Tamiya Clear yellow and Orange. I have some experience at this from WW1 aircraft models.

I have a slight issue with the body; but you can't see it here. I sprayed some rattlecan green on it and there appears to be a reaction in those places which I had sanded -- very strange and I think it'll cost me a few days to recover from it.

But, before I forget, here's my FACTOID:
Rene Panhard was an engineer whose business, based in Paris, made woodworking tools and built engines under license. With his partner, Emile Levassor, he experimented with horseless carriages, using engines licensed from Daimler. In 1891, Panhard & Levassor placed the world’s first production car on the market, using a Daimler engine. This car was the first to have a front engine, flowed by a clutch and transmission, driving the rear wheels. It gave better balance and steering and is considered to be the birth of the modern car.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Do you think when the first guy did the custom paint job in green, in the back of his mind, do you think he was thinking "were do I get a V12 engine and some wide wheels"?

It's coming on great, I like the wooden wheels, they give it a good period look.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Wheels Go 'Round - the Auto GB”