Splash's Heller 1/43 Mini

Runs March 5th through April 15th.
GB Leader: JamesPerrin
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Splash's Heller 1/43 Mini

Post by splash »

I have had this kit in my stash longer than I care to remember, so it's time to build it.

You get decals for the 1965 Monte-Carlo winer AJB44B, but as any Mini fan will know, it should be early mini that had external door hinges and be right hand drive, plus a different grill, the good news is the grill will be covered in spot lights (not supplied) and all the other minor differences will not be noticed in this scale.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ian lanc
Active Participant

Re: Splash's Heller 1/43 Mini

Post by ian lanc »

Now that has 'cute' factor !
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

I loved my Minis to bits. One of the most entertaining cars ever made. I can see Minilite wheels on the box art. Mmmmm Minilites.
splash wrote:all the other minor differences
Very good, I see what you did there.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I remember when I was a 5 that my swimming instructor has a dark blue Mini with the Union (Jack) flag on the roof. Apart from Coopers this is how I believe all Minis should look, ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

flakmonkey wrote:I loved my Minis to bits. One of the most entertaining cars ever made. I can see Minilite wheels on the box art. Mmmmm Minilites.
splash wrote:all the other minor differences
Very good, I see what you did there.
Minilites on the box but not in the kit :cry: but on the bright side AJB44B raced in normal steel rims :)
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

splash wrote:Minilites on the box but not in the kit :cry: but on the bright side AJB44B raced in normal steel rims :)
Well isn't that a 'downer' i some times hate it when kit manufacturers use actual real pictures, unfare :???:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

1966: Future of Monte Carlo rally in doubt (Extract from the BBC website)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 506863.stm

The Monte Carlo rally has ended in uproar over the disqualification of the British cars expected to fill the first four places.

The first four to cross the finishing line were Timo Makinen (Finland) driving a British Motor Corporation Mini-Cooper, followed by Roger Clark (Ford Lotus Cortina), and Rauno Aaltonen and Paddy Hopkirk, both also driving BMC Minis.

But they were all ruled out of the prizes - with six other British cars for alleged infringements of complex regulations about the way their headlights dipped.

The official winner was announced as Pauli Toivonen, a Finn who lives in Paris, driving a Citroen.

BMC and Ford have lodged protests but even if they are upheld, the reputation of the rally has been severely dented.

After the race, a British official said: "This will be the end of the Monte Carlo rally. Britain is certain to withdraw."

The British cars were disqualified because they used non-dipping single filament quartz iodine bulbs in their headlamps, in place of the standard double filament dipping glass bulbs, which are fitted to the series production version of each model sold to the public.

According to new rules introduced at the end of last year, any car entering the rally must come off a standard production line, with at least 5,000 cars being built to a similar specification.

The British cars were equipped with standard headlamps - but the only way of dipping them was to switch to non-standard fog lamps.

Richard Shepherd, from the BMC, said: "There is nothing new about the lights at all. They have been used in our rallies, on rally cars, including the Monte for two years now and we've had no trouble at all in the past."

The confusion arose because the rally organisers initially said the race would be run under the old rules - and only announced the switch after entries had been accepted.

The BMC says it spent £10,000 on preparing for the Monte Carlo rally - and is now considering withdrawing from next year's race.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

33 EJB is the car that Paddy Hopkirk & Henry Liddon used to win the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally. Carrying the number 37 this 1071cc Mini Cooper S drove straight into the history books and is arguably the one of the most famous Minis ever made.

Here are some photos I took at the 2005 in the NEC.

and for those who don't know how a mini works

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That pic of the red mini with white roof reminds me of the one I owned, Reg no TTE525N. What an un-reliable pile of (insert colourful metaphore here) that car was. Still, it's good to see one being built here and I'm looking forward to seeing the build.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The kit has slight flash and is made of the hard type of plastic that shows all the fine detail. Being a Heller kit they have made it as a left hand drive car, as I'm building it as a rally car that's not a prIoblem as the dashboard needs scratch building anyway, if you look at the photos the dashboard is quite straightforward being flat with only a couple of gauges.

The main body is made up of only three parts and follow the construction of the real car.

To keep the cost of the car down, BMC made all the panel joins on the outside, hence the seams you can see up the front doors/windscreen pillars and on the rear windows/panels. I understand BMC did it this way to save on the cost of having to make jigs and to save space, 80% of the body is taken up by the passenger and lugage space.

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looks good Splash but from where I'm sitting the best part about the 1:1 is that wood grain steering wheel. The whole idea of the Mini is kinda cool but hands down its an ugly car. There's a reason James Bond never drove a Mini. :ha: :ha:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:Looks good Splash but from where I'm sitting the best part about the 1:1 is that wood grain steering wheel. The whole idea of the Mini is kinda cool but hands down its an ugly car. There's a reason James Bond never drove a Mini. :ha: :ha:
It was cool enough for Jason Bourne escaping from the French Police :ha: :ha:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

splash wrote:
Dirkpitt289 wrote:Looks good Splash but from where I'm sitting the best part about the 1:1 is that wood grain steering wheel. The whole idea of the Mini is kinda cool but hands down its an ugly car. There's a reason James Bond never drove a Mini. :ha: :ha:
It was cool enough for Jason Bourne escaping from the French Police :ha: :ha:
Well you got me there. ;-) Of course I think it says a lot that one can escape from the French Police using only a Mini. :ha:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

List of films with Mini's in

The Italian Job (1969) three Mark I Austin Mini Cooper S cars are used in a gold bullion robbery. This is a classic that everyone should see, it had the classic quote by Michael Caine "You were only suppose to blow the bloody doors off"

Goodbye Pork Pie (1981) yellow Mini 1000 is used to travel the length of New Zealand. This is a fun film if you can still find it, the car starts of as a new yellow hire car and slowly becomes a rolling shell as the occupants sell parts of the car, to fund their drive. This film has a classic line when the girl gives the driver a race tuned cylinder head as a gift and he says "You really know how to give head"

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) garaged alongside other classic sports cars.

The Bourne Identity, Jason Bourne escapes the French Police in an old beaten up red Mini, this has a good chase scene through Paris.

Mr. Bean UK TV series

The Prisoner UK TV series, used a Mini Moke

The Beatles movie Magical Mystery Tour had George Harrison psychedelic mini.

Marc Bolan famously died when the Mini 1275GT in which he was a passenger hit a Tree in Barnes, London on 16 September 1977. The site is now Officially Recognised by the English Tourist Board as Bolan's Rock Shrine

Return to “Wheels Go 'Round - the Auto GB”