Revell 1/24 London Bus

Runs March 5th through April 15th.
GB Leader: JamesPerrin
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Revell 1/24 London Bus

Post by beany »

I bought this kit last weekend and haven't been so excited about a kit in a long time. The box is huge and crammed full of plastic. A warning - if you want to get the lid back on after your first inspection, note, or even photograph, the order and orientation of the bags of sprues as you remove them because you will NOT get the lid back on flat if you don't!

I'll recycle the photo I took for my other GB entrant, which shows the relative size of the boxes.

Some stats:-
Box size: 60 x 42 x 12cm or 2ft x 1ft 6in x 4 3/4in.
6 Rubber tyres.
Huge decal sheet which include the mochette patterning for the seats. Fleet numbers for two versions (both red)
20 sprues in light grey, dark grey and clear (but no chrome plate thank gawd!).
391 parts
28 pages A4 instruction booklet with 90 construction stages.
Finished model is 38.1cm long
Choice of Leyland or Scania (after 1996) engines.
Instructions have 21 paint call-outs (of which 5 are mixes that everyone detests)

I won't bother with sprue shots as these can be found in spades on Britmodeller where they seem to have all of the ex-Routemaster drivers in the universe who are discussing the kit in detail, which has actually been very useful. One of many threads (with sprue shots) can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... 9812&st=60;

For example, Selwyn said that both engines provided are inappropriate for the RML (Routemaster Long), which were all fitted with AEC engines, and that the two for which decals are provided actually had Cummins engines rather than Scanias. This is then updated by Selwyn to say Revell have mislabelled the Leyland engine which is actually an AEC AV590 that powered the majority of RM buses.

The standard RM can be built from the kit by performing surgery and removing the extended section (with the square window). Personally I'd have preferred the kit to come with an RM body as standard with an option to add (rather than remove) the additional section.

Right, enough chat - I'm off to build this beauty.

Oh, and I paid £39.99 for it in Modelzone but it will be cheaper at shows and some discount model stores (but not by mail order if you have to add postage!!).

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
bobblelink
Active Participant

Re: Revell 1/24 London Bus

Post by bobblelink »

Not a bus modeller, but I shall watch your build with interest- good luck!
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
beany

Post by beany »

bobblelink wrote:Not a bus modeller, but I shall watch your build with interest- good luck!
Yeah, me neither, or even a car modeller if it comes to that - but it is soooooo big with so much plastic for £40 I just had to. Compare say with 4 x £10 Airfix small box new releases, you have to wonder how Revell constantly give you so much plastic for your money.

Cheers
Al.

P.S. an hour last night and two so far this morning and I'm still cutting plastic from sprue and tidying up the edges. It does have a lot of really gruesome sink marks, not unlike the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito (can't wait to stand both of them next to each other when finished!), but it looks like most will be out of sight and out of mind once construction begins.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

So what colour are you going to paint it :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:So what colour are you going to paint it :mrgreen:
Funny!
Revell managed to produce the 1/32 Red Arrows Hawk in red plastic, so I'd have thought this would have been an obvious choice for this kit also. I'll probably just go for Humbrol rattle can 19 or 60 - easy enough to revert to tinlets for touching up then.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Fantastic! Are you sure a month will be enough time to put together 391 pieces of plastic!? What route is your bus following?

The Triumph Herald was a small two two-door car introduced in 1959 by the Standard-Triumph Company of Coventry. The body design was by the Italian stylist Michelotti.

A:B
2012 03:00 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 176:46
beany

Post by beany »

Narayan wrote:Fantastic! Are you sure a month will be enough time to put together 391 pieces of plastic!? What route is your bus following?
It's not so much putting the 391 parts together as cutting them from the sprues and cleaning them up - I spent most of yesterday doing just that and am about 2/3 of the way through. Route wise I probably won't decide until it is actually time for the decals to go on!

Once you come to start gluing stuff together it all goes very nicely. Still a Revell rather than a Tamigawa, but a nice relaxing build. I thought I would build both engines so as not to waste the plastic, and started with the Leyland which I intended to use in the bus. Towards the end of the section I realised that two part are common to both engines so bang went that idea. This is a real shame I think as many of the other part come on duplicated sprues and are surplus for this reason, so these two parts could have been included as well. One of them is the six bladed cooling fan, not impossible to scratch build but not especially easy either. Having said that I may have a go now just to see if I can do it. Here is the Leyland engine.

It looks like that exhaust may be a bit blowy if I don't pop a bit of filler in there...

Sorry about the quality, my little camera doesn't do Macro very well.

Next stage is the under-frame, which all goes together very nicely as I said. The black circle are made when you have to apply a heated screwdriver to flatten the stubs such that the front wheels will "steer" in unison.

Next it was on to the seats and frames - a lot of tediously repetitive cutting out and gluing leg to seats and so on. I spent about an hour doing the bottom deck last night and will do the rest today. then it will be time to think about splashing some paint onto the beast.

In spite of the repetition I am really enjoying this build so far, however the prospect of filling in miriad sink holes looms on the horizon before painting can truly begin :boom:

Cheers
Al.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

beany wrote: Image
Barrow bus...early hours, Sunday morning.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

That picture encapsulates why I would never attempt this kit myself, more power to your elbow!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Good lord that a load of parts. :shock: :shock: :shock:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I think I'll give that one a miss, unless there's some interesting internal PE arriving.

Regards,
Bruce
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

Looks a great kit Al and is a lot of plastic like you say. It's not for me though, my 1/48 CH-53 moved the divorce doomsday clock a minute closer to midnight, what she would make of this I dread to think.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

My wife would probably be uncharitable and call me a sad bus spotter! I've never built a civvie vehicle and this kit does look the business, plenty of parts etc would probably take me all year. Best of luck with this one!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'd trade some of the seat parts/detail to have the underside components (and lines) separate.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jRatz wrote:I'd trade some of the seat parts/detail to have the underside components (and lines) separate.
Good point, but when it's built who could lift it up to look underneath? :ha: :ha:

It's to big for me, but I do like the idea of a big bus, it should sell well, good luck with the build
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Wheels Go 'Round - the Auto GB”