Dazzled's Jag

Runs March 5th through April 15th.
GB Leader: JamesPerrin
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Jag

Post by Dazzled »

OK, I've given it some thought and, despite a monstrously heavy load of study work to do, I've decided I need a bit of relaxing modelling time so I'm in for this GB with this:

I've had some experience with Revell's automotive efforts in the past so I'm not sure if I'm suffering from some kind of delusion about how it'll turn out (I have a model of a Vincent Black Shadow that bits fall off of every time I look at it :frown: ) but I'm going to apply a bit of TLC (Thumping, Lamping and Clouting) to get this one to look something like the picture on the box.

I've made a start tonight with a bit of parts prep:

I've sorted out quite a few engine, chassis, suspension and transmission parts, enough to get me over the first page of the instructions at least. I picked up some Fiat Racing Red spray paint from Halfords that should look pretty smart on the finished model and am searching about for suitable wiring/piping material. I also intend to replace the cheap, tacky looking chromed effect plastic by stripping the coating off and replacing it with Plasti-kote chrome silver spray paint.

Wish me luck guys.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
flakmonkey

Re: Dazzled's Jag

Post by flakmonkey »

Next to the '57 Lister "Knobbly", this is my favourite Jaguar. The parts I can see don't look too bad, some of Revell's car kits are way past their sell by date.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Very nice. I look forward to watching your progress.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:4 B:4 C:13
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

If you look at Matt's from last year you'll see it builds into a very fine model indeed.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

WOW, that is one beautiful Jag. Can't wait to see some more of it
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice Jag Dazzled and a nice busy looking workbench. Best of British with this one.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

JamesPerrin wrote:If you look at Matt's from last year you'll see it builds into a very fine model indeed.

I've had a shufti at Matt's Jag. Very nice. It looks like I've got a standard to live up to so no pressure then ;-)

I managed a little more progress today.

First off is an experiment in chrome stripping.

I've snipped off a couple of pieces of plated sprue and stuck them in a jar of brake fluid. This could go one of three ways. I could end up with nicely stripped styrene bits :grin: , It may not work at all :sad: , in which case I'll have to find an alternative method; or I could end up with a melted mess :cry: , which will, at least, tell me something about the styrene in the kit.

Other than this, most of my efforts have been directed at further parts fettling and pre-painting.

I really should clear that SH box out of the way to give me a bit more room!

Typical of an auto kit of this scale, there's a lot of preparation involved before it looks like much is happening. So far the only real signs of visible progress are...

the engine is coming together slowly and the rear axle and subframe have been put together. Much more is pending (read that as "drying") so some movement should be visible soon. One thing with this kit so far though, and I know it's old, is that it's "sink-mark city". Some of them are really bad, including one helpfully slap bang in the middle of the water pump pulley, between 4 bolt heads :frown: . I also seem to be finding a lot of them at the point where I'm sticking paint on :oops:

Ah well....no pain no gain.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good stuff Dazzled. I agree that chrome parts in car kits just don't look right. I would say watch it with the brake fluid though, it makes great paint stripper and I think that you will have to make sure that all traces are eradicated from your dipped parts prior to painting. That is if they survive of course :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice looking engine.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Despite work, studying and family trying to get in the way, things haven't been idle with the Jag. It's just been difficult rying to find time to get on the forum and update so I'm dashing in a quick 5 minutes before heading out to work.

Firstly, the paint stripping experiment was a big success.

After a couple of days in the brake fluid the plating lifted nicely leaving only a little residue that was easily scraped off with the wife's toothbrush ;-)

Most of the other plated parts have been in the fluid and have been removed to soak in water until I have time to deal with them too. No photo at the moment but some will follow.

At the moment, these bits are "in progress".

A few subassemblys are together and I've started on the bodywork (with a sinkmark in the side of the bonnet :frown: )

However, after further review of the instructions, I've decided to take a more holistic view of construction (i.e. I've abandoned the build sequence) and I've started on the interior.

This needs to go together now and be installed so that the body can be closed up and the horizontal line around the back end filled and smoothed. Following the build sequence would make this much more difficult. I have painted some of the interior parts, using pictures from the web as guides rather than the kit recommendations. Again, more pictures will follow.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Great stuff so far Dazzled. TLC seems to be paying off!

The Triumph Herald was a small two two-door car introduced in 1959 by the Standard-Triumph Company of Coventry. The body design was by the Italian stylist Michelotti.

A:B
2012 03:01 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 176:47
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Common household bleach will remove chrome in less than half and hour, but that said I'm glad the breakfluid worked. Though we know it works on paint I wasn't sure how what it would do with the chrome plating.

Good to see you are making progress.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just dashing off a quick update.

The interior is well under way and cemented into the body which has been test fitted to see how it goes together. It looks like a pretty good fit :)

There's still a bit to do but everything is progressing nicely although this will be on hold for a few days as I'm off to Belgium in about half an hour :beer:

I'll be back Monday night so hopefully an update should follow Tuesday/Wednesday.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Looks great!

...though that red plastic is a right pain compared to the dark green I had in my box!

You don't want to get too up tight about removing seam lines. In real life, you can see the panels below and behind the door, and the bonnet ones are hidden by the bumpers.

If you Google "Jaguar XKSS" Images and filter them to "large" you can find various copies of these pics of the Ralph Lauren car which really show the surface texture, like this:

I found a hypodermic needle ground down with a Dremel was good for making the rivets!

Keep going with the cracking job...

bestest,
M.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm back now so work on the Jag can recommence.....tomorrow though. I've been travelling most of the day.

Thanks for the info Matt. I'd already downloaded a picture of the Ralph Lauren car plus a couple of dozen other useful pics (aint Gooogle images wonderful 8-) ) but I'm still going after those seams. Old habits die hard I'm afraid.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Wheels Go 'Round - the Auto GB”