Space Shuttle/Hubble Space Telescope, 1/72 scale...STS-125..

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Space Shuttle/Hubble Space Telescope, 1/72 scale...STS-1

Post by Eric Mc »

Just been e-mailed that the 3D producer cannot make the Hubble Space Telescope. What is the point in advertising a product they can't actually make?
Allan31
Active Participant

Post by Allan31 »

Eric,
I'm sure it's temporary. As I mentioned, I received mine and that was less than a month ago.
I will probably use my 3D printed version for the dimensions and scratch my own from styrene tube. If that is the case, I will offer you mine when I'm done with it.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Gosh - that would be appreciated. However, if you post up a build of your Hubble I might have a go at scratching my own. It looks like it's chiefly two diameters of tubing and assorted boxed and rectangular panels.

A set of decent drawing would be very helpful.
glehn
starter kit

Post by glehn »

Allan, beautiful work on the Shuttle and Hubble. Congratulations.
Hi Eric, I am the designer of the Hubble in Shapeways. I am really sorry for your bad experience. Unfortunately, Shapeways had changed some rules regarding minimal wall thickness and the model got rejected despite being printed multiple times before. Shapeways is a kind of marketplace where designers like myself can upload their models. Shapeways is responsible for printing and shipping the models. I have no control over that and it is very frustrating when they change the rules like that. But it is a new form of manufacturing and I think everyone is still learning. I hope it doesn't discourage you from trying 3D printed models in the future again. :)
Anyway, the Hubble has in fact a simple geometry and scratchbuilding one shouldn' t be too hard for those with the skills. :)

Best regards,
Luis

PS: I fixed the HST model as per the new Shapeways rules and it is available again in my Shapeways shop.:)
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/smallscaleshop
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1475332 ... terialId=6
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Thanks for the reply. I may end up scratch building the thing in the end. It looks do-able.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Allan.

That Shuttle / Hubble combo is simply amazing. Great work. If my Revell 1/72 Shuttle looks 10% as good as yours I will be happy. Great tips on the foil too. I'll be using that on my Shuttles (I intend to build the whole fleet, mostly in 1/144) and on my Apollo 11. Cheers for the tips.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
RayS

Post by RayS »

Allan, I followed the link from the NASA Group Build.

What a great build! I am going to 'borrow' your tile creation method for my Enterprise build that is stalled at the moment.

I love what you have done to recreate the Hubble and equipment in the bay.

I also have a 1/72 Shuttle, I wonder if a Hubble kit is available in that scale?
Ray
-----------------------
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Since my abortive attempt to obtain a 3D printed Hubble a few years ago, I finally managed to get one. So, it is in my stash in aticipation of a 1/144 "Space Shuttle/Hubble Service Mission" diorama. All I need are two 1/144 astronauts in EVA suits.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”