Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

Post by Eric Mc »

After almost three months of intensive accounts preparation and tax return work, I am ready at long last to return to the modelling workbench.

In order to preserve any form of sanity over the period and to give my brain a break from tax work, I've been reading up on project Apollo and have really built up a head of enthusiasm for doing an Apollo related subject.

I decided that it was about time I had a Saturn V in my collection - especially as it will provide an impressive comparison to my already completed similar scale Space Shuttle and Saturn IB.

The kit I have in my collection is the re-released and updated version of the now very old Airfix Saturn V. Like the Saturn IB model, Airfix released corrected versions in 2009/10. The main area of correction is the Command/Service Module (CSM) which is now of the correct dimensions and features the proper surface details for a Block II Command/Service module. The original kit had a Command Service Module which was under scale and the panel details were based on Block I designs - which were never used for manned Apollo missions.

As a consequence of the CSM dimension corrections, the Lunar Module Adaptor fairing is now also corrected.

Elsewhere the model remains much as it has since it was first released in 1970.

The moulds are definitely past their best and a close inspection of some elements, such as the first stage engines (the mighty F1) shows plenty of flash and, in one case, an actual hole in the engine exhaust bell - which will have to be patched somehow.

I'm not terribly worried about seam lines or damage etc on these engines because, in real life, when sitting on the pad ready for launch, these engines were "batted" i.e. they were covered in a heat protective ablative material - rather like a blanket. I intend to use foil to replicate this material and it will hide a multitude of mould flaws, damage etc.

I built an Airfix Saturn V way back in 1980/81 and it will be an interesting experience revisiting this monster after three and a half decades.

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

Post by AndrewR »

I'm looking forwards to seeing this built. I have never built one of these. :)
Up in the Great White North
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Here you can see some of the problems apparent with the engines.

This is a picture showing one half of one of the six J-2 engines provided. The second stage had five of these and the top stage had one. You will notice a large protuberance in the centre of the engine bell. This did not feature in the original release of the Airfix kit. However, in 1980, when Airfix was owned by Palitoy, they turned some of their kits into what they called "Snap n'Glue" supposedly to make them easier to build. Large location holes and pins were added to the original moulds.
Whether they aided construction back then is a moot point. All they do today is get in the way and prevent even mating of the parts. So - one of the first thing you have to do in the construction sequence is remove all these unwanted lugs. Once removed, the parts fit much better.

The second picture shows one of the five F1 engines of the first stage. You can see the damage to the part which appears to be caused by a faulty mould. The mould is now 45 years old and is obviously really past its best.

I have place a backing plate of plasticard behind the hole and will fill the gap with putty.

As I mentioned earlier, the foil batting material will cover all these repairs and mould flaws.

Here's what the batted engines looked like in real life-

Allan31
Active Participant

Post by Allan31 »

You'll have fun with it, builds up fine. I still have final details to add to mine.

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Looking forward to seeing more of this build!
Best from Ivan
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Your V looks pretty good Allan. I think the main concern I will have will be the painting of the black panels and stopping any paint bleed under the corrugations. I remember that was a real pain back when I built one 30 plus years ago.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Progress report - All the engine bells have been assembled now and await cleaning and sanding before priming. The next task is to remove these odd fairings which are on the second (SII) stage. These were not featured on real Saturn Vs so need to come off.

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

I want to say 'nice bell ends :shock: " but I'm not 12 years old anymore.
So good work on those engines :)

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

:shock: :shock:
:-D :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I've not done too much to them yet apart from cut away the "Snap n' Glue" lugs and glue them together. I've also filled the hole on the F1 that had a chunk missing.

I've now removed those teardrop shaped "thingies" from the SII stage using a combination of a mini-drill with a small sander attached, a sharp blade and wet and dry paper. I've also laid on some filler to smooth out any sanding damage.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Have the day off today and so decided to do some work on the Saturn. Lots of filling and filing going on, I have to say.

One item that needs correcting is the heat shield which protects the base of the SII stage from the heat of the five J engines. The kit item doesn't look awfully like the real thing. I found some references on the internet which show the true shape. It could do with being completely replaced but I am just altering it a bit to make it look a bit better. Most of the time it will be hidden from view anyway.

The second image shows the shield part way through being amended.

And if anybody says anything, the Saturn V displayed at cape Canaveral has left this shield off. `

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've never built one of these Eric but I have noticed with builds over the years that a fair bit of work is required to make one look accurate. Still, it is a classic kit, albeit with some corrections having already been made by Airfix with this particular release and I love to try and upgrade them myself. Nice bit of work so far.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Some progress has been made on the model.

It's currently part primed using Halfords Grey Primer.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Beast!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It certainly is. It dwarfs the Saturn IB and Space Shuttles I've got in my collection.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”