Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

Post by ShaunW »

That is coming together nicely Eric and I agree - it certainly is a beast 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Watching with interest. Have done this one myself and she certainly towers above everything else. Apparently though the Revell one is 1/96 and is blooming massive!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

One whole can of Halford's White Primer later -

Next task will be an application of Halford's Appliance White - hopefully not the whole can this time.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Shaping up very well Eric. Alas, it could end up costing you more in white paint from Halfords that you spent on the kit!

IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Got the Appliance White on now and in the middle of the tedious job of masking off for the black markings.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Best of luck with that Eric, I can imagine masking a Saturn V up will not be the most pleasurable part of the build!

IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It definitely isn't. Making sure that all the markings line up between the different stages and are in the right proportions has been a bit of a chore. I actually had to use my brain, an exercise which is always fraught with danger.. The tricky masking is now done and I should be able to spray the black markings over the next day or so.
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

I sprayed the black first, then the white as no matter how careful you are with the masking, there will be paint bleed.

Much easier to touch up the black than it is the white.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I went the traditional black over white route and did, as expected, get some bleed. This has been touched up and tidied up (using black decal trim).

Next time I might try the white over lack route - which does seem counterintuitive but might be, as you say, a better solution.
SMD70
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by SMD70 »

I finished my build of this last month… I went primer… white… black. I had no problems with bleed.

I made sure I had good fit on the Tamiya masking tape using a cocktail stick around the edges and down the grooves. Then a thin ghosting of white around the edges of the masking to seal the join. Then black applied in layers starting quite light… with a couple of minutes drying between each coat till I got a nice solid black.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I did all you did - but I used a Halfords can for the black. I think that is where the problem lies. Next time I do a Saturn V (I have a Skylab one to do), I'll use the airbrush for applying the black as the pressure is lower and there's less chance of paint being forced under the tape.
SMD70
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by SMD70 »

I did use Humbrol white gloss acrylic from a can as the main colour but then the airbrushed the white ghosting to seal and black with Tamiya paints. Got to be gentle and apply the paint in thin layers to cut down the chance of bleeding paint. The masking was too much fun for me to want to do it again!

Looking forward to see your finished model. :grin:
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Well, I definitely won't have the model finished in time for this evening's Farnborough IPMS meeting. I found myself beginning to rush things and make mistakes. So I decided to give up on the idea of finishing it by tonight.

Because of serious bleeding on the "flared" fairings at the base of the rocket, I decided to sand off the poor painting and try again. I still hope to finish everything within a couple of weeks.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Back to the Saturn V

Painting now completed and ready for decal application. I've left off some of the final fragile items, such as the Launch Escape Tower until after all the decals have been applied.
I gave up on the idea of batting the F1 engines as the wrapping with foil did not really convey the right look.

Should be completed by the weekend.
iggie

Post by iggie »

The black looks very sharp indeed!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”