Blakes 7 - The Liberator (WIP - Titan Find Model)

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
John Leah
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Blakes 7 - The Liberator (WIP - Titan Find Model)

Post by John Leah »

Hi Sci-Fi Fans. I am building the Titan Find Liberator from Blake's 7. Its proving to be great fun and also quite challenging as its all cast resin and needs a lot of extra add-lib surface detail adding. Cost me approx. £150.00 after importing from John at TFind in the US. It is not a straight forward build and has required the normal amount of filling, drilling, measuring, hot water soaking and bending. I hope to have it completed in a month or so.

I wont bother typing loads of note as it is all pretty self explanatory : click on any picture to go large

Thank you for looking in so far - John
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Blakes 7 - The Liberator (WIP - Titan Find Model)

Post by Stuart »

i don't know blakes 7 but that's looking cool so far!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I now have the theme tune as an earworm ;-)
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
John Leah

Post by John Leah »

Hi again

Here are a few more pictures of the latest workings - it is going to be a bit tricky for my skills to get the blaster pods assembled with uniform angles but I will give it my best. I have gone a bit add-lib adding surface details to cheer the thing up a tad too. Having studied numerous other models of the Liberator and what are deemed the original / repaired BBC studio models, there is much variation to the surface painting and detailing so I am just adding little bits along with an imaginary airlock where the Liberator first docked up with the London

Having read the B7 Fans drawing notes, I know the Liberator was imagined to have at least 6 - 8 loading bays with external access but quite where is anyone's guess so I added these as circular plates at various places on the main hull which will be detail painted later on

The add-lib docking hatch area

fine tuning the power sphere

Thanks for following so far
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Very cool. I used to have the whole set on VHS. I can still name all the characters and, if I remember correctly, Brian Blessed was in the first episode.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Awesome. Me and Sarah (being sci-fi geeks) watched the entire series a couple of months ago Looking forward to following this build just as much.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I notice Michael Keating (Vila Restal ) is currently in Eastenders when I saw him the memories of Blake Seven came rushing back.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
John Leah

Post by John Leah »

Hi Liberator followers. Here are some updates from the workbench. I was nicely surprised to find out that the blaster pods and supporting arms went together very nicely. I have added a bulkhead to the end of the power globe where it will link to the main hull of the ship - having hollowed it out to reduce the surface contact area I am now considering installing a small light lamp kit - does anyone have any recommendations for a simple assembly that can be wired into the main hull with a small battery to power it - I can build the power globe so that it can be connected and detached from the ship for access to the lamp for battery replacements

I am going to have to rebuild these 3 parts which were weakly cast and deformed

and this is where I am now up to with the build

thank you for following and your interest - I think the painting and weathering will be the hardest part of the model and I am no sci-fi detailing expert
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looking impressive. I've built the Comet Miniatures kit and this one appears to be rough 1.5x the size of that.

Funnily I made exactly the same alteration to my kit, I wonder :roll: The plans look like the ones that came with the Comet kit too. Note that the engine stripes are wrong. Here my for comparision:

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I sold my Comet Miniatures kit off a while back, along with the models from The Black Hole. They didn't really fetch much, so I may have jumped the gun.

These look nice.

A new 'Blakes 7' with CGI could be a big hit all over again. Interesting thinking about who would play the roles. There were no Americans in the series either. A new version should be more international.
So many models, so little time.
John Leah

Post by John Leah »

JamesPerrin wrote:Looking impressive. I've built the Comet Miniatures kit and this one appears to be rough 1.5x the size of that.

Funnily I made exactly the same alteration to my kit, I wonder :roll: The plans look like the ones that came with the Comet kit too. Note that the engine stripes are wrong. Here my for comparision:

Hi James - thanks for the picture of your TF Liberator - I shall endeavour to do as good a job as you have here - and thanks for clarifying the power globe lines too - I was wondering about that .. all the best - John
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

John Leah wrote:Hi James - thanks for the picture of your TF Liberator - I shall endeavour to do as good a job as you have here - and thanks for clarifying the power globe lines too - I was wondering about that .. all the best - John

Thanks, but note it is the smaller Comet Miniatures kit. I think the TF might be a scaled up version.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a lot of work John but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. I loved Blakes 7 as a teenager in the late 70's and I've seen episodes since. A classic bit of British sci-fi and not a poor man's Star Trek as I once heard it described!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
John Leah

Post by John Leah »

JamesPerrin wrote:
John Leah wrote:Hi James - thanks for the picture of your TF Liberator - I shall endeavour to do as good a job as you have here - and thanks for clarifying the power globe lines too - I was wondering about that .. all the best - John

Thanks, but note it is the smaller Comet Miniatures kit. I think the TF might be a scaled up version.
Got you now James - I have an un-built Comet Miniatures Liberator - the TF model is easily twice the size
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi John. Your Liberator is really looking good now. Still following your build. It's a pity there was never a mainstream kit of this ship.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”