Airfix Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Airfix Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72

Post by AndrewR »

Here goes on an Airfix Eurofighter Typhoon What - If.

The kit was a recent birthday present, so I've been wanting to build it since May, but GB committments have been holding me back.

Rather dated, so not representative of current service versions. The Revell kit is, by all accounts, much better, but this is the Unofficial Airfix Forum, so "Full ahead, and damn the torpedoes".

I will try and dress up the cockpit a bit with an Eduard Zoom set intended for the Revell kit. This will need a bit of tweaking, but that's what we're here for :-D
Up in the Great White North
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Airfix Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72

Post by AndrewR »

First: The seat. This doesn't bear much resemblance to the real thing, and needs a few changes just to stick the Zoom bits on!

I did consider getting a resin seat, but decided it would be cheaper to use the Zoom set with a bit of scratch building.

The seat sides need pieces chopping out to get the shape right, and then need the armrests building up.

The headrest will also need some work too. So here we are after a quick chop :grin:

Cheers Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Now for the jet intake area.

The splitter plate needs replacing entirely, as it does not protrude out of the intake in real life. Plus it's very chunky!

The plate between fuselage and intake does not blend in well to the fuselage. However, a much better fit can be obtained by gently bending it to a more rounded shape along the line indicated by the blue arrows.

The other thing to do is thin the protruding "horns" (the red arrows). They look to me as if they have sink marks in them anyhow, so polish those out.

This greatly improves the fit. A little filler will still be needed, but not so much in that really awkward spot where the intake blends into the fuselage. You can check the fit by looking along the lower fuselage, to see if you have thinned those horns enough.

The outer casing, part 28, does need 0.5mm taking off the height. Something went wrong in the design process there!

Once that has been sanded back, a dry fit shows that things are much better.

The splitter I will replace by a piece of thin brass shim. This can be creased to a fine edge, and trimmed with scissors.

Nothing very difficult about any of those modifications.

Cheers

Andrew
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

0.5mm taken off? You're lucky, I had to take off over 1mm. My intake top piece fitted perfectly though. I thinned the leading edge of the bottom part, just used the splitter but cut off and tidied that sticky out bit.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice work on what is a poor aspect of an otherwise OK kit. I look forward to seeing what scheme you've chosen!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

fredk wrote:0.5mm taken off? You're lucky, I had to take off over 1mm. My intake top piece fitted perfectly though. I thinned the leading edge of the bottom part, just used the splitter but cut off and tidied that sticky out bit.
My intake top did not really fit well, if it had, 1mm would have been nearer the mark. :)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:Nice work on what is a poor aspect of an otherwise OK kit. I look forward to seeing what scheme you've chosen!
Nothing too outrageous :mrgreen:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ah yes, just what I like to see. Take a fair to middling kit and tart it up with a bit of this and that. Good stuff.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Ah yes, just what I like to see. Take a fair to middling kit and tart it up with a bit of this and that. Good stuff.
I'm just going to correct the engineering deficiencies like the evil step. As it is a What - if , I don't feel inclined to reposition the various bumpy bits that are different on the latest version. Economy of effort!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The various bits have now been glued together. I'm using a thick gel CA adhesive, so it helps with filling up the inevitable gaps.

The gaps look bad in the photos, but mostly feel smooth when I run a finger over them.

The cockpit tub got a second coat of light Grey - blue this evening, so I may be able to start on the cockpit and instrument panel. I'll have to paint the inside of the fuselage too.

Cheers

Andrew
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

She's coming together well Andrew. The Mk 1 finger is one of the best seam testers available IMHO.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:She's coming together well Andrew. The Mk 1 finger is one of the best seam testers available IMHO.
A thin coat of Matt Grey will soon see how good the Mk 1 Finger is doing!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Not managed to do anything except a few photos!

The sides of the tub should extend further in. The etch pieces are okay, but I may need some plastic card vertical pieces to avoid overhangs.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The Zoom photoetch fitted pretty well to the instrument panel and tub sides, despite being intended for the later Revell kit.

The side consoles do overhang, but I want to put the seat in before deciding if I need to put new walls in the tub!

The main things which need attention are the port side lever control and the HUD both of which Airfix have ignored completely!

Then I need to reshape the seat.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Here is the reshaped seat, with seat arms added and a few bits to bring the shape slightly closer to reality! Purists would add a resin seat. But then purists wouldn't touch this kit!

The black monstrosity in the picture is the PM Sea Fury cockpit.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”