Revell Mercury-Atlas 1/110

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Revell Mercury-Atlas 1/110

Post by Eric Mc »

OK - scratch that.
There was a reason Revell didn't provide a full diameter cylinder for the top of the spacecraft. The lattice work of the launch escape tower is too thick to fit around anything larger than the little "spike" provided. This is probably down to moulding limitations back in 1959. Discretion rather than valour so I've decided to stick with what Revell provided.
John Leah
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by John Leah »

Hi Eric

Nice to meet you at Modelfest a fortnight back - thanks for all the helpful information about the shuttle tile and project disaster points - your display of rockets looked great up against Andrew's Thunderbird spread

Looking for ward to seeing you at the next club meeting

John Leah (the guy with the Concorde display at Farnborough)
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Luckilly you managed to escape - I could chat all day about space related matters :) I've just finished reading another Shuttle related book "Bold They Rise" - which covers the programme from the first mission up to the Challenger disaster.

Unfortunately, I may have to miss next Monday's Farnborough club meet as I plan to be away in our motorhome - weather permitting.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Still chugging along with this project. Plenty to do still but it's beginning to look like something now -

Image|http://thumbsnap.com/SNP3LX4Z[/img]

Image|http://thumbsnap.com/1b4hxvyC[/img]
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, that is building up into a fine piece Eric. The inclusion of the launch pad by Revell really takes the thing to a higher level - quite something for a kit of this vintage.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The pad isn't too inaccurate either. Looking at pictures it does resemble Launch Complex 14 which was the pad used for the Mercury/Atlas launches. The main inaccuracies are the colours indicated in the instruction sheet. Revell would have you paint the various pipes etc various reds and yellows. In reality they were all differing shades of grey - which is how I have painted them.

They also included some of the servicing vehicles in the kit and these are the bits that look the least realistic - being too toy like. I will probably omit most of them although I may include the truck cab which can be positioned ahead of the cradle structure on which the Atlas was hauled to the launch pad.

I'm looking to place the pad on a base of some sort and am trying to figure out how best to represent the ground on which the pad was set.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Still plugging away at my Atlas. Currently, I'm adding all the little "bits and bobs" to the launch platform. To be honest, I don't know what half these are suppose to represent, but they look to me like workstations for pad crew and automatic fire and water hydrants for coping with fuel spillages and fires on the pad - which were not unheard of with Atlas launches.

It's all rather tedious and unphotogenic, but will add to the overall look of the final display, I'm sure.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I'm calling this finito. To be honest, I'm gagging to start on a new model - a straightforward aeroplane for a change - so I'm glad to put this one to bed. It's an awkward shape to photograph being long and tall, so I'll apologise in advance for the quality of the pictures

[imghttp://thumbsnap.com/s/RDwiK8IS.jpg][/img]

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Looks good, nice one :grin: .
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looks really good; nice to see it completed!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It was a bit of a struggle in the end. And I can't really see how I can transport it anywhere,. It's a very awkward shape and quite fragile.
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SBO »

Eric Mc wrote:It was a bit of a struggle in the end. And I can't really see how I can transport it anywhere,. It's a very awkward shape and quite fragile.
That is a shame as the kit looks so good! I am really impressed with how much stuff you get with it. You have really done it justice.
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent Eric, that really does look good. I agree, it does rather present some transport issues!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

A bit like the real thing - which had to be moved around VERY carefully - and then pumped full of helium when it was erected just to stop it collapsing under its own weight.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Fantastic!
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”