Lindberg U.S.Moon Ship/Lunar Lander......

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Allan31
Active Participant

Lindberg U.S.Moon Ship/Lunar Lander......

Post by Allan31 »

I was cleaning up the bench and noticed this that had been started last year sometime...

Rather than pack it away yet again, I spent a couple of hours on it and finished it up for a quick, fun space-build.

We don't spend much time filling and sanding on these fun builds, we just want something cool to look at.

That said, the fact that the poor Moon-walkers had no way of getting out of their habitat bothered me so I made a hatch. I also discarded the red bulbs in the kit and instead added some small rings for the portals.

But in keeping with the original spirit of the kit, I still gave them no way to actually descend or ascend but they DO now have a hatch.
The middle section is stock kit as is the rest of the build.

As you can see I played with the markings included with the kit and added some large numeral three's from the decal box.

I thought this kit came with a molded moon base and was disappointed to find it smooth so I made a moon base. The center blast crater was formed with spackle putty around the base of a glass shot-glass. Small beads of different sizes were then used to make the smaller craters in the wet spackle and then when all was dry the whole thing painted "moon grey" and then dry brushed with flat white.

The moon walkers just had to be in silver suits with a black wash to bring out the detail.

Everything fit amazingly well for such an ancient kit and is a nice addition to the growing "Rocket Garden".

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Lindberg U.S.Moon Ship/Lunar Lander......

Post by iggie »

Great fun! A lovely throw back to the 50's!!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Lovely. What space might have looked like.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Great result. What did you paint the spacesuits with? They look almost like chrome.

David
Allan31
Active Participant

Post by Allan31 »

Thanks All, was good fun.
David, my chrome silver for the suits is the Testors "Chrome Silver". Very fine grain that lays down looking like chrome.

This is it on something larger...

Clear coat with future or any water base clear gloss and it looks great.

Thanks everyone...
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Testors paints are not that easy to find in the UK at the moment.
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Those are great builds thanks for sharing.
George B.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”