such a good boy, really

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

such a good boy, really

Post by rob_van_riel »

The crazy cat lady, high fantasy style...

The dragon was produced by Citadel for their Warhammer games, and had been lurking in my stash since pretty much forever. Something about the little blighter always yelled "put me in a vignette" at me, but it never seemed to happen. Sometime last year (or was it earlier..?) I realised his head was at just about the right height off the ground for the 'witch' to pet him, and things got out of hand from there. I don't know which company made the old woman; the blister she came on has long since been lost, but I like the level of detail.

The annoyed neighbours are from Grenadier's range of figures by Julie Guthry, a clear favourite of mine. Their daughter is also by her, but was part of the Ral Partha sets of Wolfriders based on the Elfquest comics.

Sadly, only Citadel remains of the companies that produced these figures.

[Correction: Ral Partha is also still here, although considerably changed after several takeovers and re-definitions]
general rocket

Re: such a good boy, really

Post by general rocket »

Like it.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I've got him somewhere, bought in Middlesborough in 1983, and painted in copper and gold. "Ral Partha" is a name to conjure with...

Great job.

bestest,
M.
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Nice work! I like it.
Best from Ivan
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

mattbacon wrote:I've got him somewhere, bought in Middlesborough in 1983, and painted in copper and gold.
Is the dragon that old? I think I got mine at the very end of the 80's, probably at a store quite appropriately called "De Draak" (Dutch for "The Dragon") in Nijmegen. Given the mutation rate of the Citadel line, he must have been really old stock by then, or he had an uncharacteristically long production life.
"Ral Partha" is a name to conjure with...
Yup, I don't know how they came up with that name, but it certainly has a good ring to it for a company that operates in the high fantasy market.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Really, the only thing to add to this would be the elf-kid's football, melted to a puddle after it came over the fence..
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Arcwelder wrote:Really, the only thing to add to this would be the elf-kid's football, melted to a puddle after it came over the fence..
I knew I'd missed something... :-D
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Lovely looking Vignette Rob. ;-)
I may have to try and source a dragon kit like that and paint it like the one I have tattooed on my arm - from my favourite Roger Dean painting "Morning Dragon"...

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

beany wrote:Lovely looking Vignette Rob. ;-)
I may have to try and source a dragon kit like that and paint it like the one I have tattooed on my arm - from my favourite Roger Dean painting "Morning Dragon"...
Thanks.

Just throw "citadel dragon -dungeon" into an Ebay search box, and take your pick. Be prepared for some financial agony though, old Warhammer metal isn't cheap.
This particular chap's twin is looking for a good home there too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C29-young-dra ... WDSx5zW4RQ;. I'm somewhat tempted to buy him myself, and put him in front of a "mouse hole" as I'd originally planned for him, so no guarantees as to long term availability :-D

I'll be suitably impressed if you manage to get the colouration of that tattoo onto a model dragon; that's one complex paint job.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”