Moebius mini Vipers Mk VII

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Moebius mini Vipers Mk VII

Post by rob_van_riel »

Talk turned to the Moebius Models 1/72 BSG Vipers at the IPMS meet last week, and as a result a bunch of them arrived here a few days later. Nothing like a brand new toy to get the juices flowing, so my pair of Mk VIIs went straight to the bench.

I'm spoiled rotten by the Fine Moulds and Bandai Star Wars kits of course, but I have to admit the Moebius Vipers were something of a disappointment.
Basic and rather crude, I'm afraid. The large locator tabs strongly reminded me of certain snap-tite disasters from the past, so there was a certain degree of sinking feeling detected.

Fortunately, this is not one of those dreadful toys disguised as models, so at least fit turned out to be fairly good. About half an hour's work left me with an almost complete viper. I won't be using the landing gear, since it is simple UGLY. That's not so bad though, these ships were designed to look good with the gears up, but they all look kind of goofy with the gears down, a trait shared by many SF designs, and Moebius have included stands.
Quite good enough for a quick build beginner's kit, although rather overpriced at 18.50 euro per ship (actually 37 euro per pair)

After taking the pictures, I completed the engine cluster, and tried to insert it into the rear of the fuselage, as per instructions. No dice. The mouth of the cavity into which the engines are supposed to go it considerable smaller than the engine cluster. Some rather excessive use of force resulted in the join between the fuselage halves tearing loose before I could snap in the engines. So much for my plan to paint the ship and engines separately and join them at the very last moment. :frown:

This is as far as I'll take construction before dealing with some of the nastier joins, so it's filler and sandpaper time at the Viper factory.
rob_van_riel

Re: Moebius mini Vipers Mk VII

Post by rob_van_riel »

I decided to have the second Viper catch up before starting out with the filler..

iggie

Post by iggie »

I shall reserve judgement and my pennies until you finish these builds, but they do seem to be a tad lacking compared to Bandai mouldings
Watching with interest!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just a quick hint for anyone planning to take a shot at these kits: The box they arrive in is one of the horrible envelope types, albeit a very sturdy one. With a bit of cutting and bending, it can be made into a perfectly functional stand to put the models on while airbrushing though :-D

The vipers are now in the shed (..scary thought, vipers in the shed...) while the primer dries.

Since the landing gear is such a disappointing affair, it's perhaps good Moebius included a pilot figure. Sadly, this is not the greatest figure ever, in fact, it's a roughly human blob whose only notable details are the (correct) odd shaped helmet and the, how shall I put this, generous chest padding. Why they bothered including markings for Apollo's machine is beyond me, since this can't possibly be him; another female pilot besides Starbuck would have made more sense, or a second figure, of course, or rather less padding to make an ambiguous figure. (the 1/32 kit includes parts for either gender pilot).
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The initial coat of primer revealed very few remaining problems, so once again, the Vipers are in the shed while the final coat of primer dries. Although very basic, it's beginning to look like these will turn into rather nice models.

The engine modules might prove to be a handful to paint (masking is going to be interesting). In the "official" markings, this is no real issue, a bit of metal grey overspray on gloomy dark grey should be easily fudged, but there's no way I'm going to do both in the official depressing style. Number two is going to be considerably more cheerful, which means the engine painting issue is on the agenda for real.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've been inactive for too long, and the large plane GB is about to start, so I needed some light practice to get back up to speed, and I need to make room on the bench. So I picked up the Vipers again.

The gloomy grey is basically complete; all it needs is some matt varnish to take the ridiculous shine off and to fix the decals in place.

The second kit still needs some work; touch up to fix the bleed under the masking tape, a spot of blue, and quite a bit of gunmetal at the back.

Sorry, no bonus for guessing where I'm heading with this one :-D
iggie

Post by iggie »

They are both looking good; the 'red' one especially so!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Well, here they are, all done.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Very smart; both of them!
Best wishes

Jim
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Nice work!
Best from Ivan
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

rob_van_riel wrote:The second kit still needs some work; touch up to fix the bleed under the masking tape, a spot of blue, and quite a bit of gunmetal at the back.

Sorry, no bonus for guessing where I'm heading with this one :-D
Starsky and Hutch? :ha: :-D
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Tarkas wrote:Starsky and Hutch? :ha: :-D
Slightly before my time, so the paintwork didn't seem familiar, but yes, I could have gone that kind of crazy as well. Good call.
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

You're worried by Vipers in the shed :roll: Wait until you find a 6ft Brown snake in the garage :omg

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

DH-Drover wrote:Wait until you find a 6ft Brown snake in the garage :omg
Yikes! Sounds like the perfect way to completely ruin your day. You get a lot of such visitors over at your place? How reasonable are they when it comes to accepting a humble apology and a quick retreat when encountered?
celt

Post by celt »

Great pair of Vipers,like them. :beer:

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”