Airfix 1/72 Angel Interceptor

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Sunray
Active Participant

Airfix 1/72 Angel Interceptor

Post by Sunray »

I built one of these a few years ago as a birthday present for my brother then a few weeks ago I caught an episode of Captain Scarlet on Youtube. For those too young to remember Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons was one of the creations of Gerry Anderson in the late sixties made for children television. Every boy in my street and school used to watch Captain Scarlet fighting the Mysterons and Captain Black. With the help of Captain Blue and of course the Angels, Captain Scarlet most of the time would win the day. Gripping stuff.

Anyway thats why I have decided to build another and here we go. The kit is an old one which is still available from Airfix. It has raised panel lines and as you can see from the photo's below there aren't many parts. Most of the parts have flash on them but I think thats no surprise considering the age of the kit.

The canopy isn't the best but then again I put that down to the age of the kit.

The decals are spot on and as I remember from the last one I made they went down without any problems.

My first job was to re-scribe the whole kit and for a 1/72 kit of this size there is a lot but it is relatively straightforward. I started on the fuselage halves first as they have the awkward parts to re-scribe.

The top half is how it comes in the kit and I have started re-scribing the bottom half.

Then the tail plane. To re-scribe the winglets and supported the tail plane using a small block of MDF and a piece of blutac to keep it still while I was scribing.

And then the wings.

I have one mistake on the port wing so I used a bit of home brew Tamiya filler to sort it out.

With the re-scrbing all done I thought I would dry fit the parts to see how it looks. There will be one or two gaps to fill but the fit is quite good considering I haven't used any glue.

There is one thing I will be removing are the little stub wings above the nose canards but I will wait until I have glued the nose in place.

Still no glue used. The big gaps are around the air intakes but they shouldn't too hard to sort out.

I can't remember the last time I have dry fitted nearly the whole kit. To be continued.......
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 1/72 Angel Interceptor

Post by DavidWomby »

Great work on the rescribing. This is looking good.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Remember to lose the short vanes on the sides on the nose. These are added to make the kit Snap-fix back in the 80's.

Also plenty of inspiration from are Angel GB we held a few years back http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=190;
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks David.
JamesPerrin wrote:Remember to lose the short vanes on the sides on the nose. These are added to make the kit Snap-fix back in the 80's.

Also plenty of inspiration from are Angel GB we held a few years back http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=190;
Thanks James about the info about the vanes, I got caught the last time I did one. I thought I had posted on the forum but I can't find it. Here is a photo or two of my last one.

Cheers
Ian

Mike_h
Getting well comfy!

Post by Mike_h »

Looking good
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks Mike, I have ordered a resin cockpit set for the Interceptor so while I am waiting for it to turn up I turned my attention to the canopy. The plan of action is to sand out any marks and then polish using Tamiya polishes. If that doesn't work out comes my vacuformer. The good news is that the Tamiya polishes did their trick.

With that done I started on making the mounts for the stand. The last time I made of of these I used a machine bolt and brass tube as you can see from my last post. But on this one I am going to use 5mm acrylic rod mounted through the jet pipe. To do this I removed the locating pin in the jet pipe.

To give the rod extra strength and to keep the rod straight I added a small bulkhead with a 5mm hole drilled through it. I have added extra bits if plastic to give the bulkhead a better fixing to the fuselage half.

It doesn't have to look pretty as it won't be seen.

I also used a 5mm drill and drilled out the kit jet pipe.

Here is how it works.

At the minute the only thing that is glued is the bulkhead to the fuselage. The jet pipe will be glued when the fuselage halves are ready to be joined, the acrylic rod will not require gluing as the fit is tight enough to hold it.

So now I am just waiting for the resin cockpit. I wonder if there is anything good on the telly?
Cheers
Ian

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Where did you find the resin cockpit set, please?

David
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Cool. Is the acrylic rod readily available or is it something you make?. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

dwomby wrote:Where did you find the resin cockpit set, please?

David
David I have ordered it on the web from http://www.retrokit.net; but there are problems on the site at the minute apparently but I will let you know whats its like when it turns up.

MarkyM607 wrote:Cool. Is the acrylic rod readily available or is it something you make?. :grin:
Mark you can buy acrylic rod in different diameters from ebay which normally comes in 1 metre lengths.
Cheers
Ian

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks bud, will have to have a look!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SBO »

Spectrum is green!!! Can't wait to see this one finished. I love captain scarlet and you are really doing this justice. Eagerly awaiting more updates on this one
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The deep panel lines and heavy weathered look really suit this style of kit.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks chaps. I am happy to say the resin cockpit turned up from http://www.retokitonline.net;. From order to receipt took about three days which was quite fast. The detail isn't fantastic but it isn't bad either and it will do for what I want it for. As you can see you get the cockpit tub, standing pilot, sitting pilot on ejection seat, empty ejection seat and controls; so the options aren't bad.

To get the cockpit tub to fit required a bit of work but I put that down to the age of the kit. Before I finally glued the tub in position, the instrument shroud required sanding to ensure that the canopy would fit and also the seated pilot's arms required sanding as they were slightly too wide to fit in the cockpit. I then attached the cockpit to the fuselage half using CA glue.

I decided not to paint the cockpit until I have glued the fuselage halves together, added the wings, tail plane, etc because I know I am going to have a few gaps to fill and there will be a bit of dust around so I thought I would wait. I then turned my attention to the air intakes. To make them a bit more interesting I add two pieces of metal grill from my "scrap box". I stuck oversized pieces of grill to the kit grill with CA glue and once dry I trimmed the metal grill to size. I also added a thin piece of plasticard to the sides and lower edge of the kit grill as there is a large gap between the kit grill and intake sides.

I glued the fuselage halves together and filled the gaps with homemade Tamiya filler and strips of plasticard, giving then a rub down once cured.

The nose was added and that to required filling.

I normally leave the filler to harden overnight so its rock hard. Then I cut off the small vanes at the side of the nose and also the gun as I am going to add a gun latter on. Then it was just a case of rubbing the nose down.

The tip of the nose is too blunt so I sanded it to make it a little sharper.

I added the air intake sides which also required filling.

The other job I had was to fill in the for the forward undercarriage as its not required. To do this I just used a sanded down piece of sprue placed in the hole and glued and once the glue has cured I just cut off the excess sprue and sanded flat. I have done such a good job you can't see it in the photo, so I must be doing something right.

Cheers
Ian

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Nice work. I like the intake grilles a lot.

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Good work happening with this one.

Nigel

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”