Airfix Space: 1999 Hawk

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Airfix Space: 1999 Hawk

Post by Tarkas »

First "full-size" model I've done for some years. Due to lack of decent workspace, I've mostly confined myself to games miniatures since the kids arrived, but they're grown now and out on their own, so I can get back to "proper" modelling -- and this is the result! Had one of these when they first came out, but had to leave it behind when I came to the UK, so it was good to have another go at it, and I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out.

The first thing you'll notice is that it's not painted according to the scheme seen in the episode War Games -- no orange, various panels different colours, etc. Well, this is roughly based on the scheme given in the instructions, which is what I used the first time because I hadn't seen the show yet (Australian TV stations really messed about with Anderson stuff back in the early 70s), and also because I kinda liked the idea that Hawks were the successors to SHADO's Interceptors and wanted my Hawk to be stationed at Moonbase Alpha. Eagles are all very well, but they're not designed for combat. Which is why the model has Alpha emblems on the nose -- swiped from my MPC deluxe Eagle that will join the Hawk sometime in the future; really need more emblems -- anyone know of someone who does suitable decals?

Similarly, I liked the "beak" in black and white like the Eagle, even though it was a pain to paint, as were all the black panels. Tried Tamiya masking tape (and the SAM equivalent) for the first time, with middling results. The paints were acrylics, a combination of Humbrol and Citadel -- and I almost outsmarted myself using the latter because I mixed several shades and couldn't always remember the mixes; luckily, I didn't need to repeat the mixes much and was able to finagle those that I did.

No aftermarket stuff for the Hawk that I know of, but I picked up some resin baffles made for the Eagle and used one for the main engine -- which it sorely needed because it's one great bell shape but with locating pins running across it which, in "real life", blocks about half the nozzle! So the baffle looks a lot better. The side booster nozzles were just blocked off with putty and painted black inside.

Very light weathering, primarily on the underside. I don't like dirty spacecraft, particularly ones that enter atmosphere, but with all the moondust thrown up by the Eagles' lift engines on take-off and landing at Alpha, I figured the Hawk should have a little grime to represent that. With a few small patches and streaks to represent the odd fluid leak, coupled with some of the paint wearing off during painting (self-weathering, so to speak :grin:), she looks sufficiently used to not have that toy appearance about her.

Not a show-standard model (but I don't think I've ever done one of those :roll:), but I like it. 8-)
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix Space: 1999 Hawk

Post by iggie »

I like it too, very much indeed!
Is it 1/72?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Very nice rendition. Looks better without the orange.

David
celt

Post by celt »

Nicely done,like it. :)
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

iggie wrote:Is it 1/72?
More or less. I think it's supposed to be in scale with the 11-inch Eagle, which is said to be 1/72 -- though that figure is unreliable (just look at the mess Airfix made claiming the Angel Interceptor was 1/72 :roll:). The Hawk model is slightly shorter than the Eagle and looks about right that way; I don't think we ever saw the two craft together on screen -- in each other's gunsights, yes, but not otherwise -- so there's no real way to tell. I have a set of schematics for the Hawk which may or may not have dimensions, so I could look that up and compare them with the model... but don't hold your breath waiting. ;-)

[Later] In a wonderful example of irony, the day after I finished the Hawk and started this thread, the Modelling: 1999 book/magazine arrived in the mail (BTW, did anyone notice the significance of the date of that first post? :ha:). Interestingly, the various articles therein don't agree on the scale of the original Eagle kit, and hence that of the Hawk and various other spacecraft said to be in scale with it: some authors accept the 1/72 figure, whereas others go for 1/87 (or HO scale IIRC; suddenly those LEGO Lunar Monorails that were available when my sons were little take on a whole new meaning :mrgreen:). So the jury has agreed to disagree on that one, just as they do on many SF scale issues.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Near enough is good enough for me!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mike_h
Getting well comfy!

Post by Mike_h »

Very nice must get one for the collection
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Very cool
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

I love this Hawk, and always wish I had been able to grab one back in the day, as it seems no effort has been made to re-issue it like the Eagle. Did you find this one on eekbay?
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Yep. Took me three tries to get one, too -- that and some tactical bidding. The two previous ones went for more than my limit, anyway, and I lost one of them to the same last-second sniping technique that I used to win this one! :twisted:

I must say that the kit was in excellent condition; the box less so, but I bought it to build, not as a collector's item or investment. I have had and will get my money's worth from building it and enjoying it on the display shelf.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Agreed. A kit like this should be built, but for me it's a tall order when I see the exhorbitant prices for extant kits. Really a shame that Airfix never re-released it, as I would have snarfed at least one.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”