Nieuport 17X (Un'Ala)

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Titan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Nieuport 17X (Un'Ala)

Post by Titan »

I was looking through some old books on the first world war when I came across this solitary photo in the German section of captured allied aircraft.

I have never even heard of this particular aircraft before so I decided to do a little digging which was a very hard task indeed as information on it is very sparse.

In Nov 1915 two Italian aero engineers put forward an idea to the Italian war ministry that a monoplane was feasible and that they could have the new design ready for flight tests within three months, this idea was turned down on the grounds that it would be too unsafe in combat conditions.
One of the men Guido Vincenzo never gave up on the idea but without the financial backing of his government it meant that he could not design an aircraft from scratch and so he approached the French government about the possibility of lending a couple of airframes from them for redesign with the promise of handing all design notes over to them if the idea was successful, the French agreed but would only lend one airframe to him which was their very newly designed Nieuport 17.

So in January 1916 the Nieuport was delivered to a secret testing site just outside of Rome and was quickly stripped of all non essential weight for the testing, the lower wings were removed and the strengthening struts added.
The Le Rhône 9J engine was kept but some fine tuning was needed before the initial flight test to could start as it was felt that the engine would not be able to breathe with the extra speed the aircraft may achieve and a new instrument panel was also added.

Initial flight test exceeded expectations with the aircraft reaching speeds in excess of 260 kph this of course was with out the weight of machine guns which when added later reduced this speed to 230 Kph.
Initially the aircraft was named the Un'Ala ( One wing ) but later changed to the Nieuport 17X as a thank you to the French.

This is where I drew a blank as I could not find any more info, I suppose something must have happened to the airframe during testing but then if that was true why would this solitary photo show up in the captured allied aircraft of the Germans section in 1917 and actually now that I think of it (though not as fast) the Germans eventually had a le Rhone powered aircraft themselves the Fokker EV in 1918............I wonder.

Anyway here is what i think the aircraft looked like.....

Regards
Mark

Re: Nieuport 17X (Un'Ala)

Post by TobyC »

Great build.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Titan

Post by Titan »

Thanks Toby.
Regards
Mark

Post by iggie »

Really nice build, and great research to have found the mention of it in the first place
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Titan

Post by Titan »

Thanks iggie..... ;-)
Regards
Mark
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Great research & write-up and the model, especially the finish is outstanding !! Very nifty rib shading under the gleaming silver.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Great build and nice looking aircraft.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

A very fine build, an excellent research! Would be nice to know the whole story. Thanks for showing!
Best from Ivan
celt

Post by celt »

Great job,very interesting,enjoyed it very much.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”