AIRFIX 1/144 Saturn V Apollo

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

AIRFIX 1/144 Saturn V Apollo

Post by dollar19 »

Just slapped this together as a gift for my 4 year old grandson. No frills at all. It will be a ceiling hanger in his bedroom till he figures out how to get it down to play with it.

Sprayed it with Krylon rattle cans and used the 40 year old decals with a little help from a bottle of Future.
Probably not worth posting.... I made no serious effort building this but really did enjoy the "I don't give a damn" aspect of building it. It'll get broken after it's played with a while, but he sure will like his new rocket.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Re: AIRFIX 1/144 Saturn V Apollo

Post by Tarkas »

Looks good. You've obviously simplified the paint job for the third stage and up, but I doubt a 4-y-o is going to notice. Regardless, it does the presence of the real thing, so that worked. And I agree: sometimes, it's a good idea to forget about "accuracy" and rivet-counting (and Saturn Vs seem to come in for a lot of that) and just go for making something that gives a good general impression of its subject -- sort of the scale modelling equivalent of a semi-scale flying model. This does that, and I have little doubt that your grandson will be delighted.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Totally worth posting, irrespective of accuracy or rivet counts. Your Grandson will treasure this for years to come and talk of it for years after it has gone the way of all childhood kits.
Brilliant work and even better for why you built it!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

To make the Airfix Saturn V "accurate" (especially one made from the original moulds) takes a bit of an effort.

Sometimes building a kit "as the manufacturer" intended is very therapeutic and satisfying.

And if the aim of the project is to impress a 4 year old, that's perfectly fine.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great build and even better the reason for it. I have the same kit part built and my 6yo keeps nagging me to finish it.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Gregers - is your's the later red box version?
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Yep, it is. The parts I have put together have fitted quite well too considering the age of the molds.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The new issue has been corrected for some of the more glaring accuracy issues of the original moulds - so it makes up to a more realistic Saturn V.
celt

Post by celt »

Accurate or not it does not matter,you enjoyed building it and your grandson will love it,what more can you ask from a hobby.Well tidy.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Any 1/144 Saturn V is a real eye catcher. They're tall and black and white and really stand out on a shelf. I have one on display in my office and whenever I have clients visiting me they often make a comment about it.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”